Please help!! How to avoid customs on buying s3 from hong kong??

maximus_21

Disciple
hello everyone.. I would be traveling to Hong Kong from Bangalore in the month of October this year and i have decided to buy Samsung galaxy s3 there as its little cheaper compared to India. I was wondering how should i bring it to India and avoid paying customs for it?? please help :unsure:

They charge 2 percent customs on mobile phones. Considering you get it for around 30-32k there, your customs bill will come up to only 600 bucks...

They charge 2 percent customs on mobile phones. Considering you get it for around 30-32k there, your customs bill will come up to only 600 bucks...

are u sure its just 2 percent coz thts fine by me.. i hate paying 30% customs and the price will shoot up more than its in india.

- - - Updated - - -

Just open it, put ur sim card in and say its your personal phone while the other one is your work phone. Simple as that.

I was thinking of keeping my old phone in india and buying a new one there. Will they charge customs in that case too?

I just got my aunt to buy me 2 phones, a laptop and a tablet, all opened through customs without paying a penny. just open it and say its personal phone incase they ask.... no trouble at all.

I've ordered around 4-5 phones from the US via Shopnship in the last 4 months. I've always been charged 2 percent...

If you open the box, they normally won't complain. Moreover you can get goods up to Rs. 25000 without paying any duty.

I just got my aunt to buy me 2 phones, a laptop and a tablet, all opened through customs without paying a penny. just open it and say its personal phone incase they ask.... no trouble at all.

Alrite thanks a lot. btw should i declare it in customs form? I had been to dubai this march i had bought 2 watches from there, the moment the scanner picked it up one of the customs guy started yelling as if i had bought RDX or something. Then they asked me to come to the office and when i showed them the bill which said duty free..lolz. This is the reason i want to avoid such thing ever again.

- - - Updated - - -

I've ordered around 4-5 phones from the US via Shopnship in the last 4 months. I've always been charged 2 percent...

If you open the box, they normally won't complain. Moreover you can get goods up to Rs. 25000 without paying any duty.

I think its 35k now
http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cs-act/formatted-htmls/bgge-rules1998-ason-apl2012.htm

You can just throw away the box and bring the phone as it is your personal, keep in pocket and bring. I guess they do not check pockets and all when leaving the airport.

Yeah. Just keep it in your pocket and come.. no big deal. I got a DSLR, a 10" tablet and a galaxy S II all in my hand baggage. I think they only look for the checked-in baggages which are marked (with a chalk or something) during scanning...

Yeah. Just keep it in your pocket and come.. no big deal. I got a DSLR, a 10" tablet and a galaxy S II all in my hand baggage. I think they only look for the checked-in baggages which are marked (with a chalk or something) during scanning...

Will it be a good idea to keep moist tissues and in case we find any sort of marking after we do the baggage claim, we can remove it before approaching the exit (where they again xray the bags).
In Mumbai, they want you to xray every bag, carry on and checked in and everything.

From what i read above, if i don't have box for any electronic item then it is not counted as duty and i can claim to be personal / used right ? I am sure it won't be that easy. In case of small objects like Phone etc it is fine as you can carry them in your pocket but what about bigger stuff. Like i have a iHome iPod dock which i will be bringing with me to India, without box and wrapped in some cloth or something, i cannot just say i used it for last 10 months ? (But i do have a bill dated Feb 2012 or something).

Is it a good idea to carry bills of everything you get from there (mostly electronics) to show the customs the actual price and when it was bought ? Does it help in any way ?

From what i read above, if i don't have box for any electronic item then it is not counted as duty and i can claim to be personal / used right ? I am sure it won't be that easy. In case of small objects like Phone etc it is fine as you can carry them in your pocket but what about bigger stuff. Like i have a iHome iPod dock which i will be bringing with me to India, without box and wrapped in some cloth or something, i cannot just say i used it for last 10 months ? (But i do have a bill dated Feb 2012 or something).

Is it a good idea to carry bills of everything you get from there (mostly electronics) to show the customs the actual price and when it was bought ? Does it help in any way ?
for you is totally different as somebody above posted rules for people coming coming back after 3 /6/12 months to India they have more value available to them which goes as far as 75k

for you is totally different as somebody above posted rules for people coming coming back after 3 /6/12 months to India they have more value available to them which goes as far as 75k

Can you give me more details about this ?? I seriously need to know and get this cleared, whether the limit is 35K for a person like me who is going to return from states after a period of like 1 year and 3 months.

Can you give me more details about this ?? I seriously need to know and get this cleared, whether the limit is 35K for a person like me who is going to return from states after a period of like 1 year and 3 months.

here u go
Baggage Rules, 1998 - CBEC

- - - Updated - - -

here u go
http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cs-act/formatted-htmls/bgge-rules1998-ason-apl2012.htm

bought my Breitling watch in Singapore . i wore the watch and the box and papers were all in hand baggage . i didn't face any problems and proudly walked out through the green channel.

Back