PC Peripherals Please suggest AiO MFP

Maybe: http://www.ebay.in/itm/Filled-CISS-...lies&hash=item27d23f8cfe&_uhb=1#ht_1766wt_906 with http://www.ebay.in/itm/Brother-MFC-...lies&hash=item53fa5925cc&_uhb=1#ht_7386wt_906

Easiest CISS.

More complex but superior:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/CANON-Pixma-...lies&hash=item5d41a8e636&_uhb=1#ht_4952wt_906 with a CISS kit that will cost approx 3K with 100 ml each ink.

Remember: AIO with CISS with the exception of the Brother models, do not close fully, as there is no provision for the CISS tubes to come out. This means that the Scanner will not be fully horizontal, but tilting back/ sideways as per the model.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a close to 2 year old Canon Mg5270 with CISS @ 11k. Prior to this I had a a HP AIO @ 6k, HP Print Only @8k and another Canon AIO @ 5k. Family has a Brother AIO with CISS which i feel is the most VFM @ 10k. All in all, reliability of the Canon's has been highest. CISS makes it easy to run, as the costs come down a lot. A CISS Kit will cost you similar to a set of new cartridges, but usually last 6-7 times as much. Canon usually ignores CISS for warranty, as long as you have one set of original cartridges to show. HP will void your warranty on CISS use. Brother - see this -> http://www.ebay.in/itm/Filled-CISS-...lies&hash=item27d23f8cfe&_uhb=1#ht_1766wt_906 direct plugin to the printer, no messy replacements, or tubes and tanks. Also remember if you refill or CISS, to ensure you use good quality ink, else, you will damage your printer in a most expensive manner.

If you need Wifi, your budget better be 10k plus. The cheaper ones are cheaper, but will cost more in cartridges over a period of 2 years (usual life of such units). The expensive ones will have seperated tanks, and available CISS kits, so costs come down, and at the same time they have higher life. Ignore fancy features such as screen etc., they are a novelty and you will not look at them after a few days.

Agree with the MG5270 and CISS. Had one of those at the office. However with the amount of printing OP is looking at, I'd say the cheaper printers might actually be better value.

Have been reading online reviews of 'Brother MFC-J430w'. Is it true that print quality is not very good? There are also concerns about paper jamming and extra pages being pulled.

Also I am wondering whether its wireless abilities could even serve my setup. My setup is as follows -
Netgear wireless router serving internet to wired (PC) and wireless devices (iPad, phone etc). In addition I have a wireless repeater (made using old Linksys router and DD-WRT firmware) which serves internet to my father's laptop.
I would like to give printer access to all wired and wireless devices. Is it even possible?

(@Bike - Sorry for the thread's partial hijack!)

@rshri
Good discussion here. Like how the forums used to be years back. So hijack is good for this thread. No sorry please. :)

@Praks
Thanks . :)
I did read yours and a few more threads before starting this one (that's what one should do before blindly starting a new one on a similar topic.)
Your thread was helpful but the conclusion didn't suit my doubt as the one who needs the printer is the mother of a 5-10 year old school-going kid and is mostly not going to prefer DIY stuff. That's why an out-of-the-box ready-to-use economical solution is required and hence this thread. :)

Have been reading online reviews of 'Brother MFC-J430w'. Is it true that print quality is not very good? There are also concerns about paper jamming and extra pages being pulled.

Also I am wondering whether its wireless abilities could even serve my setup. My setup is as follows -
Netgear wireless router serving internet to wired (PC) and wireless devices (iPad, phone etc). In addition I have a wireless repeater (made using old Linksys router and DD-WRT firmware) which serves internet to my father's laptop.
I would like to give printer access to all wired and wireless devices. Is it even possible?

(@Bike - Sorry for the thread's partial hijack!)

Print quality of Brother is average, usually rated 8.0/10. But in print, our eyes have a good vision quality, so even very very minor aberrations get noticed. You need to see the samples shown in the reviews and take a decision if it meets your needs. I have seen a good number of businessmen going for brother machines for economy purposes recently.

Because of availability of AirPrint, Wireless network, CISS & Fax, I am leaning towards 'Brother MFC-J430w'. My only fear now is print quality. I could not find any sample printouts in internet review though, that could help me make my decision.

@rshri
I once thought of Brother after seeing your comments but print quality is not upto mark.
Canon beats them all with with print, scan, copy, fax & Wifi. waiting for good coupon or free gift :) ebay should come out during 15 Aug or Diwali etc
Canon catridges are not very costly too. I guess around 600 to 1200. Will find a guy who can do CISS & pay 1000 in case demand increases.

Finally bought HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 3515. I don't see myself going down CISS DIY route. This printer's AirPrint, Wireless direct printing and Wireless network features have been a good fit for my set-up at home. Print quality is adequate too.

@rshri,
Congratulations.. Can you share few details
- How much paid & source of purchase
- Whats approx cost of catridges ?
- Does it have fax ? Could not find on flipkart, still want to confirm.

@rshri,
Congratulations.. Can you share few details
- How much paid & source of purchase
- Whats approx cost of catridges ?
- Does it have fax ? Could not find on flipkart, still want to confirm.
Sorry for the late reply, checking TE forums after a break..
- Bought from Indiatimes Shopping for Rs 5740/- (after discount). Flipkart was not delivering to my area, hence went with Indiatimes Shopping. BTW, I see that its even cheaper now.
- Rs 400-500ish
- No.
Happy with my purchase!

Back