PC Peripherals Please suggest AiO MFP

BIKeINSTEIN

Skilled
Need a VFM one for home use.
School worksheets, projects etc. maybe at least 5-10 pages a week and maybe 20-25 per week at the most

Preferences-
  • Colour (not often but must have)
  • Print obviously and scan, copy too if possible. Fax not reqd.
  • Laser? (worth it?)
  • Reliable
  • Good ASS

Budget? There are some all in ones from epson with inbuilt ciss tanks for around 9k I guess. Buying individual cartridges will be expensive for everyday use for inkjet printer.

Epson L210. Can be gotten from eBay for around 8.6k applying coupon.
Someone reviewed it here: http://www.gogi.in/epson-l210-review.html
Some prefer to get cheaper aio and then install ciss kit on it. @logistopath has one such I guess.

Someone posted this in FK reviews? :confused:

Warranty Ends Lights Out
I have had to use the printer continuously and hence found out after doing 20,000 copies the real headache starts.

1. Your Ink Pad life (Rs.650+350) gets over.
2. The head (about Rs.2500+350)goes kaput. Am about to get it changed.
3. The Service guys will make it more worse with strange solutions to try to keep the printer running before the final analysis. Mine told me to to keep the ink tank cap open when cleaning the head..:)

Frankly i wouldn't say this one is worse than the other competitors but for sure is as good as the others in the market. This one simply takes probably 5000 pages extra to start giving you your nightmares.

http://www.flipkart.com/epson-l-series-l210-multifunction-inkjet-printer/p/itmde5yq4zpjfczn

Last edited by a moderator:
By 20k copies if he meant, full a4 size 100% print, then this is real good vfm printer.
Take in contrast my HP 500 rupee cartridge which I have to throw out after 1-2 refills. Not even 1000 pages can be printed. Even in DIY ciss, you will encounter the head going bad situation a bit sooner than this printer.

Stay away from HP. For your usage, you will need one cartridge every month or two. Their cartridges cost around 1.5k for 9-10ml ink. Too costly. Even adding a ciss system later is a headache since their cartridges are not ciss friendly. And I have a feeling they've designed their cartridges to die after some pre determined amount of ink is used up.

Haven't seen a canon printer in action.
Have seen their scanner and photocopy machine quality and they are brilliant and crisp. Better than HP scanner. Possibly, even the printers are well made.

That printer you linked, uses only two cartridges. A black and tricolour. The tricolour seems to be priced at 1300 or so. And even ciss kit is available for this at 2k. In the end you will spend around 9k if going for ciss system. If you don't want continuous ink supply, you will end up spending around same 1k every few months for black colour, once cartridges dry out or get empty. Remember you will need to get a new cartridge if even one colour out of tri colour cartridge empties.

Seems as costly as HP to me. What money you save initially in device cost is taken away by ink cartridge cost.

@6pack thanks!
Just realised an old HP 2600N uses 4 independent cartridges and thankfully so.
The black one was at 6% and got replaced today after the machine prompted for replacement.
The Cyan one is least used at 60% and Magenta one at 27% but i won't have to throw Cyan and Yellow too when Magenta is over unlike the tricartridge ones. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Bikey, go for the Epson L210. I bought one about a month ago and it's way better than getting a CISS installed separately on a Canon. HP is just too expensive plus CISS is a big pain.
I had a Canon MP287 earlier and I had some issues with alignment after refilling first time. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it aligned. Even replaced with brand new cartridges and no go. Couldn't find anyone that repaired Canon inkjets locally. My dad got fed up and in the end we just bought the Epson.

The advantage of having a factory fitted ink tank is that the head/nozzles don't get clogged as easily as normal cartridges do. So far the printer has been running great. The scanner is decent as well.

Should be more than enough for your usage. The cartridges are also quite cheap at less than Rs.500. The black cartridge gives around 450-500 prints so works out to Rs.1 per page.

You might want to have a look at the 3515 model as well. Costs 650 bucks more but comes with Wifi and a bigger display (1.1" vs 2")

http://www.flipkart.com/hp-deskjet-...ZJES&ref=e49240b2-1a8f-4438-9034-48d48593d7e6

I had almost finalized Epson L210 for myself, but now I am having second thoughts. Reason - I think this has only USB connectivity. No Wifi or printer sharing over network possible. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If you have a router with a USB port with support for printer sharing, you can have the printer plugged in to the router and share it across the network.

Should be more than enough for your usage. The cartridges are also quite cheap at less than Rs.500. The black cartridge gives around 450-500 prints so works out to Rs.1 per page.
Those were with the older '703' Ink Advantage cartridges rated for a page yield of 600 pages. The newer '678' ones are down to a yield of 480 pages. Oddly both cost the same ~450 bucks.

Using the Canon Pixma mg3107 since a year now. For the exact same purpose (Have a school going 4 year old). the sole reason I got this one was AirPrint. This was the cheapest airprint enabled MFP I could score in India back then. At sub 5K INR could not have been happier. The stock cartridges are too small, did not last me more than 4-5 months. Invested in the extra-large ones running great now.

PS: My 4 year old prints her ready to print cartoons from the iPad on this one, so you can imaging the simplicity of AirPrint

I use a close to 2 year old Canon Mg5270 with CISS @ 11k. Prior to this I had a a HP AIO @ 6k, HP Print Only @8k and another Canon AIO @ 5k. Family has a Brother AIO with CISS which i feel is the most VFM @ 10k. All in all, reliability of the Canon's has been highest. CISS makes it easy to run, as the costs come down a lot. A CISS Kit will cost you similar to a set of new cartridges, but usually last 6-7 times as much. Canon usually ignores CISS for warranty, as long as you have one set of original cartridges to show. HP will void your warranty on CISS use. Brother - see this -> http://www.ebay.in/itm/Filled-CISS-...lies&hash=item27d23f8cfe&_uhb=1#ht_1766wt_906 direct plugin to the printer, no messy replacements, or tubes and tanks. Also remember if you refill or CISS, to ensure you use good quality ink, else, you will damage your printer in a most expensive manner.

If you need Wifi, your budget better be 10k plus. The cheaper ones are cheaper, but will cost more in cartridges over a period of 2 years (usual life of such units). The expensive ones will have seperated tanks, and available CISS kits, so costs come down, and at the same time they have higher life. Ignore fancy features such as screen etc., they are a novelty and you will not look at them after a few days.

Back