Please suggest a laptop for less than/equal to 50K

Please suggest a laptop for less than/equal to 60K

Hello,

I want to buy a laptop in the next one-two weeks. I'll provide some details so that you guys can give better suggestions.

1) I live in Mumbai and am quite near Lamington Road. I also have no problems buying online.

2) I'm a college student at St. Xavier's. Will I be eligible for some student discounts? If yes, then could you factor that into your suggestions?

3) I suppose the price point I have mentioned automatically cuts out Macbooks, so we'll only keep it to PC.

4) I'll be using the laptop for -

• Watching HD movies/TV shows (mainly 720p)
  • Playing games occasionally (like the "Assassin's Creed" franchise and "Arkham City")
  • Photo & video editing
  • I'll also be using softwares like InDesign - basically all of Adobe's Creative Suite
  • Heavy downloading, so the laptop will be switched on for a lot of time (while being charged though, don't worry)

5) 16:9 RATIO IS A MUST.

6) A screen size of 14"-15" would be best.

7) I have no outright aversion to any brand.

That's all I can think of right now. If I have missed any important detail useful for advice, then please let me know. Otherwise, get on with the suggestions! :)

UPDATE - Everyone seemed to agree on the HP DV6 6121TX, but then some helpful users pointed out that problems it has with OpenGL software (such as Adobe CS - very important for me). Also, I checked back home and turns out my budget is a little more than I had thought. So can you suggest models with a budget of 60K in mind?

Dell XPS 15 is my first choice.

But seeing
Playing games occasionally (like the "Assassin's Creed" franchise and "Arkham City")

Photo & video editing

I'll also be using softwares like InDesign - basically all of Adobe's Creative Suite

I think you will benefit HEAVILY from a quad-core, hence the

HP DV6-6017tx:

-i7 2630QM 4c/8t

- 4GB RAM

- HD6770M 1GB GDDR5

- 15.6" 1366x768 screen(pure 16:9 widescreen)

Price: 52k

babu.mohan10 said:
Are u strict about your budget or can stretch it further ?
If he does stretch it further, there won't be much fruit. It would be a minimum of 60k before he makes even with the HP rig using a Dell XPS 15 custom.

comp@ddict said:
If he does stretch it further, there won't be much fruit. It would be a minimum of 60k before he makes even with the HP rig using a Dell XPS 15 custom.
I asked him if he is strict about his budget because if he is then he won't be able to get the HP dv6. He mentioned in his OP he wants a notebook LESS than or Equal to 50k. So if he is strict about his budget then of course HP dv6 will need to be ruled out.

comp@ddict said:
Dell XPS 15 is my first choice.

But seeing

I think you will benefit HEAVILY from a quad-core, hence the

HP DV6-6017tx:

-i7 2630QM 4c/8t

- 4GB RAM

- HD6770M 1GB GDDR5

- 15.6" 1366x768 screen(pure 16:9 widescreen)

Price: 52k

+1 for this HP config. Reviews are as good as the Dell XPS models. It's just 2k more than OP's budget.

The only thing missing in this config (as compared to Dell XPS) is the FHD screen.

Also, I heard HD6770M is awesome. Much better than even the GT540M 2GB which comes with the high-end Dell XPS model.

There's no point in going for a Dell XPS unless OP's budget is 60k~65k.

@lazygarfield, go with this HP config if your budget is fixed, else configure the Dell XPS with GT540M, FHD screen and other goodies!

Hey guys, thanks for the recommendations! Nice to see you reach a consensus so soon. I'm pretty sure I can stretch my budget to accommodate the HP dv6 so I'll go get that one. Which shop/website would you guys suggest I buy from?

You may also consider the Dv6-6121TX, from what I understand it replaces the 6017tx and difference is a 2gb DDR5 version of the 6770 vs a 1gb DDR3 6770. Price difference is also only 1k~2k.

6017TX: 52K (Already 2K above my initial budget)

6121TX: 55K (A total of 5K above my initial budget)

You have to understand that it's not a matter of the price only being 2K more and hence it being affordable... it's about breaching that psychological barrier of 55K. I will talk to my brother/parents and see if they let me go that far. Just by the by, how much difference will the Graphics Card make? Should I be worried that HP is replacing the 6017TX model?

Also, from where would you guys recommend I buy the laptop? Online - something like Flipkart? Shops? Which ones? I'll trek down to Lamington Road sometime this week but I don't know about other localities of Mumbai - which shops would you people suggest?

And again, thanks for all the help!

Lazygarfield, do not bother with the 6121. It costs 3k more for just a larger hard drive. Nothing else. And that IMO does not make sense to spend 3k more. And the 2GB GPU memory does not make ANY difference.

So just stick with 6017TX and spend that extra cash (if you get) in purchasing something more useful like extra RAM.

xtremevicky said:
You do know that the 6770 has problems with applications which require OpenGL.

The 6770 doesn't. The HP DV6 61xx series laptops do, the 60xx series are fine (like the 6017tx). The 61xx systems use a different mux system which is causing problems with OpenGL apps like all of Adobe's apps, and Minecraft.

This is likely to be resolved in the future but no guarantees, OP.

