Budget 21-30k Please suggest a family PC for 30k

Jasku

Skilled
Hey guys,

Trying to setup a family PC for one of my relatives, they are tight on budget, it would be great if we can have everything within 25k, else they are ok to stretch until 30k. Please see the responses within the template below and suggest a complete rig, also one with a decent upgrade path, know its too much to ask given the budget, but whatever optimum would be great.

Questions

1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model) Nil
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)Nil
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel G2010
    • Motherboard - H61 or H75
    • GPU - 7750 may not fit in budget
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • For a couple years. Please suggest upgrade path
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Chennai
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes/No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Programming C, JAVA, the works..
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • Photoshop
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Nope
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • FPS - COD series, and other latest
    • Arcade games - Fifa, racing
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usageWhatever works within budget, not sure if full HD will be effective on a 20'
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit

Have a look at a setup similar to your needs : http://www.techenclave.com/communit...for-my-6yr-old-kid.147255/page-2#post-1845316
1.Intel G2010.......................3500
2.GB GA-B75M-D3H..........4300
3.WD Blue 1TB HDD...........4000
4.Dell 2240L Monitor..........9400
5.APC 600VA UPS...............2200
6.Seasonic S12II 520W.......4300
7.Corsair CMV1600 4GB....2200
8.Asus AMD ATI7750.........7500
Total=37400
9.LED fans...............................748
10.CM N300 cabinet............3700

Changes you could make to bring it within budget :- Drop the UPS. Get the S12II 430. Scale down the monitor. Get a H61 chipset (although B75 would have onboard USB 3.0 ports). Get a smaller HDD. Cheaper cabinet like maybe the CM Elite 311 mentioned above.

No reviews of the Thunder. Best avoided for now.

KK as ur budget is limited to 30k I cannot recommend a good intel PC, so here goes the AMD config

Processor - AMD A10 6800k - Rs 9925
MotherBoard - ASUS F2A85-M-LE - Rs 6085
RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB - Rs 4570
Cabinet - Cool Master Elite 311 ATX Cabinet - Rs 2130
PSU - Cool Master Thunder 500W - Rs 2985

TOTAL - Rs 25695

HDD ur choise n choose a monitor ranging some 5k

Thanks for the reply.

Dude, its close to impossible to get a HDD and monitor in less than 5k.

The combo of a G2010+H61 or B75+7750 would be best suited, I am trying to squeeze in a quad core within the budget maybe the FX6300+760 chipset, but then would have to downgrade on the GPU, can someone suggest a lower end GPU that would fit within 4k and handle 720p or at least the native resolution of a 20'?

@ALPHA17

Edit - Thanks @Crazy_Eddy , yes I did look at that thread, just wondering if the dual core would last them a couple years and would effective with day to day productivity? Do you think it would make sense to squeeze in a quad core, and dial it down on the GPU, although I am not sure which one to go with

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply.

Dude, its close to impossible to get a HDD and monitor in less than 5k.

The combo of a G2010+H61 or B75+7750 would be best suited, I am trying to squeeze in a quad core within the budget maybe the FX6300+760 chipset, but then would have to downgrade on the GPU, can someone suggest a lower end GPU that would fit within 4k and handle 720p or at least the native resolution of a 20'?
why I recommend u AMD a10 6800k is it has a medium range GPU, so u donot require an external GPU n it has HDMI out which means it can/will decode HD videos of 1020p also.

Try to shrink in cabinet n SMPS. I am not sure how many watts SMPS is required.

so u can take a monitor for 5k + HDD as it suits u(better go for some guys who sell here)

Edit : u can go for this Mother board also

http://www.theitdepot.com/details-MSI+FM2-A85XMA-E35+32GB+DDR3+AMD+Motherboard_C13P18010.html

Here's a bang-for-the-buck pc:

Processor - AMD FX4100 ₹6799
Motherboard - MSI 760GM ₹2899
Graphic Card - Sapphire ATI HD 7750₹7175
RAM - Corsair DDR3 (1 x 4 GB) ₹2299
Power Supply - Corsair VS450 ₹2399
Monitor - Dell S2240L 21.5 inch₹9396
Cabinet - Cooler Master 3100 ₹1800 (Buy locally)

TOTALS - ₹32767

Go for Sapphire ATI HD 6670 to save ₹2000

Thanks, but you forgot the HDD my friend :(

This is harder than you think, you want to suggest a balanced PC, but given the budget, I will have to compromise on something, need to get the prioritization right.

