Please help me with my future studies confusion :P .

Scorpy

Adept
Well I am confused as hell about my future studies/career. I'm currently doing Information Technology engg in K.J.Somaiya College(Vidyavihar,Mumbai) and I plan to go for masters in some field that is available considering my IT field right now . Does anyone know what all branches are available for masters after doing IT engg ?

Now I kind of suck at studies . Yea I've got like 5 Keep Terms(some people call it backs or something) and I don't plan to get more :p . Is anyone here studying abroad and can tell me the procedure to apply for masters in USA universities ?

Ok here goes something crazy .. I plan to do MBA on top of my masters later :p .. like after 2 years of job after masters in the field ill choose . Is that a sensible thing to do :D or not :( ? Well I might sound like an asshole but I want a pretty good salary after I finish with my masters .. that of course will also depend on my grades which I totally plan to improve :D .

Also any way to improve my resume since my marks ain't good ? Any certificates I can get to improve my resume ? I'll ask more questions later :p .

Why do you want to do an MS before your MBA?

For MS college grades play a very important role in selection, more than the GRE score. Check the edulix.com forums for more information about higher studies.

MS cos I'm interested in learning more in my field .. mba cos I wanna make lots of money later :p ... ( dunno how that will happen ) . ... I dunno how mba helps .. but it does right :p ? I don't know the abc of commerce/mba :p

Well, the best you can go in for as some Top 100 US MS college and the total cost (all inclusive) without scholarship will be like 60-80 lacs for 2 years.

You won't get the top 20-30 colleges unless you prove to be exemplary somewhere.

Try for a good GRE score, minimum 1300, but preferably around 1500. Your Numerical score must be 790/800.

Try to go for good extra curriculars and stuff like that.

Your percentage must be at least 60-65%, though 70-75+ is strongly recommended for a good college.

You need to clear all your backs before you apply.

If you meet the minimum requirement, you may make it to one of the Top 100-200 colleges, but maybe without scholarship.

If you pass out with the recommended requirements, you might make it to the Top 30-50 colleges but again chances are that unless you are exceptional, you won't get scholarship from day 1.

After a Top 200 college, US starting salary around 70-80k USD and around Rs.8-12 lac INR indian package.

After a Top 50 college, around 80-100k USD or Rs.10-15 lacs per month india.

I am only talking of average packages and something which the 50th percentile or 75th percentile ends up getting.

I know extra curriculars are there to improve my resume .. but what are they ? I am phat so no use telling me about sports right now :p . Anything else ? What about the certifications of this NIIT and cisco certifications ? Ill get ~65% aggregate .. 70 is hard but Ill try to get that .. also I want a college in top 50 ... thats why I have opened this thread to know what can I do apart from improving my grades . I know its very difficult to get but still I want to try . Also I thot for masters fees was around ~50 lacs for 2 years ? isnt 60 lac fees for the mba college ? Scholarship is not important I just want to get into a good college I can manage the fees .

So please suggest me some extra curricular activities/other things with which i can get a valuable certificate !

Scorpy said:
I know extra curriculars are there to improve my resume .. but what are they ? I am phat so no use telling me about sports right now :p . Anything else ? What about the certifications of this NIIT and cisco certifications ? Ill get ~65% aggregate .. 70 is hard but Ill try to get that .. also I want a college in top 50 ... thats why I have opened this thread to know what can I do apart from improving my grades . I know its very difficult to get but still I want to try . Also I thot for masters fees was around ~50 lacs for 2 years ? isnt 60 lac fees for the mba college ? Scholarship is not important I just want to get into a good college I can manage the fees .

So please suggest me some extra curricular activities/other things with which i can get a valuable certificate !
Dramatics, music, dance, ed board, debating (and certis to prove you've actually participated); student organizations like AISEC, SIFE, MUN

including living expenses etc, everything inc, be prepared to shell out at least 60-70 lacs, if not more. for mba i would say 75-85+ lacs.

65 is okay if you clear all your backs.

but without some extra curriculars and a 1450-1500+ gre and a great toefl score, top 50 will be difficult.

with everything fine and just an avg %age, top 50 is fine!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

niit and stuff is crap

anything which isn't difficult to get is usually crap

and also strong SOP ad LOR, and good internships

SOP ill manage .. LOR also ill get it written from my head of department and 4th year project guide ? and for internships I dont have time .. I hardly get 20 days max holidays between the sems .. this leaves no time for internship .. and spending 1 year of internship after my engg is not desirable cos my dad retires in 2013 .. that is the year i graduate .. so yea ... time is precious

@letmein .. I suck at debates :p I cant speak in front of a small audience only lol .. i cannot do that :X .. and as for dance i mentioned i am fat :p .. and MUN lol I had those in my school and no i didnt take part in it but i didnt understand it at alllllllllll ... music I can do guitar classes and some trinity exam its called ? .. I just suck at everything :p ... computers I am interested in so i thought of cisco certifications and all ... hmmm man im confused ..