So if you want to use Photoshop etc, look for a 6017tx. It's rare in New Delhi. They'll try to shove a 6121tx down your throat, but dont go for it. Even if you don't need Photoshop etc, go for a 6017tx still. It's ~3-4k less with no disadvantage.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-...xx-read-here-answers-switchable-graphics.html

Okay guys. Seems like this is a pretty big issue for me, especially seeing as how I will need to use the Adobe CS. The URL you've linked to says something about something coming out in July. Is there any progress/news from HP or AMD?

Are you guys sure that if I buy the 6017TX (provided it's available) my gaming/photo editing/video editing performance won't suffer? Like, is its 1GB DDR3 GFX card good enough for handling the stuff I mentioned in the previous sentence? The resolution I will work at is 1366x768.

Also, it turns out that my budget is more flexible than I thought. If I'm willing to spend a little more, can I get a better notebook that'll do all the stuff I want (which I have outlined in my original post) AND will not have the problem the 6121TX does? At what price point are there new models?

Again, I have no aversion to any brand. Suggest me any model from Dell, Sony, HP, Toshiba, Samsung etc. <=60K that is tailored to my needs.

^^ Extending budget till 60k will not yield anything much or even 75k for that matter. From about60k the next big "jump" comes only at 85k.

For 60k again you have the very same options - XPS 15, HP DV6, VAIO CB.

Hey,

So I have looked a little more into it, and have ruled out the Vaio - mainly because the specs are so crappy. So now it comes down to either the HP DV6 or the XPS 15.

I would like to know this: Has HP or AMD said anything about this issue and/or if they're going to fix it? I'm not going to start intensive use of the Adobe CS from Day 1. I still have a few weeks to go before that usage. Do we know whether a driver update/patch/anything will come out by then?

Also, I looked at the Dell XPS 15 series and finalized this model - Dell XPS 15 Laptop Details | Dell India

I don't think the default specs are perfect, though, and will be customizing them a little bit. Here are a few changes I thought of making...

• GFX CARD: 540M 2GB instead of 525M 1GB
  • AUDIO SOLUTION: Internal HD 5.1 SoundBlaster X-Fi
  • KEYBOARD: Backlit
  • WIRELESS CARD: Intrel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 instead of Wireless-N 1030
  • TARGUS Entry level backpack

Is this configuration good? Have I made good changes? Did I miss something improvable that I should look into again? Are some of my changes unnecessary? And finally, a few questions -

1. Will 4GB DDR3 RAM be sufficient for the tasks I outlined earlier or do I need to upgrade?

2. The 540M is DDR3 too, right? Is it powerful enough to handle the work I mentioned earlier?

3. Are the prices mentioned on the Dell website accurate to the real-market prices or do I subtract/add something? From where in Mumbai do I get my customized Dell laptop? Or is buying online the best way?

Please do reply, guys! You've all been a huge help till now and I'm about to finish my laptop hunt! :)

1. Will 4GB DDR3 RAM be sufficient for the tasks I outlined earlier or do I need to upgrade?

2. The 540M is DDR3 too, right? Is it powerful enough to handle the work I mentioned earlier?

3. Are the prices mentioned on the Dell website accurate to the real-market prices or do I subtract/add something? From where in Mumbai do I get my customized Dell laptop? Or is buying online the best way?

It's the best deal, go ahead with it.

Hey guys, I completely ruled out the HP models because 6017TX I'm only getting for 55K (not worth it, I'm told) and the 6121TX has a problem with OpenGL.

I know I spoke a lot about the Dell XPs 15 but just yesterday, I was suggested the Vaio CB15 and I actually liked its specs. I just have a couple of questions -

1. It only has a dual core i5 processor. Will that be enough for my purposes (which I've listed already in the original post)?

2. Will it be able to handle my gaming, 720p HD movie watching, photo & video editing etc?

3. People who have used it - do you have anything special to add?

The price of the laptop is a major selling point too. It'll only be around 51.5K, which is a lot less than the Dell XPS 15 variant I had my eyes on. I know the Vaio's speakers are crappy and its HDD is less than the Dell's HDD but again, because of its low cost, I could buy great quality headphones, a USB 3.0 16GB pendrive AND an external HDD... with the cost still being comparable to just the Dell laptop.

Moreover, the Dell will take 15-20 days to deliver whereas this one I'll get more readily. And speed is a big factor for me.

So, guys, what do you think of the CB15? Do you think it's a good fit for my needs?

I'm going to Croma/Vijay Sales tomorrow to feel it once. I'll also trek to Lamington Road and see which shop is offering what prices. Which price for this laptop would you say is the ideal?

Thanks in advance!

If u can stretch then its time to get beyond HP, DELL darlings..... :p
This brands are doing sucking business here, why are they not providing the best hardware combination, is beyond my IQ.. :mad:
India the hub of IT, this part of the world deserve the first release here... anyway whatever, no CEOs are here to listens.. :no:

check out MSI configurations... some TE members are already using MSI 660, no complains heard so far...

MSI GT 683... :cool2: ~ 75K or $1499
Intel Core i7 2630QM
1.5GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX560M
15.6 inch FHD display
link

This is beyond ur range but still i will like to mention, this one will be release in second quarter of the year.

MSI GT 780 :cool2: ~ price not mention, but approx $1600

all same config.. but this is 17" inch

Back