Buy HDD from local shops, they are cheaper locally. You can grab a 500gb from Seagate for around ₹2800.

To cut costs you can go for AMD A4-5300 for ₹3200 and MSI FM2 for ₹3500. This saves you ₹2000.
Also you can opt for a cheaper GPU like ZOTAC NVIDIA GT 630 for ₹4250 or Sapphire ATI HD 6670 for ₹5160.
Cheers !

Intel G2010 -3500
P8H61-M LX3 (get the latest b3 version) -3200 (only has a vga port so make sure your monitor has one too, in case you aren't buying a gpu immediately)
4GB RAM -2200
500GB HDD -3300
PSU Antec VP450 -2600
UPS 600VA -1600
Monitor 22" - 8500
DVD RW -900
Keyboard+ Mouse -500
Speakers - 500
Cabinet -1000

Total : about 28,000

You can either increase your budget to fit in a graphics card, buy a cheaper monitor, or buy the gpu later. If your area has power cuts, then don't omit the UPS. You can also probably get the prices down a bit if you buy everything from 1 shop.
Got the prices from http://www.deltapage.com/list/index.html and primeabgb (antec psu only).

Intel G2010 -3500
P8H61-M LX3 (get the latest b3 version) -3200 (only has a vga port so make sure your monitor has one too, in case you aren't buying a gpu immediately)
4GB RAM -2200
500GB HDD -3300
PSU Antec VP450 -2600
UPS 600VA -1600
Monitor 22" - 8500
DVD RW -900
Keyboard+ Mouse -500
Speakers - 500
Cabinet -1000

Total : about 28,000

You can either increase your budget to fit in a graphics card, buy a cheaper monitor, or buy the gpu later. If your area has power cuts, then don't omit the UPS. You can also probably get the prices down a bit if you buy everything from 1 shop.
Got the prices from http://www.deltapage.com/list/index.html and primeabgb (antec psu only).

Thanks, a couple questions:

1)They have agreed to use the Keyboard, mouse and UPS from the old computer. So, that gives us 4.5k, what GPU would be worth buying?

2) Will some of the older games like CS, COD2 work with the stalk G2010+H61?

Thanks, a couple questions:

1)They have agreed to use the Keyboard, mouse and UPS from the old computer. So, that gives us 4.5k, what GPU would be worth buying?
Would they want to settle for a used-card? If yes, you may get some months-1 year old HD5670, HD6670 etc. with 1 good 2 years warranty.
2) Will some of the older games like CS, COD2 work with the stalk G2010+H61?
CS, yes. COD2 I'm not sure. I haven't played that game. :/
A 500GB 7200RPM will cost around 3200 or 3100 after bargaining.
Also could you tell us you are inclined on getting the Pentium SB?

Would they want to settle for a used-card? If yes, you may get some months-1 year old HD5670, HD6670 etc. with 1 good 2 years warranty.

CS, yes. COD2 I'm not sure. I haven't played that game. :/
A 500GB 7200RPM will cost around 3200 or 3100 after bargaining.
Also could you tell us you are inclined on getting the Pentium SB?

Well, its not like I am inclined, but I dont see any other VFM at that price point suiting the requirements, please feel free to propose an AMD based setup. It would be great if they can get FX6300+760 Chipset+7750, somehow wont fit in the budget.

Get the best monitor you can afford...the bigger the screen size, and the higher the resolution the better. It'll be the last thing you upgrade, and the only thing you see on a daily basis, so don't skimp here.
With regards to the GPU, since you've got 4.5k to spend on a GPU, I'd suggest upping the budget slightly, and getting a 7750. That way almost everything in your machine will have a 3 year warranty, and you won't have to compromise on performance anywhere. If you buy something less powerful, you'll outgrow it soon, and have to spend more down the line.
If you've got an old ATX cabinet, you can save some money by using that instead of spending on a new one. Just make sure you've got enough airflow...if not install a couple of 80mm fans...they should cost between 50-150 bucks.

Do you think it would make sense to squeeze in a quad core, and dial it down on the GPU, although I am not sure which one to go with
You need to tell us what CPU demanding tasks (optimised for multiple cores) your relatives would be running, and the ratio of usage against other tasks. In your list only photoshop looks a bit intensive, but they might not use it as often.

