Please suggest a good Front loading Washing machine

ssra

Disciple
-Used IFB for nearly 7 years, Don't want to buy this brand again.
-looking for 6.5 to 7kg
-Siemens dropped because of services and drum issues.
-currently considering between LG/SAMSUNG
-have no love or hate for direct drum/belt machines.
-Self cleaning is a major +
-Good service in Bangalore, and no service required is major + :)

-And no recommendation based on 10-20 years of use of some brand, bz in good old days all brands had good parts.

LG

Bear in mind the 7kg model is larger than the 6 or 6.5 kg model.

measure the volume of your present ifb and take a tape measure to the shop and measure the size of the drums.

Decide whether you can live with smaller direct drive or require same or larger size volume. Equivalent kg of direct drive will be smaller in volume than your belt driven ifb. Drum volume is more important than these useless kg ratings.

As for drum issues with siemens, do you have any idea how hard your water supply is ? this has a direct bearing on drum life regardless of brand and water hardness in bangalore can vary wildly depending on where you live (bore well or corporation) and to add more complications whether its supplied by water tankers.

Last edited:
thanks for a quick replay,

Currently we have 5.5kg machine.
But I want to use a bigger one bz, we will use the machine once in a week(it will be very diff for us in the current state to use multiple times in the week). so I am trying for a bigger capacity to reduce number WM runs.
I remember you said issue with DD drum size on other forum.
DD has any maintenance issues compared to belt?
Also running the WM in less load like 30% will have any long-term impact on WM?

I am kind of inclined towards Sammy bz of no dd, how is Sammy in this field?

Last edited:
Isn't this a good thing since it will prevent overloading?
How so ?

preventing overloading is down to awareness. the user must understand how much dry load volume is and isn't overloading.

And if their load exceeds what the machine provides more often than not then chances of overloading increase.[DOUBLEPOST=1409995011][/DOUBLEPOST]
-Used IFB for nearly 7 years, Don't want to buy this brand again.
How was your experience with IFB ? did you do any servicing in those 7 years.

And no recommendation based on 10-20 years of use of some brand, bz in good old days all brands had good parts.
hehe, interesting because those that own older IFB's love them especially in bangalore.

New owners is a different story altogether.

Last edited:
Currently we have 5.5kg machine.
But I want to use a bigger one bz, we will use the machine once in a week(it will be very diff for us in the current state to use multiple times in the week). so I am trying for a bigger capacity to reduce number WM runs.
ok, so tell us the dimensions of your present IFB drum, get a tape measure and measure depth and height and post it over here (in cm).

DD has any maintenance issues compared to belt?
If the drum support goes its no different. That 10 yr motor gurantee, you will never use because the motor rarely gives trouble.

Also running the WM in less load like 30% will have any long-term impact on WM?
This is known as underloading, in terms of washing no, but in terms of spinning it can cause out of balance more often. What you do is add some extra towels to balance the load. Sometimes it works other times it will not. Just skip the spin in that case.

I am kind of inclined towards Sammy bz of no dd, how is Sammy in this field?
Sammy is DD but they don't talk about it. The way you tell is look at the drum volume of their models and compare with equivalent LG's. Bear in mind that models that were 5.5 kg 2 yrs back are now 6kg but are still the same volume.

Sammy is new to the game, they started in 2007, LG has been at it since 2001. How good sammy's after sales is or the quality is an open question. I know people that own sammy and are happy. They've yet to get a service done though. When it comes to looks the sammy is more attractive than lg or bosch. Just slam the door and listen to the noise and most people will have a good impression of the sammy going by the exterior. What the interior is like is known for less time. Whereas the bosch or LG are better known.

Am not sure why you don't want Bosch/Siemens. Your 7-yr old IFB uses Bosch parts. Bosch drums are the same as Siemens drums in the sense if drum support goes then the entire drum has to be replaced.

Last edited:
How was your experience with IFB ? did you do any servicing in those 7 years.
hehe, interesting because those that own older IFB's love them especially in bangalore.
New owners is a different story altogether.
Issues started after 2 years, service was ok.
ended up changing main board 3 years back
but now belt is damaged the assembly is loose and WM will roam the house if heavy load mode is used.
I do know a person who own a IFB and some other brand for 10 year :).

This is known as underloading, in terms of washing no, but in terms of spinning it can cause out of balance more often. What you do is add some extra towels to balance the load. Sometimes it works other times it will not. Just skip the spin in that case.
but is there any easy way to find if we are under loading or overloading?,
I don't y they don't show this info in the WM itself based on the motor current or some other info.
According to one of the senior IFB service person, who replaced damaged mobo, told me that the machine capacity is diff with diff modes.
and he told me about some PG's new WM got motor damaged in a week with everyone used full capacity with quick wash mode.
is this same with other brands?

Bear in mind that models that were 5.5 kg 2 yrs back are now 6kg but are still the same volume.
Is it only Sammy or LG too?
I know people that own sammy and are happy. They've yet to get a service done though.
Any idea when did they buy?
When it comes to looks the sammy is more attractive than lg or bosch. Just slam the door and listen to the noise and most people will have a good impression of the sammy going by the exterior.
I also liked the sammy looks :p
What the interior is like is known for less time. Whereas the bosch or LG are better known.
Am not sure why you don't want Bosch/Siemens. Your 7-yr old IFB uses Bosch parts. Bosch drums are the same as Siemens drums in the sense if drum support goes then the entire drum has to be replaced.
I do have a Siemens dishwasher and earlier wanted to buy the WM from same, but decided not to bz of the reviews in Internet.

so your drum volume of your IFB is 42.5 litres which is similar to bosch 6kg models.

Your present machine is 20% bigger than a 6kg lg or samsung which has a volume of 36 litres.

a 7kg lg has s volume of 54 litres and a 8 kg has a volume 65 litres. Do verify with a tape measure in the shop.

60% volume is max loading, you have to decide which of the two is appropriate.

1 x 20 litre bucket for 6 kg
1.5 x 20 litre bucket for 7 kg
2 x 20 litre bucket for 8 kg

Sammy WF1650WCW-> drum length 10" and dia 17"
Sorry, For Sammy WF1650WCW-> drum length 10" and Diameter 19".
So volume of my existing WM = 1943.8in
and Sammy WF1650WCW =2835in

In the showroom I can clearly make out both LG and Sammy has smaller drum length than IFB.

Back