PLease help me choose a phone under Rs.18000.

artikle

Unknown Member
ex-Mod
Hi! I need to buy a phone in this week. I am smitten by the Samsung Wave. All the hardware that come with it at the price is amazing! Also contrary to someone's mentioning in this forum wave supports multi touch and pinch to zoom. But my only problem is that it is running on bada. I donot know whether I should buy the wave or see for some other phone. I want the phone to do everything and will not be changing the phone for another 4 years. I saw the nokia n8. But I feel there is no point waiting for it anyway as it has only 600mhz processor and would anyway be higher than my budget. I want no lags on my phone AT ALL. The wave doesn't seem to have any lag probably due the amazing specs. Can I find any android phone with similar specs or should I just pray that the bada apps will be a success and buy the wave? Also no 5800 and x6 as they are very very laggy(seen them) and also symbian 3 is coming and the present version is pretty outdated. Sorry for the long post but I still feel I didn't express myself completely. wave is presently Rs.17500 after tax.

What guys 22 views and no reply?Also feeling that the wave resembles monte so much, will people know the diff or might they think I am just carrying a cheap phone?:-(

Re: PLease help me choose a phone under Rs.18000. Presently looking at the Samsung Wa

Please! I seriously need help. I am desperate. And I am running out of time. I really need to buy the phone in this week. Please give your suggestions FAST:=(

Re: PLease help me choose a phone under Rs.18000. Presently looking at the Samsung Wa

if you are not after Android, Wave makes a very good device. And reviews are pretty positive. Only problem is with number of apps.

It is not that I am not after android. I like android but my only problem is - Is there a phone with the specs of the wave or anywhere near it within my budget? If there is such a phone I will be more than happy. But the phone should be getting the android 2.2 update.

Plz donot buy any of the Samsung touch phone!!

The touch screen will die in about 6 months...

I came to know this the hard way... i.e. how can someone give touch screen good quality phones so cheap!! :(

If android,I recommend the Xperia X10 mini or mini pro.

I have the mini and it is cool...

If not android then X6 and Wave are your choices...

I recommend wave then...

I feel that the x10 mini screen is too small and its specs are low. Also it will be very long before it gets the froyo update. May be it is the best phone for the price in android but I need a big screen. Thank You though:)

bhaskarvyas001 said:

I came to know this the hard way... i.e. how can someone give touch screen good quality phones so cheap!! :(
are you talking about Corby or star series?

pranaywhiz said:
Hi! I need to buy a phone in this week. I am smitten by the Samsung Wave. All the hardware that come with it at the price is amazing! Also contrary to someone's mentioning in this forum wave supports multi touch and pinch to zoom.

Wave is a nice choice for you budget range.

pranaywhiz said:
I saw the nokia n8. But I feel there is no point waiting for it anyway as it has only 600mhz processor and would anyway be higher than my budget. /QUOTE]

The Processor used is decided based on OS. Symbian doesn't need a 1GHz CPU and Nokia themselves have always been in the habit of using a optimal CPU that gets things done. In any case, as you said, N8 is out of your budget range and we don't know for sure when it will be available in the market.

[quote name='pranaywhiz']

I just pray that the bada apps will be a success and buy the wave?
desiibond said:
Only problem is with number of apps.

I don't understand this sudden craze over the "number of apps". Its the quality of apps that matter, not the quantity. Availability of 10,000 fart apps is not going to make the phone any better. An ideal smart phone should have most of the things you need out of the box. The SDK is provided so that developers can expand on what's already available. I can understand if someone says that Bada doesn't have an app for so and so tasks that you absolutely need to do from the phone, but talking about the usability of the OS in terms of quantity of apps available for it is kind of silly.

That said, I would recommend that you make a check list of stuff that you usually need to do on a smart phone and check what wave offers against that list. If it meets every thing on the check list, you don't really need to bother about availability of extra apps. If it doesn't, then you may need to look for alternative platforms that offer that functionality.
bhaskarvyas001 said:

How many Samsung phones and how many units of each model were analysed to arrive at that result?
Do you realize that most of the displays in these kind of phones regardless of the brand of the phone are manufactured by Samsung, LG and a few others? All phones with AMOLED and S-AMOLED displays using samsung displays.