If you need a quad core, its a toss up between an Intel i5 or an AMD FX 8xxx. And both cost roughly the same.

A lot of uninformed folks would lead you to believe that the A10 or FX 4xxx are quad core CPUs - they are not true quad cores - AMD knows this and calls them '2 module' processors. AMD can't afford to be generous by selling you a quad core for cheap. They are pricing it at points where they think its competitive with the equivalent Intel CPU. They priced the FX 4xxx at ~7k because they feel its competitive against a similarly priced dual core i3. If it was even remotely competitive to a quad core i5 they would've priced it at 10k instead of the FX 8xxx.

why I recommend u AMD a10 6800k is it has a medium range GPU, so u donot require an external GPU
I don't get this logic of recommending an expensive APU to compensate for a dedicated GPU. An A10 6800K for 10K is not better than a G2010 + 7750 for ~11k.

You need to tell us what CPU demanding tasks (optimised for multiple cores) your relatives would be running, and the ratio of usage against other tasks. In your list only photoshop looks a bit intensive, but they might not use it as often.

If you need a quad core, its a toss up between an Intel i5 or an AMD FX 8xxx. And both cost roughly the same.

A lot of uninformed folks would lead you to believe that the A10 or FX 4xxx are quad core CPUs - they are not true quad cores - AMD knows this and calls them '2 module' processors. AMD can't afford to be generous by selling you a quad core for cheap. They are pricing it at points where they think its competitive with the equivalent Intel CPU. They priced the FX 4xxx at ~7k because they feel its competitive against a similarly priced dual core i3. If it was even remotely competitive to a quad core i5 they would've priced it at 10k instead of the FX 8xxx.

I don't get this logic of recommending an expensive APU to compensate for a dedicated GPU. An A10 6800K for 10K is not better than a G2010 + 7750 for ~11k.

You are absolute right, at the moment it would just be the seldom use of photoshop, in terms of longevity for a couple years, newer games seem to be optimized for multiple games and hence thought a quad core would extend the life of the system.

Another point is that the upgrade path with the am3+ will enable steamroller compatibility, with the h61,one is limited to ivy.

That was my rationale, but the budget wouldn't allow for it unless I dial down on the gpu which means a gt630 or a 6670 and I don't know how good these would at 1400x900 or full hd for that matter.

Which system do you think would be more effective and long-lasting

1. G2010+h61+7750
2. FX 6300+760+gt630

I am totally zapped with this request for a configuration, so please share your thoughts.

Another point is that the upgrade path with the am3+ will enable steamroller compatibility, with the h61,one is limited to ivy.

Which system do you think would be more effective and long-lasting
1. G2010+h61+7750
2. FX 6300+760+gt630
Good point about the upgrade path with AM3+ socket. In that case:
3. X2 270 (~3.5k) + 760 + 7750 and upgrade CPU later when the need arises/when Steamroller is out.

Since you're looking at a quad core upgrade path, the motherboard's VRMs need to be upto spec. Someone had posted this link which should help pick the right models (the MSI 760GM-P21 mentioned above has a low 95W TDP - quad cores are usually 125W and above). The Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 looks like a good pick.

OR
With the G2010 + H61, you could look at a second hand Ivy/Sandy bridge quad-core when you decide to upgrade. Or the 4k price difference between the G2010 and FX6300 could be used towards upgrading the motherboard + equivalent Haswell/Broadwell processor in future.

Good point about the upgrade path with AM3+ socket. In that case:
3. X2 270 (~3.5k) + 760 + 7750 and upgrade CPU later when the need arises/when Steamroller is out.

Since you're looking at a quad core upgrade path, the motherboard's VRMs need to be upto spec. Someone had posted this link which should help pick the right models (the MSI 760GM-P21 mentioned above has a low 95W TDP - quad cores are usually 125W and above). The Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 looks like a good pick.

OR
With the G2010 + H61, you could look at a second hand Ivy/Sandy bridge quad-core when you decide to upgrade. Or the 4k price difference between the G2010 and FX6300 could be used towards upgrading the motherboard + equivalent Haswell/Broadwell processor in future.

Thanks, after a lot of thought, this is what I have suggested em, lets see if they say it exceeds their budget:

Note- Havent suggestion option 2(30.7k), will suggest if they turn down the 1st.

config.PNG
config.PNG

Back