Please help me in maintaining my data online

Hi all,

Couple of days before i encountered a problem and i need your help to sort it out.

Problem : There is a class of 60 people and each of them have to submit a project to me. It is cumbersome for me to check each persons mail and then view the project.Moreover, The project is an ongoing concern and the students keep on updating the information in the project as and when they feel like and then send it to me. In this way i get multiple projects from same person and sometimes i get confused as to which is the updated one.:annoyed:

Solution I thought of : Is there a way that each person can upload the project at a particular place online from where i can download it according to my comfort ?? Also the thing is that 1 person should not be able to view the project of the other (So that there no chances of copying :lol:). This way student can replace his project with the latest version and i wont have my mailbox overflooding with the mails.

What I tried : I used the google drive. I created a folder(X). And inside it i created 60 folders for each student where they can upload their project. But the problem here is that they can view each others project too, which is not acceptable. I can also live with the situation where no student can enter into the root folder(X) but can only put his updated folder in the folder(X) where he is encountered by a warning if he wants to copy and replace existing folder.

Please help me in this regard. It is important that i accomplish this today itself. agantuk ALPHA17 raksrules asingh
Sorry for tagging but this is urgent.

@aquaticbullet. Use Dropbox and share each folder with only the intended recipient. Files would automatically get syncd as and when they get uploaded. Cumbersome process, but functional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use Google drive ..

Create Separate folder for each student and give only that student Read\Write access to that folder.
Students are free to upload/edit the files as necessary to their personal project folder..
Revoke all access when the deadline finishes

EDIT: just the checked the issue you mentioned. I created one folder "TEST" from my account(123@gmail.com) and the used the Share option to give another Google account (ABC@gmail.com) "Can Edit" access to that folder.

I tried to access that folder "X" from a third account(xyz@gmail.com) and it says

key.png

Y
You need permission to access this item.

You are signed in as XYZgmail.com, but you don't have permission to access this item. You can request access from the owner or choose a different account. Learn more

That should take care of your sharing problem

When you share a folder with someone, only that person will be able to change its contents. He will not see other folders at all. So say you create a folder called Assignments in your Dropbox folder, and within that you create 10 folders student01, student02, ... student10. For each of these folders, you can individually 'Share' them with the respective student. That way, the student who gets the invite can see his folder - like student 1 sees only student01 - and doesn't see anything else. He can update its contents, and they will sync to your machine just like regular Dropbox files do.

Just ensure that when you share, you uncheck the option to allow the recipient to share further. That way the student can change contents but not the folder permissions.

Use google drive buddy...
it saves all the sequential saves and you can view all the changes by both date and time

I would go for dexBG, use google drive and give read/write permission on each folder you've created. This will surely make sure that they only access the folder you've given them access. As I can see you're almost there and the only missing is the folder permission.

jayson, dexBG . A question about offline editing. Now when I tried this thing long back, it said offline access for Google Drive was supported only on Chrome. Is that still the case? From what I gathered back then, offline access had to be set up, and wasn't a default.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, offline doesn't seem to work for Google docs, but it does work for regular ones. But I see a severe security issue - at least it is a big deal for me. If I open a Google doc for editing, it opens in the default browser, and logs me into the session, from where I can also access my email. WTF. Can't I set it to ask me for username password when I do this?

Agantuk,
For the google doc itself I also think it is not available offline, but works perfectly with say MS office files. Here is my suggestion for your consideration, install good drive tool on all members which will give them a "google drive" folder where they can work on offline.
Hope it helps. good luck

Why don't you get a file sharing code created? You could have your own hosting where in when a user logs in - he could upload / download or delete his own project file. I believe its a simple application that needs to be created and should not cost you lots of money too. Here would be the flow:
Main Page > Login > If Success > Show Existing Files (if any) > Allow Download of file > Allow Upload of File > Check if file exists > If exists > Rename File with datestamp
For the admin section
> View all files by user > create user > Once user is created a separate folder is created on the server.

Back