CPU/Mobo Please help with choice of motherboard

spolygon

Disciple
Hi Guys,

I know this has been asked many times but I am still confused and would appreciate some advice.

I had bought a MSI P6N SLI platinum mobo from UK and paired it with a E6750.
Unfortunately I have discovered that I cannot run RAM in dual channel mode as the board does not post if any RAM stick is present in the first two DIMM slots. Getting this board RMAed is probably going to be a pain.

So am considering buying a new mobo for the 6750 with plans for upgrading to the 45nm quads when they become reasonable.

I am horribly confused about which board to get. Now that Asus 965/975 boards support the 45nm processors is it better to go with something like the P5B deluxe or should I get a P35 board. What real benefit do I get?
And what about the Nvidia 6 series?
I do want a reliable board (with cooling on NB, SB etc) that hopefully would not crap out on me in a year or two.
I can extend my budget but would prefer something under or around 10K.
I do plan to overclock but nothing extreme.
More than one IDE slot would be preferable but can live with only one slot.

I would appreciate suggestions, availability and if possible Bangalore prices.

Thanks

^be aware tat it is rev-01 . . :p

wats up with soo many faluty ram slots on the mobo's these days..:(

DAMN!...i'll prolly have a tough time in a few days for a mobo myself..:|

Thanks guys.

So its ver3.3 of the Gigabyte board that I want?

And a new one will put me back about 9500? Is that right?

Does it make more sense to spend a liitle extra and get a newer board?

I cannot see anywhere on the Gigabyte site that their 965 boards support the 45nm processors, just that they support 1333 FSB. So just wanted to be sure since I may as well futureproof (to the extent I can)!

Any ideas about the newer P35 board pricing from Asus, Gigabyte and MSi etc?

P965 chipsets are compatible. But there is no definite rule that a particular P965 motherboard will support penryns. For that you would have to wait for the manufacturer to release a bios update supporting the new processors.

If you are buying a new board now, its much better to go for a P35 based one. If you can go for a P5K-deluxe it will serve you well. Gigabytes P35-DS3R and DQ6 are also very good, but lot more expensive.

Also saw P5KC board bought at ~10k i think. Look here - http://www.techenclave.com/forums/my-new-rig-95573.html

Seems to be a good one with 2 DDR3 slots. But research on it before biting. Good luck.

How about the XFX 680i Ultra series , i hear they are kickass .... :) dunno much about c2d's atm ... ( amd guy here ) but i hear from the OC bigwigs that this is a good board .

Well problem solved.

I had decoded to go to SP Road in an hour to get a new board, when I saw that MSi website had a new firmware for the p6n SLI Platinum and since I had nothing to lose, i flashed the BIOS, and lo and behold now the RAM can be run in dual channel mode. So the board was not busted after all. Somehow it was a memory compatibility problem. Anyway I am not complaining. :)

Will stick with this for now.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Back