Please suggest a Mobile under 12k.

I'm in the market looking for a new phone. And I'll be buying on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'm 12th standard pass and will go to College in a month or two :)
Here's what I need in my phone:
-Good screen.
-Android
-Zippy interface (I hate lags, minor occasional lags are fine )
-Atleast a day of battery life with normal usage and 50 text msgs, 1 hr calling, 1 hr music via earphones.
-Good looks

I've zeroed in on HTC Wildfire S. It looked very nice, screen was vibrant, and also has Gingerbread :)

I'm not leaning towards Optimus One because of not so good design and screen, plus it lags on stock firmware (not so with Wildfire S , I won't be using any custom FW atleast for 5-6months)
Dell XCD35 has very high SAR rating so I'm hesitating to buy it.

One more thing... My cousin bought a Bold 3 yesterday and is willing to sell his E72 to me . It is 10 months old. I'm using it (trying for 3-4 days) and I find it really good.

So what should I choose in my budget. Wildfire S or E72 or any other good phone in my budget...?

If you have tried symbian in the past and want to give Android a try then Wildfire S and if you want to stick with Symbian then E72, but frankly speaking Android has much more App Support and much more fluid, it again depends whether you like Touch Screen or not...

It'd be good if you can tell us more about your personal choice....

I've used symbian s60 touch and s40 both.

I'm using touch based devices (not android though) for like 2 years.

I am comfortable with both.

What kind of apps are you talking about? Name a few good apps please... I'm not much into mobile gaming.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Another thing which is must in my phone is good music quality..

Thanx guys for your replies and time :)

I'll go through all the reviews and Youtube video reviews asap.

@DarkAngel : What are your views on the 10 months old E72 . Its in very good condition (8/10)

My only concern is it might look ancient after 1-2 years :p (I'll be using the phone for 2 years)

Another thing I would like to ask... The E72 is my cousin's.. He said you tell me the price at which you wanna buy it. So please tell me a good price for it..

Shubham1401 said:
I've used symbian s60 touch and s40 both.

I'm using touch based devices (not android though) for like 2 years.

I am comfortable with both.

What kind of apps are you talking about? Name a few good apps please... I'm not much into mobile gaming.

Another thing which is must in my phone is good music quality..

Even I'm not into Mobile gaming, but if you want a good music quality then definitely Nokia (May be C6-01) because as DarkAngel said Mid-Range Android are not so good on music but that is not always true (can't say about WildFire S), best I'd recommend is you go to the shop and check wildfire S and Nokia C6-01 (its a pretty solid alternative if you are not so keen in trying Android).

Ahhh, yes, The App support which I was talking about is Apps for generally everything like Medical Books, Dictionaries, and Overall User Experience Enhancers....

You need to check both and decide yourself

I'd suggest you go for a New Phone as the technology of E72 is old and you want to use for next 2 years

For pricing of a 10 months old E72 check our market section. There must be a couple off people selling off their E72.
E72 is pretty outdated now and has been replaced by the S^3 running E6. I think Nokia has even stopped selling them. Just old stocks left in the local stores may be. So i would say stick to a new phone.

I would say ~7k for the old E72 considering that the E5 and the E72 are pretty much similar.
The E72 has better build, better cam and screen.
The E5 has double the RAM.
Nokia E72 vs. Nokia E5 - GSMArena.com

Shubham1401 said:
Thanx guys for your replies and time :)

I'll go through all the reviews and Youtube video reviews asap.

@DarkAngel : What are your views on the 10 months old E72 . Its in very good condition (8/10)

My only concern is it might look ancient after 1-2 years :p (I'll be using the phone for 2 years)

Another thing I would like to ask... The E72 is my cousin's.. He said you tell me the price at which you wanna buy it. So please tell me a good price for it..

e72 within warranty and your cousin's in good condition! a good price considering this could be 6k and the best buy would be free of course :p

I've tried both Wildfire S and C6-01 in Croma and many other stores. C6-01 definitely has better Audio quality (checked with my daily use Sony Earbuds) But haven't heard Wildfire S.

I'm not hell bent on Android, I know its eye candy but in the long run that don't matters to me much.

But even Symbian 3 on C6-01 was laggy. Especially in the messaging section, while tilting the phone to landscape mode.

E72 has got great audio quality (slightly worse than C6-01).

Okay, Now I'll be going to college from 1st August :)

So do you guys predict any change in usage pattern in college lyf (considering that i'm tech savvy ). I'm leaning towards the E72 right now.

The equation is simple: If you want simplicity of use and better basic stuff like screen, camera, battery life, audio quality etc..., get a Symbian device.

