Audio Please suggest a speaker system under 5k

coldblood

Recruit
Hi Audiophiles,

I am planning to upgrade my speaker system. Currently I own a Altec Lansing VS2621. Please suggest a 2.1 set with deep bass. Will be using it mainly for music. Budget is 5k. I have an inclination towards edifier, altec lansing and sony. Please help as I need to fix it in a week's time :)

+1 to the Edifier C2 (4.2k). You could also look at the Sony SRS-D9 which retails at around the 5.3k mark.

Good luck and let us know what you got! :)

Last edited:
Sorry for thread hijacking :blackalien: but I m also in similar boat and had fixed Sony SRS D9 in my mind.

Pick up the Edifier C2. Excellent in one word.

Which one between C2 and Sony SRS D9 ? and Why ? Also it will be helpful if you can throw some light on Edifier A.S.S.

PS: My needs are good in all departments in games, movies. Good clarity and bass in music.

Head to Snapdeal... they have some nice Altec Lansing speakers listed there. I recently bought a set of 2.1 speakers for my music setup at home and was tending to go with the Edifier C2 or C3. Eventually though I went ahead with something else, still I would recommend the C2 in the 5k zone.

Both the C2 and Sony SRS D9 are fantastic. You really can't go wrong with either. IMO C2 are a bit cheaper and should be looked into as both the speakers are similar sounding. As for ASS, less then 2% speakers ever need ASS so you perhaps should worry about that a bit less, but as far as I've heard, Sony has the better service.

Both the C2 and Sony SRS D9 are fantastic. You really can't go wrong with either. IMO C2 are a bit cheaper and should be looked into as both the speakers are similar sounding. As for ASS, less then 2% speakers ever need ASS so you perhaps should worry about that a bit less, but as far as I've heard, Sony has the better service.

Thanks buddy. I read more about C2 on internet, I have come across following points;
Settings of amps are required to be set every time, on turn off/on.
Bass is less punchy - I believe this should be subjective. I m satisfied with the bass of my Altec Lansing VS2x21 set.

What are your views on this ?

PS: TBH, I m not audiophile to play along with amp settings.

EDIT: Any shop in Mumbai where I can have audition of C2 ?

The C2 has that flaw. If you power down the speakers, the amp-settings get reset and once you power it back on you have to set it to your liking again. That might be the case with C3 as well, not too sure though. You have to take your call if you can live with that flaw. Besides from that little gripe you might have, the speakers are great. You can bypass that flaw as well by keeping the amp on standby power mode which will keep your keyed in settings locked in.

Try and audition a pair of Sony D9 if you can, I have a feeling you'll like the punchiness of these speakers more.

The bass on the C2 is just right IMHO, not too overbearing dousing the mids. I do own a pair of the VS2621 and never really ended up liking them too much because I always felt they grunted a little too much bass for my liking. But like you have mentioned, at the end of the day it's all subjective to the listener. :)

Last edited:
I have narrowed down my search to two systems now - Edifier C2 and Sony D9. After going through other threads and doing some more research I have noticed that most of the people are preferring C2. However I have a concern, power output of C2 is 2*6 + 18 = 30 watts RMS whereas total output of D9 is 60 watts RMS ( 2*15 + 30). As I need a punchy deep BASS without neglecting the highs and lows I am really confused now. Which one C2 or D9??? Somewhere read about C2+ ( C2 PLUS) does it exist? I am afraid that I will get an opportunity have a demo. So which one I can pick blindly? C2 or D9??

The c2 Plus I've only seen being available on Ebay and it's around the 6.5k zone IIRC. If your looking for more bass and overall punchiness go for the Sony D9. Why don't you head to a nearby Sony showroom and demo the Sony D9?

Personally, it's a little hard to pick up a very well balanced speaker in this budget which will spew out enough punchiness but at the same time not ruin the mids. This was the very reason I ended up spending more for my music setup in my PC room at home and got the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 recently.

isn't the RMS-power more to do with the 'power'/'quantity'/'intensity' of sound, than with the 'quality'?!

An hour back, I went to Sony showroom in my town and demo-ed Sony SRS D9. Subwoofer is literally giant than my current humble Altec Lansing one. Bass is too good. But however when turned the Bass nob to full, there is that cracks in sound/cracking sound, which I hate and this does not happen in my current speakers even when bass nob is turned full. I do not know what this (mid/lows) is called in technical terms but overall quality is good and suitable. I too doubt if I will be able to listen to C2 before buying anything.

PS: I found them little bit more clear than my current ones.

Let me start this post by saying Thanks to both @Black_Hawk and @Aman27deep ..Thanks a ton guys for your suggestions. I have finally bought C2+ @5.4K. and the only word that suits the experience of listening to C2+ is AWESOME. I had a demo of SONY D9 and found it okay. But C2+ is definitely better than D9 which I felt when I tried diffrent genres and different settings of BASS and TREBLE. This is my personal experience. Could not get a chance to listen to C2. @vyral_143 ..my suggestion to you would be try to have a demo of C2+ and then decide.

Actually I tried it in one of my friend's place who bought it just a month back. I agree that it is difficult to get a demo of these speakers in wholesale shops which I came to know today while searching in shops. But you can still try in shops like Reliance digital or Croma. Have a demo there if possible and buy it from a traditional computer peropherals shop. I n my case I bought it from SP road as I am based in Bangalore.

I need a punchy deep BASS without neglecting the highs and lows I am really confused now.

This is the common requirement for both of us, bass without hindering clarity. Since you found D9 okay-ish, I m having a feeling that same will be with me. I have listened to D9 today afternoon. So may be C2/C2+ FTW for me too. I m still looking out to have a demo of them, if not then will go for C2/C2+ blindly.

If possible please jot down brief points you liked in C2 over D9.

Well experience is something that we cannot quantify. So though I found D9 okay over C2+, you might have a different feeling. Now if you stress on Deep and punchy BASS then you can notice that C2+ has a 35watts subwoofer whereas D9 has a 30 watts subwoofer. Most importantly as we cannot really compare sound quality at one point of time, so more you compare more confused you will be. Just follow your heart and not mind :) and go for any of the D9 or C2+. Please note that C2 has different configuration and may have different SQ which till now I havent experienced.
C2 (2*6 + 18) = 30 WATTS RMS [ 4k]
C2+ (2*9 + 35) = 53 WATTS RMS [4.9 k]
D9 ( 2*15 + 30) = 60 WATTS RMS [ 5.4 k][DOUBLEPOST=1382790512][/DOUBLEPOST]sorry the price I provided was interchanged - D9 (4.9 K) and C2+ (5.4 K)

Back