please suggest a best >= 48" TV

seshu

Adept
please suggest a best quality TV for a friend (residence at remote area)

he is confused among brands & many models - prefers a reputed brand.

Sony : KD-49X8500C , KDL-50W800D , KDL-50W950D

Samsung : 48JU7500 , UE48JU7000T

LG : 43UF770T , 49UF850T , UF670T , UF640T

Panasonic , Toshiba can be also considered.

1. Budget.
one Lakh - one and half Lakh

2. Viewing distance.
10 ft - 20 ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.
HDMI , DTH

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.
LED

5. Preference for brands.
Reputed Brand
eg. Sony , LG , Samsung , Panasonic , Philips , Videocon , Toshiba .. etc

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?
No.

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.
morning : natural light , night : regular tube light (36W)

Thank You

Last edited:
please .. waiting for your kind suggestions ..
IIRC, many TE members have huge sized televisions :)

( reviews at mouthshut.com has complaints against almost all the brands ! )

If you are willing to spend a lil more , you should take a look at the Samsung JS9000 SUHD
I tried the mid and top tier models from Sony/LG/Samsung and the contrast ratio and the color accuracy on this set is significantly better than the competition (except maybe the LG OLEDs which are a lot more expensive)

I would say go for a Plasma. I myself purchased a Samsung Plasma F5100 a few years ago for 75k. For his budget he could easily get a 65-75" inch Plasma and that would be better than LEDs in my opinion. My next upgrade would definitely be along the same lines or a projector setup.

Last edited:
I'm also looking to buy LED tv and had 3 models in mind. W800D, W950D and UF850T. Went to local showroom had a demo of all three with tatasky as input(both SD and HD). Straightaway rejected LG UF850T(49"), IPS panel is no match with sony's VA i guess. Also SD channels looked terrible in LG :(. Though W800D and W950D almost produced similar picture, but 950D was slightly better. Also sound quality in 950D is superb. So finally decided on W950D, but now confusion over the size :(
My viewing distance is 5 ft, So everyone in home saying to go for 43", but originally i planned for 50". Then price difference between 43 & 50 is 38000 in the city where i stay now. So mostly i will go for 43W950D before end of the week.

I would say go for a Plasma. I myself purchased a Samsung Plasma F5100 a few years ago for 75k. For his budget he could easily get a 65-75" inch Plasma and that would be better than LEDs in my opinion. My next upgrade would definitely be along the same lines or a projector setup.
Really?
The newer LEDs Not only beat Plasmas on PQ, they aren't plagued by the high power consumption and fickle lifespan of plasmas
Why would you recommend a dying technology to someone planning to buy something new?

PS: for the OP, given that your friend has a good budget for a 48", he should look at the Sony X series or the Samsung 8/9 series and not the lower quality panel models you have listed above

^ Can you explain further about low quality panel? In what way W series is having low quality compared with X series except its 4K? Which model of X series you have seen in particular?

^ Can you explain further about low quality panel? In what way W series is having low quality compared with X series except its 4K? Which model of X series you have seen in particular?
I was looking for a 4K screen earlier this year and compared several screens (including 1080p)
I also used own sources instead of relying on the demo content to make the comparison a meaningful one

The w850c is not a bad tv , far from it..
however, the peak brightness and contrast pales in comparison against the Sony X9 or the Samsung 9 (or even 7) series
Also the color degradation off-axis doesn't help its cause
The tier 1 models also support local dimming (partial) which significantly helps in dark movie scenes or blacking out the letterboxes bringing them a lot closer to OLED black levels

I eventually ended up getting a Samsung JS9000

In the case of the OP, since he has a good budget for a 48", he should anyway be looking at 4K (and not 1080p) + also be considering the top tier models with wider color gamut (its not a gimmick, the Colors on the Samsung SUHDs/Sony Triluminos are significantly better looking than the normal ones)

Really?
The newer LEDs Not only beat Plasmas on PQ, they aren't plagued by the high power consumption and fickle lifespan of plasmas
Why would you recommend a dying technology to someone planning to buy something new?