If you are a heavy texter, the physical QWERTY on the E72 will be a boon, but otherwise, the E72 is quite old, and it is very hard to play games on it. Multiplayer bluetooth gaming was one thing we did(still do) a lot in college.

If you want to mod/customize your phone, better interface, much larger and better app store, go for the Android one.

Since you say you are tech-savvy, Android seems to be better for you, but then it is your first task to prioritize your needs, and hence decide the OS before jumping to select the actual device.

Shubham1401 said:
I've tried both Wildfire S and C6-01 in Croma and many other stores. C6-01 definitely has better Audio quality (checked with my daily use Sony Earbuds) But haven't heard Wildfire S.

I'm not hell bent on Android, I know its eye candy but in the long run that don't matters to me much.

But even Symbian 3 on C6-01 was laggy. Especially in the messaging section, while tilting the phone to landscape mode.

E72 has got great audio quality (slightly worse than C6-01).

Okay, Now I'll be going to college from 1st August :)

So do you guys predict any change in usage pattern in college lyf (considering that i'm tech savvy ). I'm leaning towards the E72 right now.

i assume that in college you'd type a lot of SMSes :p and you will also be using Whatsapp (cross platform messenger like BBM). Given all this and adding a good battery life a used E72 is honestly not only the best choice but it will give you the most bang for your money. also typing on E72 is a pleasure!!!

I was almost convinced that I'll buy the E72 but my cousin backed out :(

Will buy Wildfire S after a week...

Any other suggestions are also welcomed... :)

P.S: Won't be buying C6-01 because of Symbian (Touch).. I like Symbian on Non touch.. But not with touch screens.

You can go with spice mi-410, see the thread on TE for that its 12999, android, 512 mb ram, 4.1" screen, capacitive touch, 5 mp with flash light, full market support, adobe flash 10.3, using right now to type through tapatalk

@Shubham - go for Android ONLY. Being a youth, I really think you must be on par with the trend. The trend/fashion doesn't just stop with your hair style & apparels but also on your accessories just like coolers, watches etc., And android being the latest kid in the block, that will be the trend for quite sometime. iOS is also suitable for you, but since your budget isn't allowing an iOS device, you are left with android. And Android is geeky inside and trendy outside.

And as for your decision - Wildfire S, I myself have recommended it to a lot of people. But I feel you are hurrying up on your decision. Can you tell me few more of your requirements based on priority.
Like for ex - Text>call>gtalk/fbchat>camera>socialnetwork>music>performance>battery and so on...

BTW, since you've mentioned that you type a lot (50 txt msgs), I recommend software keyboard only. NO hardware keyboard. If anyone one of your friend is using SWYPE on his/her mobile (for more than a month atleast), put up a typing competition with him (with you having your fav. mobile). He/ she will beat you hands down. And what's more? he will have his head cool. I mean, he wouldn't have concentrated a lot to type correctly, like you would have done and apparently he would have his mind relaxed even after typing a long message.. I'm using swype for quite sometime and WILL never ever go back to usual typing. Cause it's not because I can type faster, I need not concentrate on what I type.

Mobiles that you can consider: Micromax A70, Wildfire S, Motorola Defy (definitely worth the extra 2k), spice mi-410.

Edit: Just now noticed Micromax A70 being sold for 6.6K after discount. It's a steal. Only drawback you'll have with this device is lack of flash. For the remaining money, you can buy a mp3 player, a creative ep-630 in ear headphones and enjoy quality music. And the h/w of this 6.6k mobile is same as optimus one(9k), wildfire s(12.6k) and even HTC legend(20K).

Do not buy a touch phone which has a screen size smaller than 3.5inches. Either look at the Dell XCD35 or Spice MI-410.

If you are going to use CFW's why not from day 1? You need to understand the whole point of getting Android is getting into the community development thing.

smalltiger_s said:
i assume that in college you'd type a lot of SMSes :p and you will also be using Whatsapp (cross platform messenger like BBM). Given all this and adding a good battery life a used E72 is honestly not only the best choice but it will give you the most bang for your money. also typing on E72 is a pleasure!!!

I think I'll be copying a lot of Notes too (I've done that all my lyf) :p
So a good camera with Autofocus will also be a great boon :)

paarkhi said:
You can go with spice mi-410, see the thread on TE for that its 12999, android, 512 mb ram, 4.1" screen, capacitive touch, 5 mp with flash light, full market support, adobe flash 10.3, using right now to type through tapatalk

Bro, Will look for that phone. Though I've tried 4 malls and all other phones mentioned in the thread, but couldn't find MI-410 :(

emmarbee said:
@Shubham - go for Android ONLY. Being a youth, I really think you must be on par with the trend. The trend/fashion doesn't just stop with your hair style & apparels but also on your accessories just like coolers, watches etc., And android being the latest kid in the block, that will be the trend for quite sometime. iOS is also suitable for you, but since your budget isn't allowing an iOS device, you are left with android. And Android is geeky inside and trendy outside.

