Please suggest a viable alternative to Firefox..

aka911

Skilled
Hey guys, I have been using FF for the past xx years. But now with Internet sites getting heavier and broadband plans getting cheaper while my Laptop has stayed the same and with its measly 2 GB ram and 1.5 GHz processor can't really handle the WWW.

Now the problem is Firefox in its latest avatar is a big resource hogger. I tried a few alternative browsers but faced some glitches like

Chrome> No proper Adblock plus , No xThunder , The position of all buttons is remixed

Opera> Too many options,Buttons. The 1st option when right clicking is "Open link" whereas in FF the option is "Open link in new tab"

also tried safari. It is even more resource intensive then FF..

Can anyone suggest me a browser with awesome ABP support , FF like buttons and features, Yet lighter on the system(and my wallet)

Or better is there a lighter custom version of FF? I do see a few alternatives floating around the web. Will probably try them later tonight , But worried about the safety aspect. :)

p.s. Completely broke,so pls dont suggest me to upgrade RAM or buy a better machine ;(

There are many mozilla based projects that are floating around in the internet do a bit of googling you will find the best for you . Cometbird , swiftfox, Flock(they are switching between chrome and mozilla).

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Did you try chrome appstore it has an alternative for almost all firefox addons.

Opera. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by too many options or buttons. For opening a link in a new background tab, Ctrl + Click.

Shift + Click if you want the link to open in a new foreground tab.

There are quite a few nifty shortcuts and options in default OPera. Try it out once.

challapradyumna said:
There are many mozilla based projects that are floating around in the internet do a bit of googling you will find the best for you . Cometbird , swiftfox, Flock(they are switching between chrome and mozilla).

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Did you try chrome appstore it has an alternative for almost all firefox addons.

I will be trying cometbird and swiftfox. Lets see..

Swiftfox only for ubuntu?

Cometbird has inbuilt Flashget downloader.. any way to remove that?

What about online transactions? are you sure they don't have any evil code inside them ?

^^ Those shortcuts are applicable in almost all major browsers. My fav ctrl+shift+t opens last closed tab. Actually you can save quite a good amount of time if you get used to them.

^^ True. You just need to spend some time and get accustomed. After that it all boils down to personal preference. Though, resource-hogging wise, Opera is better than Firefox.

BTW, @OP: Any reason for not trying out IE9? IF you are not really concerned about better speeds (which run in milliseconds to a few seconds only.. hardly discernible, especially with a good net connection) IE should be your best bet, resource-need wise.

I can suggest only Opera. Am not even aware how other browsers function (except IE) :( If you don't require fancy add ons, Opera does most of the usual browsing stuff without any add ons itself.

I use the latest FF8 with my 4 yr old laptop and it is quite fast for my needs. IMO, if you have too many addons running, that may be the source of the problem. My proccy is a measly 1.73Ghz single core Celeron. 2GB RAM.

Chrome is also quite fast. Stopped using Opera a long time ago, when it was v9 or something.

As far as IE9 is concerned, dont bother. It takes around 5 secs to start and is quite slower in loading almost all pages.

Thanks guys for the suggestions... I have been using various combos in the past week ..

I will continue to use FF for standard browsing and I think IE I will use for Flash videos and social networks. I find IE to be amazingly smooth even with many tabs open, But as Vivek pointed out It might be due to the fact that in FF I have some addons running in the background,while the IE 9 is fresh..

Back