If you plan on doing a Master's in the future, and monies are NOT an issue, don't sweat it too much.
Get decent grades, don't slack off on that. Clear up your backlogs asap and try not to get anymore (I'm kinda unsure of how badly your old ones will affect you).

There are many very good schools that are pretty easy to get into for a Master's degree. You shouldn't have too much trouble.

I seriously don't understand why people think or have a notion that MS is too costly and quote in the range of 50+ lacs! As a matter of fact I have NEVER heard of anyone I know doing MS and incurring a cost of more than 35 lacs for MS no matter which university they studied coz they PLANNED well.

A simple breakdown of the costs can be as follows:

1. Tuition Fees

2. Living expenses

Detailed explanation of the above headers

1. TUITION FEES:

It depends on a lot of factors. But you can start with public and private. Public universities are cheaper than private simply because they are funded by government and have restriction with respect to fee hike. Top 100 universities is a VERY broad category. You must narrow down to a range of 25 at the most and then select at max 10 within that range. A GRE score of 1300+ with a good profile in your undergrad is more than good for universities in 50-100 ranks. Also make sure you check the departmental rankings as they are more important than the overall university rank. Now, depending on the university, tuition fees may range from as low as $10k (e.g. latech) to $40k per year or even higher. But if you are not going to a top 25 university, I really don't see a point spending a HUGE sum of money just for climbing up 5 ranks in the list. It really doesn't make any sense. I study at University at Buffalo which ranks in top 50 for my department. Tuition fee is $15k per year. You can take $25k for the sake of your calculation.

2. LIVING EXPENSES: (including food and everything)

This cost depends on the city you live. If it's a big city, living costs would be more. Smaller the city, lesser the costs. They can range from as low as $6k to as high as $15k. You can take $10k as average for your calculation.

Adding it all up:

1. Tuition fees (2 yrs) - $50k

2. Living expenses (2 yrs) - $20k

TOTAL - $70k ~ Rs. 3181150 (as per today's rate)

NOW, important part. All these calculations was assuming you have NO tuition waiver, no scholarship and no form of financial aid. Also, assuming that you won't work part time as well. However, when you do MS, working in your related field is actually better when getting a job and hence almost everyone works somewhere even if it may be for a few hours per week. Whatever you earn from this, you can subtract from your total cost. A LOT of people earn enough to cover their living costs on their own and need money only for the tuition fees.

Also, I would STRONGLY recommend you to seek a trusted foreign education counselor. Ask your seniors about that. Applying to US universities is not just about reading the instructions on their site and following them. It's a LOT more than that and it comes only by experience so ask seniors, friends and everyone you know who has knowledge about it.

One last thing. PLEASE for god's sake don't look at average salary figures by rankings of university. Ranking is far too less important of a factor that determines your salary. There are TONS of other things that affect your salary which are more important than ranking.

I agree with pretty much everything Amol has written here, minus

amol_cool said:
Also, I would STRONGLY recommend you to seek a trusted foreign education counselor. Ask your seniors about that.

I strongly disagree with the necessity of a counselor. Anyone with time, patience and diligence can do a MUCH better job than any 'counselor' would EVER be able to do.

A counselor DOES NOT have 'experience' so to say. Shortlisting a bunch of a universities on the basis of GRE/GPA trends and submitting a bunch of essays/letters is NOT what an application is all about.

stalker said:
I agree with pretty much everything Amol has written here, minus

I strongly disagree with the necessity of a counselor. Anyone with time, patience and diligence can do a MUCH better job than any 'counselor' would EVER be able to do.

A counselor DOES NOT have 'experience' so to say. Shortlisting a bunch of a universities on the basis of GRE/GPA trends and submitting a bunch of essays/letters is NOT what an application is all about.
You are probably saying that because you might have an experience of the so called "counselors" who just loot you and give you nothing which is why I said trusted counselor. By that I mean, one who really provides useful information which sites cannot. Good counselors are useful as they are in touch with their past students and thus you can get up to date knowledge about your university, their problems, funding scenario, jobs etc. Students who are already at the university you want to study can prove to be a great resource and counselors are the easiest way to get in touch with them (after friends and relatives).

