Video Please help me decide on a 55 inch HDTV

Jasku

Skilled
Hi folks,

I have been contemplating buying a new TV, I currently have a couple Samsung 26' LCDs in the rooms and a 32' Sony LCD in the hall.

This 55' will replace the 32' Sony LCD. I would like to buy this from Bangkok, my family is there, and after reading reviews and threads at hifi vision, I was extremely tempted by the ST55, but its lack of availability has put me off, also the hall my hall will have decent ambient lighting, and reading about the care one needs to take for a plasma, decided against it.

This TV will be used for your soaps for family, personally for football matches, and HD movies. My budget is 1 lakh INR.

Keeping all the above in mind, I decided to go in for a LED.

These are the TVs that I got quotes for, please help me decide which one to get, I was hoping for the

Samsung ES7100 es6030 es6220, ES6030
HX850, ES8000 is almost double the cost of the above mentioned Samsung models

Is there any 2013 model to consider?

I am leaning towards the ES7100, dont mind going for the HX850, ES8000 is its absolutely worth it, but just feel it will push the costs and will definitely fall in the eyes of the customs.

The best part about the ES8000 is that it weighs only 16kgs compared to other 55' that weigh around 25-27Kg.

Please help me decide. Thanks in advance.

If Panasonic Plasma (US Models) THX certified are available in Bangkok - there's nothing else to beat. Although you decided against plasma - these models beat any LED.

None of these models will ever be made available in India.

How do you plan to beat customs ?

Just came across this (from hifivision forum by rajadeep)
....Buying from Bangkok is not a bad idea if u know the risk involved... You can visit this shop called Indra Electronic in Indra Square(or is it Indra circle)... It is owned by an Indian guy & most Indians buy from there... As they speak in hindi u should not have any problem clearing ur doubts... They also sell with International warranty which many claim is valid in India & some have posted on diff forums that they were able to register on the Samsung India website(which means they are registered for warranty)... You can ask them(Indra ppl) about that too... Also ask them how to get VAT refund on the airport & get 2 copies of the bill & the airport needs 1 copy for the Vat refund... From what I have heard these Indra ppl sell Hundreds of TVs everyday (mostly to Indians) so they can clearup any enquiries u will have....

or else proceed with Samsung (esp if they honor the warranty)

Are you looking at only 3D models ?

Yes the Samsung ES8000 is a beauty (she eez slim & has curves at all da right places) even PQ is stunning - speak to the above shop & find out the actual damages.

If Panasonic Plasma (US Models) THX certified are available in Bangkok - there's nothing else to beat. Although you decided against plasma - these models beat any LED.

None of these models will ever be made available in India.

How do you plan to beat customs ?

Just came across this (from hifivision forum by rajadeep)

or else proceed with Samsung (esp if they honor the warranty)

Hey Terence,

I have also read good things about panasonic plasmas, but the issue is that there are a lot of variables involved, like having controlled ambient lighting, maintenance to avoid IR, just feel there is a lot of hassle, if this for my bedroom, I would get a plasma without thinking twice, its just this TV will most likely be in the hall, and will be used by family, just apprehensive that a plasma may not get the care it needs.

As for the customs, I dont mind paying the duty, it still works out cheaper, although I am hoping the officers will be a little lenient and I can save some more.

So, please suggest me a decent 55' smart TV

Of the tvs you have mentioned the HX850 is the better one in terms of overall picture performance.
But all the above tvs are however being replaced by 2013 models.The HX850 for eg will be replaced by the W900A which will be the worlds first tv to use the QD visions Quantum dot tech with really wide color gamut.

Samsung has lined up the F8000 series - but I can't seem to find any detailed tech rewiews & compare it to Sony W900A. Of course both claim amazing things.

I had seen a demo of the ES8000 which was awesome, so the above (both models) ought to be better.

@adder - HX850 seems like a winner, but is it worth paying 40% more than a ES7100? I doubt the W900A will fit within my budget.
Well thats totally subjective as to whether its worth the 40% more.I believe the prices of 2012 models will fall significantly when they are on a clearance sale to make way for the 2013 models.So my suggestion is to wait.Sony is known to cut prices by a good percent in their clearance sale.

Even the samsung E7100 will be replaced by the F7100 so it could be had for a cheaper price if its on a clearance sale. But with samsung F7100 or the F8000 LCD/LED i wouldn't expect much improvement in picture quality vs the E7100 and E8000

Last edited by a moderator:
Well thats totally subjective as to whether its worth the 40% more.I believe the prices of 2012 models will fall significantly when they are on a clearance sale to make way for the 2013 models.So my suggestion is to wait.Sony is known to cut prices by a good percent in their clearance sale.

Even the samsung E7100 will be replaced by the F7100 so it could be had for a cheaper price if its on a clearance sale. But with samsung F7100 or the F8000 LCD/LED i wouldn't expect much improvement in picture quality vs the E7100 and E8000

These are the quotes in INR I got from Bangkok

ES7100 - 83k, ES7100 ES6030-61k ES6220 -81k
ES8000 - 1.15L, HX850 - 1.22L

Do you really think it will be worth the wait?

Ideally, the E6030 looks like a really sweet deal for a 55', but since I dont have much idea on these panels, I seek your assistance. My sis will be going to Pantip tonight will try and get some more quotes, any other model suggestions? I will check for the Panny plasmas CNET has them highly rated.

Is it safe to presume all of the above models would support PAL?

YES of course. This used to be a headache more than 15 years ago, but since then todays panels have universal support for PAL, NTSE, SECAM, MESECAM - the latter two may not always be specified. They will also handle all possible frame rates from 23.976 to 60fps.

And err is the E6030 really what you are looking at ? Do you have a link ?
The code would imply it to be a series 6 TV.

And also check whether the following are included [in case you wish to wall mount & you need to decide which of them you will use] - Not all the models come with them
Ultra Slim Wall mount
Mini wall mount
Vesa Wall mount
The above are quite expensive out here

The ES8000 includes all the above.

Samsung uk lists many new models in the F series - are these available in Bangkok
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/
(check - select the 55" option)

Ideally, the E6030 looks like a really sweet deal for a 55', but since I dont have much idea on these panels, I seek your assistance. My sis will be going to Pantip tonight will try and get some more quotes, any other model suggestions? I will check for the Panny plasmas CNET has them highly rated.

If you are mainly watching 2d picture quality then there won't be a difference between the ES6xxx and ES7100.But for 3d the top end models are a bit better.
Once the 2013 models will hit the streets the 2012 models should be sold at around another 10% to 15% less based on previous years findings.The top end models drop even more.
You could even find a 2011 HX925 for the price of the HX850 if the former was on a clearance sale and HX925 is even superior.

The series 6 and upwards mostly get a SPVA panel so chances of panel lottery are slim in smaller sizes and non-existent in sizes of 55".

Tvs sold in asia except japan support are multisystem and they also work from 110v to 240v so they can work in any part in the world

Where did you get these prices, I'm thinking of buying Samsung 55UAF6400 & Sound bar HW-F450,

where to get the dealer price, before planning the trip to bangkok, as trip cost will be 30,000/person

Back