Budget 51-70k Please help me build my NEW PC :)

jokestar

Recruit
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to buy a new PC. I have been using a MacBook Air and a Mac Mini, but I now need a powerful rig for video rendering and editing and image editing. I would also be gaming once in a while but thats not a priority at all. The PC would also be running for a large part of the day and maybe even 24x7 and so I am looking at a very silent PC but also delivering enough power when required. I am also at looking at using this PC for the next 3 years at least and upgrading when required ( GPU, RAM etc ).

Please help me build my rig.
  1. What is your budget?
    • INR 60-65k
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • I don't have any components presently other than my monitor and KB/Mouse. I will not be spending on the same as of now but will buy a better monitor in the coming months.
  3. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel i7 4790, i7 4770k or AMD - Please Suggest - Also, 2011 vs 1150 ?
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
    • GPU - Don't want to invest in any GPU as of now. Will buy later, but again open to suggestions.
    • PSU - Compatible PSU - Good Quality ( SeaSonic / CM / Corsair / Antec )
    • RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 16GB ( 2 x 8 )
    • SSD - 256GB ( Samsung/Sandisk ? )
    • HDD - 3TB ( WD / Seagate ? )
    • Case - CM Storm Scout 2 - Lost here, Please help. ( Full tower vs Mid Tower ? )
  4. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within the coming months
    • RAM - More if required ( 32GB )
    • GPU - Mid to High End GPU Depending on Requirement
  5. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Open to online purchase
    • TE Dealer
  6. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  7. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Adobe Photoshop + Lightroom - Image Editing
    • Illustrator - Basic Designing ( Logos, Stationery )
    • After Effects + Premier Pro ( Video Editing / Rendering )
    • Office Suite - Mainly Excel for office operations - Medium - Heavy files.
    • Gaming - Very less
    • Programming and Web Development - Basic
    • Downloading 24x7 operation
    • Heavy Browsing
    • Watching HD movies
  8. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Nothing specific, open to all brands.
  9. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strategy - Civilization 4 / AOE etc
    • Dota 2
    • CS
    • Might play high end Racing Games or trying new games once in a while ( Not Priority )
  10. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Nothing specific, what resolution should I be using for best experience ?
  11. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes and No - I want a silent PC as it would be in my room and running 24x7, but at the same time I want give OC a try. But more on the silent PC side.
  12. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 8/7 64 bit
    • Linux

I hope I have everything in order. Please let me know if I need to add anything else and if anything is not clear. Looking forward to buying my new PC :D

Thanks in advance.

• CPU - Intel Xeon E3 1230 v3 -16000, (newegg.com)
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte B85M-D3H -5500,
  • GPU - Sapphire R9 270x 2GB -14000,
  • PSU - Seasonic S12II 620 -5500,
  • RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 16GB (2x8GB) 1600Mhz -9500,
  • SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB -8500,
  • HDD - WD AV-GP 2TB -6800,
  • Case - Corsair 200R -4000.
  • TOTAL -69,800.

Hi bssunil, Thanks a lot for the configuration and the rates.

I do not want to spend on a GPU presently as I would like to buy a high end one later ( maybe in 6 months ). I do not want to compromise on the Case quality as well. So maybe if I can adjust the 14k into either the CPU / Case / Motherboard etc. What do you think ?

Thanks again for the input :)

The Xeon E3 1230 v3 is 18.4k on theitdepot. That newegg price excludes shipping and tax which take it to 21k. Some of the other prices might also be optimistic, so double check.

The Xeon E3 1230 v3 does not include an integrated GPU. You can look at the E3 1245 (~20k) if you want the iGPU.

Thanks @Crazy_Eddy for your input :) .
  • CPU - Intel Xeon E3 1245 v3 ~ 20k
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte B85M-D3H -5500,
  • PSU - Seasonic S12II 620 -5500,
  • RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 16GB (2x8GB) 1600Mhz -9500,
  • SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB -8500,
  • HDD - WD AV-GP 2TB -6800,
  • Case - Corsair 200R -4000.
  • TOTAL - 59,800
This what my configuration looks like. Few doubts before I finalise this.

1. I have read in many places that Xeon processors are the same as i7 but are not OC capable. So any reason why I should be going for Xeon over i7 , I do not have much idea and would like to know why it would be suitable for my needs.
2. Is the Corsair Case enough ? I will be adding maybe another cpu ( if Xeon ) and GPUs as well at a later stage and I do not want to spend again on the cabinet. Am I thinking in the right direction or am I wrong ? Please help me out here.

Rest seems to be great :D and thanks a lot again for the help :D .

You're right. I'm not sure why we're recommending the Xeon, since it was supposed to be a cheaper i7. It appears prices have gone up for the Xeons, and at close to 20k it costs as much as the equivalent i7, no longer making it a value buy. Only the i7 'K' procs can be overclocked.
BTW someone is selling a 2 gen old Xeon E3 1230 (i.e. Sandy bridge) for about 9k on ebay. The catch is that its an OEM piece with a 1 year warranty.

If you're planning a dual CPU Xeon config, you need a Xeon E5 2xxx series model and a board with the corresponding socket. linuxtechie built a similar system recently : https://www.techenclave.com/communi...el-i7-4930k-corsair-gskill-8x8gb-ddr3.164316/
The Xeon E3 cannot be used in a dual CPU setup.

Last edited:
Ohh, ok.

Thanks for the link, but I guess I would be going for an i7 then ? Now i am confused :p ! Please help me out here, and also what about Corsair 300R and do i require a Z87 motherboard or thats too much for my requirement ?

Xeon E3 1245 v3 clocked at 3.4GHz ~ 20k (on theitdepot)
i7 4790 clocked at 3.6GHz ~ 20k (on deltapage)
Obviously the i7 4790 is quicker for the same money.

It's safer to stick to a 9 series chipset (H97/Z97) for haswell refresh procs. Your system might not boot if the BIOS on an 8 series chipset like the Z87 hasn't been updated for the newer procs.
The Z97 chipset is useful if you have an unlocked K series proc like the i7 4790K (~22k) and you want to overclock.

No clue about cabinets, sorry.

Hi Guys,

Well I finally ordered a few things..

1. i7 4790K
2. Asus Z97-A mobo
3. Samsung Evo 250GB SSD
4. Seasonic s12II 620W
5. Ram - G Skill Ripjaws X - 2x8GB

Only thing left is the Case. I will buy the HDD later :D

Thanks again @bssunil and @Crazy_Eddy :)

Back