PS: for the OP, given that your friend has a good budget for a 48", he should look at the Sony X series or the Samsung 8/9 series and not the lower quality panel models you have listed above
Deeper blacks and no tearing during fast action scenes, sports and gaming is what makes Plasma a better choice for me. Also the technology has totally matured so all niggles and issues have been taken care of.
You also get a bigger screen size for same amount of money and that makes it more VFM in my book.
Hence my suggestion for a Plasma. I don't delve much into the details when buying a TV but many experts like yourself, still prefer Plasmas over LEDs. I guess both technologies still have a market although Plasmas might soon become difficult to find.
My upgrade will still be a Plasma though as I would get a bigger screen and good PQ in a decent amount instead of having to spend through my nose for a good LED in same size.

Deeper blacks and no tearing during fast action scenes, sports and gaming is what makes Plasma a better choice for me. Also the technology has totally matured so all niggles and issues have been taken care of.
I'd say it's the other way round
Plasmas were and continue to be good for motion and the deeper blacks - However they still have an issue when it comes to power consumption and availability in high resolutions (cost advantage against LCD is off at 1080p)
Also, let's not forget that they will have an excellent contrast ratio on paper due to the deep blacks but in reality, they have far duller whites than even mid-tier LCDs

Thus they are good , probably better than LCD for SD content

However over the last few years, these disadvantages of LCD have been nearly closed
faster LEDs have nearly eliminated motion tearing , localized dimming + higher quality panels have brought black levels to near par with plasma

The traditional advantages have been further improved - lower power consumption , far wi(arguably ) better color rendition + assuming you have the right source and TV, a 10 bit color space (and no, it isn't a gimmick - while sources are sparse, I recently rewatched The Martian in 4K 10bit and the experience was better than theatre)

In any case, I doubt buying a 720p plasma makes any sense today except for some very specialized use cases

Last edited:
I'd say it's the other way round
Plasmas were and continue to be good for motion and the deeper blacks - However they still have an issue when it comes to power consumption and availability in high resolutions (cost advantage against LCD is off at 1080p)
Also, let's not forget that they will have an excellent contrast ratio on paper due to the deep blacks but in reality, they have far duller whites than even mid-tier LCDs

Thus they are good , probably better than LCD for SD content

However over the last few years, these disadvantages of LCD have been nearly closed
faster LEDs have nearly eliminated motion tearing , localized dimming + higher quality panels have brought black levels to near par with plasma

The traditional advantages have been further improved - lower power consumption , far wi(arguably ) better color rendition + assuming you have the right source and TV, a 10 bit color space (and no, it isn't a gimmick - while sources are sparse, I recently rewatched The Martian in 4K 10bit and the experience was better than theatre)

In any case, I doubt buying a 720p plasma makes any sense today except for some very specialized use cases
Mine is a 1080p Plasma.
Higher power consumption might be an issue for some and not for others.
Also, as you already know, it's the viewing distance that matters. If one has a longer viewing distance a normal person can't differentiate between 720p and 1080p.
I usually watch my own content and I too agree that a full Bluray looks far better than a rip. However, again, distance comes into play. At a far enough distance a good quality 13-15Gb 1080p rip looks just as good as the 40Gb full Bluray.

Like I said, for me a Plasma seems better when buying bigger screen sizes as you get good PQ at comparatively lesser price.
I already have a 51" and my upgrade would be preferably a 75". If not, then definitely a 64". When you get to those sizes, good quality LCD panels become comparatively more expensive than their Plasma counterparts.

Edit - Looks like I spoke too soon. Couldn't find any Plasmas online for sale in India apart from lower spec model. Best I could find was same model as the one I currently have. Looks like I'll have to go for a projector setup instead since I am looking for a VFM large screen setup or hope that LEDs become cheaper.

Last edited:
Looks like I spoke too soon. Couldn't find any Plasmas online for sale in India apart from lower spec model. Best I could find was same model as the one I currently have. Looks like I'll have to go for a projector setup instead since I am looking for a VFM large screen setup or hope that LEDs become cheaper.

There are no Plasma's produced anymore. Whatever you find would be a left over stock. My LG Plasma conked off and LG simply said they don't have any spare panels to replace.

Back