Video Please help me chose one of these 32" LCD

abbY

Skilled
LG TX 650 - 200Hz, support for wide range of video formats via usb

Sony KLV EX 400 - support only for mpeg1 / mpeg2 video

Samsung B550 - according to one of my friend who got the B530 (exactly similar except for the front bezel) it doesn't support too many video formats via usb

-picture quality seems to be the same across the three, 1920 X 1080 for the three, Sony and Sammy are 60Hz and LG is 200Hz

-all of the above models are in the same price bracket, give or take a couple of K's

- I want to try to avoid the LG since the Sony/Samsung look better

- Does the 200Hz sticker on the LG gimmick hold any good ?

- Which video formats does the Samsung support ?

Usage:

HD's vids-15% of the time

XBOX 360-15% of the time

Airtel DTH - 70% of the time

I would appreciate any inputs especially people who have recently purchased one of the above.

I have Samsung B530 (40") but I don't think it supports any videos at all via USB... only Pictures and MP3s. If you don't wanna hook it up to your PC/Laptop for movie watching and wide variety matters to you then I think LG one makes more sense. However, I don't have first-hand experience of LG panel, I have seen Sony KLV-EX400, and the picture quality seems pretty similar to my Sammy B530. Will check what my panel can play and let you know.

Get the new 32incher Samsung C550 - supports most of the video formats through the USB port inc. .mkvs. :p

I'm planning to pick up the 40incher C550 probably be Sept. end.

Besides, do not be fooled by the 200Hz tech from LG. The usual 60Hz LCDs from Sony, Samsung and Philips almost equals if not better the LG LCDs. And if I were you, I'd avoid LG - their panels never appealed to me and because of their stupid marketing tactics. :\

Any idea what the price of the LA32C550J1R ? Does it really support mkv files ? Do you have any links of a review ?

Download the manual. I am sure the manual states what audio/video formats the TV supports. The manual can be downloaded from Samsung India's website.

I'm myself going to buy a 32"LCD. I have compared live performance of Sony, Samsung and Lg.

Briefing-

Technical

Both Sony(EX400) and Samsung LCD were in PVA TFT-LCD Panel and supports limited number of video formats from Pendrive.

LG (LD550, LD650) uses IPS panel which is superior then PVA and TN panels.

-You can read about TFT-LCD panels on Wikipedia here.

LG Response Time: 2MS. Sony Response Time: 6-7MS. Samsung: Unknown

Energy consumption is lesser in LG then hungry Sony. Samsung again unknown.

What my eyes see

LG's video quality is noticeably superior then Sony's or samsung.

Viewing angle of LG is more(better) then both sony and samsung.

Remote is OK quality for all the LCDs.

Audio Quality was hard to compare in store's noisy ambiance.

Real Deal

Panasonic is also making LCDs in IPS panel. I have to still checkout their LCD.

In retail LG, Sony and Sammy are almost equal (before negotiation) for parallel models. (Though LG is giving good offers).

Trouble

I don't know why but I have this hatred-ness for Brand-LG in my heart. I wanted to buy Sony first but LG's performance is extraordinary this time.

Also, Sony and Samsung models are available at much cheaper price in Gaffar or any other Grey Market; whereas, LG is not available there.

I was under the Impression that there are 3 Base types of Panels
PVA
TFT-LCD
IPS
So Sony and Samsung cant be PVA TFT-LCD. They are PVA.
Now Response Time/Input Lag is as follows
IPS>PVA>TFT-LCD
So IPS Panels have the highest Input Lag. But in your comparision u mention that LG has IPS Panel and a 2ms Response time which is 3ms greater than the Sony and Samsung PVA Panels. This is quite contradictory.
Most probably LG is mentioning the G2G Response times rather than W2B ones.
LG has a major weakness in displaying Motion. Next time you do a comparision please make sure that yuo watch Scenes with high motion and them compare them.
Also LG since it has IPS Panel has better viewing angles. Its more to do with the Panel than the TV.

