Please suggest a laptop around 70-80k

bappaditya

Disciple
Well, my pop-in-law is getting a free laptop due to university grant and the upper limit is nearly 80k :) Obviously, he has no idea about laptops and i have been entrusted the job get him one. So the laptop gurus over here, please help me with the job. Some restrictions-
1. No macbook, only windows based laptops
2. Almost mostly for home use (actually he cant buy a desktop because the grant is only for laptops)
3. Dell/Lenovo preferred (locational constraint)
4. Big screen size preferred
5. Good support needed - 3-5 years will be good
6. Specs should be sufficient for near-future, atleast next 4 yrs

I have heard the i series needs to be OC'ed to achive their full potential. Is that true? In that case, is C2D a better option, because i think OCing is out of question.

bappaditya said:
I have heard the i series needs to be OC'ed to achive their full potential. Is that true? In that case, is C2D a better option, because i think OCing is out of question.
Nope the processor itself will increase the speed of one core automaically when u are utilizing only one core.
Say u have a Core i-5 520M.
Default max. speed is 2.40GHz for 2 cores. But when using only one core the speed increases automatically upto 2.93GHz :D When not in use the speed decreases to save power and battery life.
i series is much more powerful than the C2D. C2D are thing of the past.

DarkAngel said:
Nope the processor itself will increase the speed of one core automaically when u are utilizing only one core.

Say u have a Core i-5 520M.

Default max. speed is 2.40GHz for 2 cores. But when using only one core the speed increases automatically upto 2.93GHz :D When not in use the speed decreases to save power and battery life.

i series is much more powerful than the C2D. C2D are thing of the past.

Thanks for all the advices. One thing i am confused is if i-series is much faster than C2D, then why are Dell selling a i series based laptop at 45k+ (Studio15) vs C2D based laptop at 60k+ (Studio XPS 16)?

Dell will refresh that C2D model with an i5 based model, however you can select Dell studio xps 16 with a quad core i7 processor, ATI 4670 1gb graphics , full HD screen and 9 cell battery.

bappaditya said:
Thanks for all the advices. One thing i am confused is if i-series is much faster than C2D, then why are Dell selling a i series based laptop at 45k+ (Studio15) vs C2D based laptop at 60k+ (Studio XPS 16)?
Clearing old stocks may be :p They have not refreshed that line up still. Whatever Dell laptop u slect make sure you select the 3 years Complete Cover Option. What ever damages happen to ur laptop(Even accidental like dropping it and breaking screen etc...) Dell will replace it for free. Also they have Next Business day Onsite service which rocks :)

IMO no point going for XPS16. You can select a Studio 15 and configure it to have more features than XPS 16 at same price range.

1. well, he is getting the laptop for free, so he can obviously go for the more expensive studio xps 16, and clearly studio xps 16 looks much better and even its build quality and the materials used is a lot better than studio 15 :cool2:

2. And regarding configuration: studio xps 16 has 1gb ATI 4670 which is much more powerful than the studio 15's ATI 5470. and all the other features like full HD screen,i7 processor, 4gb ram,backlit keyboard are already available in studio xps 16 without customising, just have to add complete cover for 10k and the total cost comes around 80k,which he wont even have to pay as he is getting it from some university for free :eek:hyeah:

RS4 said:
1. well, he is getting the laptop for free, so he can obviously go for the more expensive studio xps 16, and clearly studio xps 16 looks much better and even its build quality and the materials used is a lot better than studio 15 :cool2:

2. And regarding configuration: studio xps 16 has 1gb ATI 4670 which is much more powerful than the studio 15's ATI 5470. and all the other features like full HD screen,i7 processor, 4gb ram,backlit keyboard are already available in studio xps 16 without customising, just have to add complete cover for 10k and the total cost comes around 80k,which he wont even have to pay as he is getting it from some university for free :eek:hyeah:
Hi RS4, thankx. But the problem is whatever you suggested is not available on Dell India site. There, for Studio 16 XPS, you can only get C2D processors. May be stock clearing, as DarkAngel interpretes it. Also, graphics is 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670, not what you suggested.

Also some other concerns -

1. Should i opt for 9 cell battery or 6-cell? What are the pros and cons?

2. Which is better - laser/optical/bluetooth?

3. Will a 1080 Full HD display consume more power than normal 720 display?

RS4 said:

What i was trying to say was with 3 years Complete Cover you needn't worry about anything. Any problem with any part of the system Dell will replace if for free. So even if Studio 15 build is slightly inferior it doenst matter much.
For the same amount for say 80k we can configure a Studio 15 to have better specs than XPS 16 (except GFX which doesnt matter that much here as its not a gaming system).

bappaditya said:
Hi RS4, thankx. But the problem is whatever you suggested is not available on Dell India site. There, for Studio 16 XPS, you can only get C2D processors. May be stock clearing, as DarkAngel interpretes it. Also, graphics is 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670, not what you suggested.

Also some other concerns -

1. Should i opt for 9 cell battery or 6-cell? What are the pros and cons?

2. Which is better - laser/optical/bluetooth?

3. Will a 1080 Full HD display consume more power than normal 720 display?
the studio xps 16 model i mentioned is available on the dell india website, you can also go to nearest electronics store like ezone, croma etc to order your studio xps 16. here is the link for that model on dell india:

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Hey guys,
Why has no one suggested the Lenovo, am buying a Lenovo thinkpad L series for my dad, is there a problem with the company?
I have almost the same criteria's but have a budget of 60k. and need it to be perfectly working for atleast 4 years, will be mainly used for emails only.

Back