And as for your decision - Wildfire S, I myself have recommended it to a lot of people. But I feel you are hurrying up on your decision. Can you tell me few more of your requirements based on priority.
Like for ex - Text>call>gtalk/fbchat>camera>socialnetwork>music>performance>battery and so on...

BTW, since you've mentioned that you type a lot (50 txt msgs), I recommend software keyboard only. NO hardware keyboard. If anyone one of your friend is using SWYPE on his/her mobile (for more than a month atleast), put up a typing competition with him (with you having your fav. mobile). He/ she will beat you hands down. And what's more? he will have his head cool. I mean, he wouldn't have concentrated a lot to type correctly, like you would have done and apparently he would have his mind relaxed even after typing a long message.. I'm using swype for quite sometime and WILL never ever go back to usual typing. Cause it's not because I can type faster, I need not concentrate on what I type.

Mobiles that you can consider: Micromax A70, Wildfire S, Motorola Defy (definitely worth the extra 2k), spice mi-410.

Edit: Just now noticed Micromax A70 being sold for 6.6K after discount. It's a steal. Only drawback you'll have with this device is lack of flash. For the remaining money, you can buy a mp3 player, a creative ep-630 in ear headphones and enjoy quality music. And the h/w of this 6.6k mobile is same as optimus one(9k), wildfire s(12.6k) and even HTC legend(20K).

Hmmm... Even I think I'm hurrying up with my decision .

So here are my needs :
1. Calls 1Hr a day - Will prefer good call Quality and LOW SAR!

2. 50 Sms (May vary, because my life is in a transition phase,but will definitely go up :p )

3.Good Music quality (I have Sony Earbuds, so quality of stock headset don't matter)

4. Great Looks (My last phone was Motoming A1600, It was drop dead sexy! Turned lots of heads and even turns now after 3 years)
The phone should look , i changed my 5233 just because of the looks, Plain simple and elegant will do. Different from others will also do :)

5. Battery Life of 1 day or more. (I'm flexible with this because I know that's what today's phones provide)

6.Camera should be enough for taking snaps of Notes. Otherwise I'm not really into taking snaps.

7. Fluid interface, can handle occasional lags but not the ones which are always slow(just like 5800 with original FW)..

8.I don't carry my phones in carry cases.. I hate them :)

I won't be using FB chat, Gtalk on my phone as I find it cumbersome.

And yeah, I've tried SWYPE. It was really fast for me even for the first time. No guy with physical qwerty can match SWYPE speeds :)
But then I don't think typing occasionally in Hindi will be that fast with SWYPE.

H2O said:
Do not buy a touch phone which has a screen size smaller than 3.5inches. Either look at the Dell XCD35 or Spice MI-410.

If you are going to use CFW's why not from day 1? You need to understand the whole point of getting Android is getting into the community development thing.

My concerns regarding XCD 35 and Defy are their very high SAR Values. That makes me uncomfortable since I call 1Hr daily (though most of the times I use headset)

Also, I wasn't able to find a XCD or 410 for trial. :(

CFW not from day 1 because i guess that voids the warranty. And what if I found my phone is defective after a few days (hardware problem, that is) ? :eek:

Shubham.. I would suggest two phones - one is Galaxy Ace and another is of course Wildfire S.. Both the phones are extremely good. Wildfire is Gingerbread and Ace is upgradable.. Still, my personal fav is Ace because it has a bigger screen i.e. 3.5inch and processor speed is 800MHz, wildfire s has 600MHz processor. This link will help you in comparing both the phones:

Compare phones

Price of both the phones is same on the website and I think this is the best you will get in the market.

Shubham1401 said:
I think I'll be copying a lot of Notes too (I've done that all my lyf) :p
So a good camera with Autofocus will also be a great boon :)
So you need a decent performing camera particularly in MACRO mode. I guess most mobiles will do it, but larger the megapixel and better the quality, the larger the area you can
cover. Defy does have a good camera with flash. A70, though lacks in flash, should have a good camera, let's just wait for someone in TE to give a review

Bro, Will look for that phone. Though I've tried 4 malls and all other phones mentioned in the thread, but couldn't find MI-410 :(

I guess you can find one easily at a spice outlet in Delhi. Here's store locator for you.
Spice Retail

Hmmm... Even I think I'm hurrying up with my decision .
So here are my needs :
Let's see whether A70 and Defy matches your requirements
1. Calls 1Hr a day - Will prefer good call Quality and LOW SAR!
Defy confirm, A70 - have to wait.