The samsung 32'' model has PIP(Picture in Picture) :) which is really a great advantage. you can watch movie as well as cricket at the same time :D

Last week when i went to ezone for demo i felt samsung audio is little better compared to LG's. and what i liked more about samsung is they give support for MKV!! most of the 1080P contents in Net are in mkv formats so its really a good option i guess.

also check the below link and see 2nd Ques for more info

Samsung samsung LN46C630 46" Class (46.0 inch diagonal) 1080p LCD HDTV- NEW : Questions, Answers, How To, FAQs, Tips, Advice, Answers, Buying Guide

Samsung Manual shows lot of details on file format play

chk out page 21 it will blow your mind :D

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201003/20100316160008609/BN68-02594A_00Eng_0224.pdf

AJ

I was just about to start a new thread for the same purpose and then i saw this thread. I too am very confused between soo many options that are there right now. I had gone to Croma today to see some new 100hz LED Full HD screens, not LCD because prices have gone down since i last visited electronic shops.
Now, what i liked personally by taking a closer look at the screens was, how insane these LED TVs look compared to LCD. Contrast ratios are very high, great viewing angles and other features in the new LEDs make them stand out. LG are IPS panels and Sony use Samsung panels SPVA.
The LG 32LE5500, Sony Bravia KDL 32EX700 and Sony KDL 32EX500(LCD) are all brilliant Full HD televisions. I was there for almost 1 hour trying to get all the useful info. But you know how our Indian salesmen are. They dont know jack.

Its also very SAD that i cant find any decent reviews of them(32inchers) on the net except from customer reviews on Amazon. CNET.com has given the Sony KDL 32EX700(LED) a very lame rating which totally amazes me but it is true that the black levels of the EX700 are a bit disappointing.

In the Indian edition of WHAT HI-FI magazine, they have given 5stars on 5 to KDL32EX700. So there are always difference of opinions and that is why it is best to go and checkout the screens in person and take all the time you want. Take your PS3, 360 or any HD player and see the difference in the screens you wish to compare.

I saw the LG 32LE5500 and Sony KDL32EX700 side by side in croma, checked their brightness and contrast settings and can easily say that LG has better blacks and viewing angles compared to Sony. A very good feature which i saw in LG was the calibration feature (picture wizard) which takes you step by step to get a better picture. It has more features than Sony too.
I am not aware of any good Samsung LED screens that have similar features.
I would also appreciate if any of you can please shed some light on the new LED screens that are available currently in 32". I have a limitation of space so cant help but go for 32". What do you all suggest?
Sony KDL32EX700 retails for 54,900
LG 32LE5500 is for 46,500

Well its impossible for the LG to have better blacks then the Sony,unless the Sony backlight was set to max and that of LG set low.EX700 has a advanced next gen sharp panel with a faster response time and slightly better viewing angles then the SPVA panel.There is also the newer EX710 series with more efficient LED modules.

adder said:
Well its impossible for the LG to have better blacks then the Sony,unless the Sony backlight was set to max and that of LG set low.EX700 has a advanced next gen sharp panel with a faster response time and slightly better viewing angles then the SPVA panel.There is also the newer EX710 series with more efficient LED modules.
We underestimate LG some times and i also have never owned any LG HD TV till date. But atleast when you compare the LG LE5500 to Sony's EX700, the viewing angles are better in LG any day. I have been in the store and did all the R&D i could to see the difference in image. Sound is bad in LG. I just want to see a good review on the net on some nice 32" LED TVs which are available in India.

mod_to_odd said:
We underestimate LG some times and i also have never owned any LG HD TV till date. But atleast when you compare the LG LE5500 to Sony's EX700, the viewing angles are better in LG any day. I have been in the store and did all the R&D i could to see the difference in image. Sound is bad in LG. I just want to see a good review on the net on some nice 32" LED TVs which are available in India.
Well the only models that have good blacks are the LH90 and newer LX series.Viewing angles of LG Lcds are obviously better then Sony,samsung.
Not only are the blacks not good their Trumotion is again not really that effective as comparted to virtually every other manufactures implementation.
Here is the european equivalent of EX710 series,the 32" has the same panel as the 40" Sony Bravia KDL-32EX713 - DigitalVersus

^The usual HDTVs with the 60Hz tech in fact, performs on par with the LG panels with the TruMotion 200Hz tech, not even taking Sony's Motion Flow and Samsung's Motion plus into consideration here. The viewing angles are certainly better on the LG because it has the IPS panel compared to the SPVA panel on the Sony. OTOH, LG HDTVs are reknown for the SQ - it doesn't replace a home cinema system but is certainly better than what other HDTVs offer.

Back