Lord Nemesis said:

[quote name='pranaywhiz']I saw the nokia n8. But I feel there is no point waiting for it anyway as it has only 600mhz processor and would anyway be higher than my budget.

Symbian doesn't need a 1GHz CPU and Nokia themselves have always been in the habit of using a optimal CPU that gets things done.[/quote]

I would say that has been Nokia's mistake. They have shipped with slow processors, low phone flash memory, and low RAM even for high-end phones. Phone flash memory has special significance in Symbian OS. Now, for "smart" phone users, hardware that can barely run the operating system is not enough. They run apps too. Install too many apps, have too many contacts, have too many stored SMSes, fill SD card with random stuff and the phone gets slow. This has been a big turn-off for advanced smart phone users. Otherwise Symbian was an awesome OS with good dev tools for its time.
Lord Nemesis said:
I don't understand this sudden craze over the "number of apps". Its the quality of apps that matter, not the quantity.
Come on, you are being pedantic now. When a common man says "number of apps", he means variety, quality etc. of free/low cost apps that do what you want. But the "what you want" is an unknown when talking about phone of someone else. So one has to make guesses.

So yeah, when the comparison is between 10k apps and 20k apps, you look at quality and suitability. But when it is between 1k apps and 50k apps, number tells some story of other qualities also. Unless the approval process is extremely good and stringent.
Lord Nemesis said:
Do you realize that most of the displays in these kind of phones regardless of the brand of the phone are manufactured by Samsung, LG and a few others?
Yeah, Samsung is the king in mobile display panels.

Lord Nemesis said:

[quote name='pranaywhiz']I saw the nokia n8. But I feel there is no point waiting for it anyway as it has only 600mhz processor and would anyway be higher than my budget. /QUOTE]

The Processor used is decided based on OS. Symbian doesn't need a 1GHz CPU and Nokia themselves have always been in the habit of using a optimal CPU that gets things done. In any case, as you said, N8 is out of your budget range and we don't know for sure when it will be available in the market.
I don't understand this sudden craze over the "number of apps". Its the quality of apps that matter, not the quantity. Availability of 10,000 fart apps is not going to make the phone any better. An ideal smart phone should have most of the things you need out of the box. The SDK is provided so that developers can expand on what's already available. I can understand if someone says that Bada doesn't have an app for so and so tasks that you absolutely need to do from the phone, but talking about the usability of the OS in terms of quantity of apps available for it is kind of silly.

That said, I would recommend that you make a check list of stuff that you usually need to do on a smart phone and check what wave offers against that list. If it meets every thing on the check list, you don't really need to bother about availability of extra apps. If it doesn't, then you may need to look for alternative platforms that offer that functionality.
How many Samsung phones and how many units of each model were analysed to arrive at that result?
Do you realize that most of the displays in these kind of phones regardless of the brand of the phone are manufactured by Samsung, LG and a few others? All phones with AMOLED and S-AMOLED displays using samsung displays.
God! I don't want to start again on apps and processing power! :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Dear OP,

Today I went to samsung store and tried Samsung Wave properly and I really really beg you. Increase your budget to 22.5k and get HTC Legend. That Wave's UI looks utterly toyish and I don't like the phone's design at all. Apparently, there is lot of difference between youtube video of this phone and the real deal :)

A little comparision { hope its of some help }:

YouTube - Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 vs HTC Legend vs Samsung S8500 Wave

comparision:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3146&idPhone2=3141

+

Current Rankings Section at gsmarena :

GSMArena.com - GSM phone reviews, news, opinions, votes, manuals and more...

Wave>>>>legend

3.3" WVGA Super AMOLED>>>>>>>>>>>3.2" HVGA normal AMOLED

45nm ARM Cortex-A8 1GHz>>>>>>>>>>>600MHz processor

512 MB RAM, 2 internal memory>>>384MB RAM, 512MB ROM

1500mAh>>1300mAh

Bluetooth 3.0 > 2.0

Wi-Fi b/g/n >> Wi-Fi b/g

The 720p video recording on the wave is the best i have ever seen on a mobile so far.

+

the Wave has PowerVR SGX 540

I personally like the UI of wave.

And all of this at just Rs. 17,500:) seems like a no brainer to me:)

The wave looks totally different from monte. The wave is bigger and is no made of plastic !!

@desiibond

Which youtube video? could u please post a link ?

Back