2. 50 Sms (May vary, because my life is in a transition phase,but will definitely go up :p )
All android has swype.
Both phone matches

3.Good Music quality (I have Sony Earbuds, so quality of stock headset don't matter)
Can you tell me the model name of that sony earphones? Is that in-ear? How much does it cost? Most probably you won't hear too much difference in quality in different phones
unless you use a really quality headphones. So,

Both phone matches

4. Great Looks (My last phone was Motoming A1600, It was drop dead sexy! Turned lots of heads and even turns now after 3 years)
The phone should look , i changed my 5233 just because of the looks, Plain simple and elegant will do. Different from others will also do :)
Defy though doesn't have a great looks, it's ergonomic i guess. As it'll be small in size, but have large screen size. (Hint: Compare the actual phone size of 3.5" iPhone and 3.7" Defy. You'll know what I mean. Also very rugged. Comes in very handy, if you become too wild during your college days ;) A70 too doesn't have a sexy look, but I guess it's ok
Both phone matches

5. Battery Life of 1 day or more. (I'm flexible with this because I know that's what today's phones provide)
Defy confirm, A70 - have to wait

6.Camera should be enough for taking snaps of Notes. Otherwise I'm not really into taking snaps.

7. Fluid interface, can handle occasional lags but not the ones which are always slow(just like 5800 with original FW)..
Let's wait till, iGyaan/someone else reviews the MM A70. And as for Defy, with motoblur launcher I guess it's kinda sluggish, but installing launhcerpro will bring up smoothness. And installing Custom ROM like Cyanogenmod will take it light years ahead.

8.I don't carry my phones in carry cases.. I hate them :)
Then mobiles with Gorilla Glass is a must. You can keep the mobile without applying a screen guard and still have it in pocket along with keys and other metal stuffs.
Defy confirm, A70 - fail

I won't be using FB chat, Gtalk on my phone as I find it cumbersome.
It won't be cumbersome in android and you'd prefer it a lot (of course, if you do that a lot in desktop). Also the vodafone's / airtel's 84rs bonus will give you a COOL 1gb/month data usage along with 20p calls and 2K local/national sms. So you can be always online. And my recommendation is that you should have background DATA enabled in your handset (EDGE speed and 1gb is more than enough for basic stuffs)

And yeah, I've tried SWYPE. It was really fast for me even for the first time. No guy with physical qwerty can match SWYPE speeds :)
But then I don't think typing occasionally in Hindi will be that fast with SWYPE.
SWYPE does hindi too, if you teach it. If you want to swype a hindi word, say "yaadein", you just type "y.a.a.d.e.i.n" and then leave space / tap the word again to add it to dictionary. The next time you can just swype the word "yaadein".

My concerns regarding XCD 35 and Defy are their very high SAR Values. That makes me uncomfortable since I call 1Hr daily (though most of the times I use headset)
Also, I wasn't able to find a XCD or 410 for trial. :(
My own view on SAR, that I mentioned earlier in another thread.
Don't worry about the SAR too much. Why?
-> There are hundred thousand people who own this device, do you think they all don't care about their health?
-> Do you think that the us gov or fcc, will allow any such product that would affect the people in anyway?
-> Even if the gov approved it, Will Motorola knowingly release a device that can be harmful and put it's company at risk?
-> And if they all had done the above without their knowledge, wouldn't someone have sued that company for it's "harmful" effects on people and take the company down or get a huge settlement?

CFW not from day 1 because i guess that voids the warranty. And what if I found my phone is defective after a few days (hardware problem, that is) ? :eek:
Custom ROM does void your warranty, but only if they knew about it. If you flash a custom ROM and find your phone to have a hardware problem, reflash your original stock ROM. And you are good to go.
Defy confirm, A70 - fail

Guess, I made myself clear.

@emmarbee: You'll kill me for this but Defy is out of mu budget friend :p

And I'm not gonna get a Micromax.

Regarding my earphones... Yes they are In-ear type. Model No MDR-EX35

Here's a review:

Sony MDR-EX35LP

They are 1.5 yr old and I find them adequate for day to day use.

So I will check MI 410 in Spice store. Where can i try XCD35?

Now the contenders are 410, XCD35, Wildfire S, and good ole Optimus One. :)

Back