Though most, but not all counselors are useless. You just need to be able to figure out that. However, if you really think you don't need a counselor and can manage everything on your own, then yea this can be skipped.

Tuition & Other Expenses - Graduate Admissions - NYU Steinhardt

Around 120k tuition fees for 1 year

Around 30k living expenses

Total around 1.4 cr

Obviously this is one of the most expensive colleges.

But most top 50 colleges which you will be able to make it to will cost 55-75 lacs all inclusive.

Public colleges may help you wind up within 40 lacs or so, but you need to be prepared to spend a little more just in case you need to go for a pvt one.

^ After a point it gets irritating :mad: :p .

@ Scorpy . I would suggest you do not worry so much about your future studies / masters right now .If I can recollect you are just in the 1st or 2nd year right ? There's still lot of time for you to take decisions. By the time you are in the 3rd/final year you will have a clear picture of what you want to do . K.J Somaiya is one of the top colleges for Engg. in Mumbai so there are chances you will end up with a good job with handsome salary after your B.E itself :). Work for few years, gain experience and then decide if you want to stay in this field or take up the management level route. Accordingly you can apply for MS or MBA in foreign universities or try and bell the CAT :p.

Most importantly , make sure you don't get any more K.Ts .I believe Somaiya is under Mumbai University and max KTs allowed would be 5 or 6 papers .Any more and you will end up losing a year . I am myself expecting a few backlogs in the 3rd sem papers which I gave this time . Already chalking out plans as how to make sure I enter 3rd year without any backlogs and a decent average so that I can sit for the campus interviews.

PS : By the way I was studying at the Somaiya campus for 2 years .Amazing place .Miss those days and the awesome Ice tea + maggie you get just outside the engineering building :D .

FaH33m said:
^ After a point it gets irritating :mad: :p .

@ Scorpy . I would suggest you do not worry so much about your future studies / masters right now .If I can recollect you are just in the 1st or 2nd year right ? There's still lot of time for you to take decisions. By the time you are in the 3rd/final year you will have a clear picture of what you want to do . K.J Somaiya is one of the top colleges for Engg. in Mumbai so there are chances you will end up with a good job with handsome salary after your B.E itself :). Work for few years, gain experience and then decide if you want to stay in this field or take up the management level route. Accordingly you can apply for MS or MBA in foreign universities or try and bell the CAT :p.

Most importantly , make sure you don't get any more K.Ts .I believe Somaiya is under Mumbai University and max KTs allowed would be 5 or 6 papers .Any more and you will end up losing a year . I am myself expecting a few backlogs in the 3rd sem papers which I gave this time . Already chalking out plans as how to make sure I enter 3rd year without any backlogs and a decent average so that I can sit for the campus interviews.

PS : By the way I was studying at the Somaiya campus for 2 years .Amazing place .Miss those days and the awesome Ice tea + maggie you get just outside the engineering building :D .
I was there for a whole of 2weeks in comps engineering. :p
Yeah the ice tea was pretty good. The people in my class not so much.
It's a good peaceful place. huge campus. But it was boring and tiring just to get to the college from the main gate :p

Yes yes peaceful campus :D and awesome ice tea :D . Even though its a good college in Mumbai how does it matter to the US universities if its not in the India ka top 10 ( all those IITs BITS and NITs) . See I can manage to get 70% by END of my 3rd year that is END of my sixth semester (WITHOUT ANY KTs) . So I can still hope for a good US university right ? I mean in the top 50 .

@Fah33m: I got 5 kts as in counting 2nd sem and 3rd sem .. .. so it will never pile up like that :) . I want to go to 5th sem without any kt ~~~~~!!!And ill make that happen .

But again even if I manage to get 70% and lets say a good SOP and LORs ... my resume still lacks other stuff :p . What the hell do I fill it up with :p ? (im not asking format here :p ) .. Any thing within my reach at this level ? Like some certification ? At the age of 20 anyone does Cisco certies ?

Oh one question I didn't see anyone answer ... which even I didn't find on google =.= ... " What are the branches/options available for masters after my IT engg ?" .

I don't think certifications will help much for MS. Instead, try to work with some faculty on projects and perhaps try to get something published with them. Also, try hard to get a good internship, maybe in some place like TIFR or an IIT. Recommendations from such places really count a lot.

And you can opt for MS in Computer Science, Information Sciences or Software Engineering (and other less common specializations like HCI). The last two are not available in all universities and might be slightly less competitive than CS.

Back