Please suggest an android phone - budget 20k

Hi,

As the thread suggests, please recommend a n Android phone for 20k.

Points to be noted are as following:

1) It is going to be my first Android device.
2) I dont like much of tweaking/experimenting with my phone.
3) The phone should have good camera with auto focus + flash.
4) Gaming should be a charm on it.
5) The phone should have radio fm in it.
6) I will be buying from ebay india only because I need the EMI option.

I have two models in mind -

1) Google Nexus S
2) Motorola Defy

I was thinking of getting Dell Streak also but I am not sure about it. I will only get it if it is really worth paying extra 5k.

Please pour i your valuable suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Re: Please suggest an android phone - budget 20k!!!!

Eliminate streak.
+1 for Nexus S.
If you are not even going to install applications, themes, launchers, HTC is your best bet. It'll be smooth and packs eye candies out of the box.
Desire S - 23k & Desire HD - 25k may be your options. But do note, the out of the box cool experience does cost you 3k/5k more.

1) It is going to be my first Android device. - HTC Desire S / Desire HD
2) I dont like much of tweaking/experimenting with my phone - HTC Desire S / Desire HD
3) The phone should have good camera with auto focus + flash - Nexus S
4) Gaming should be a charm on it - Nexus S (BTW, Desire S and Desire HD is also equal to Nexus S in gaming as support from game developers towards Qualcomm's Adreno 205 GPU is great)
5) The phone should have radio fm in it - Desire S or Desire HD
6) I will be buying from ebay india only because I need the EMI option - Ask the TE members whether emi is possible in letsbuy after applying coupon code (even i need to know that)

BTW, HTC phones are the ones that I least recommended. Cause you are wasting one of the main advantage of android. LOW COST!
If only you can give in radio fm requirement, you can buy nexus s (install cyanogenmod) and be happy for rest of your life.
Why cyanogenmod and not vanilla 2.3.4? - customizations & features - there are LOTS LOTS LOTS of small things that can't be explained but should be experienced. (I haven't installed CM7 on my SGS yet, but i've seen the videos and the features just blows my mind.)

Edit: @23K You can get Optimus 2X a dual core mobile, which is SWEET for that price. But again, you gotta do some rooting/flashing etc to make your device snappier. Out-of-the-box it kinda lags. I haven't owned it, but checked out many video reviews of O2X (stock, of course).

If you can spend 5k extra, LG Optimus 2X.

15k, Motorola Defy

22k, Samsung Galaxy S

19k, Samsung Galaxy SL

These are the choices,

@compaddict - Will O2X be snappier out of the box? SGS & SL doesn't have flash. Defy is good, but with OP's budget and requirement for games, a better GPU will allow him to play games in the coming months....

Go for the Google Nexus S ig you have a strict 20k budget. Will get timely updates from Google and also has the Same internals as the original Galaxy S i9000.
Only -ves are that it lacks SAMOLED, microSD slot (has 16GB on board though) and 720p video recording.
But makes it up by being 3k cheaper and being the first phone to get Google's updates :)

Galaxy S is for 21.5k in ebay.in. So I can afford it if you recommend that. I dont care about the 720p recording but SAMOLED + micro sd card slot is something worth going for IMO. What do you say?

Another -ve of Nexus S, it doesn't have gorilla glass.
And on +ves, nexus s has NFC and Gyro.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Hope that you are mentioning about this deal and not the other 8GB version.
BRAND NEW SAMSUNG GALAXY s i9000 16GB 3G Video Calling | eBay

@OP - don't you want LED flash? if you are not keen on led flash, that SGS @21.6 is a best buy.

simforgotten said:
Galaxy S is for 21.5k in ebay.in. So I can afford it if you recommend that. I dont care about the 720p recording but SAMOLED + micro sd card slot is something worth going for IMO. What do you say?

@emmarbee

The deal is good. But I doubt if I will get EMI for HDFC credit card. The listing says only ICICI credit cards.

:(

@RS4

Cant take the offer as I am going to get the phone using Credit Card EMI. Please read my first post carefully.

Guyz,

Can I get EMI option from letsbuy.com or flipcart? In that case, I can use some coupons and also they are giving some real goodies free. Dont have any ebay coupon right now.

Does ebay provide any gifts for high price purchases?

Hey guyz,

Can anyone confirm if this listing is genuine or not?

DELL STREAK TABLET | eBay

Its for dell streak @22.5k. I think I will get it. It has got lot better specs than Galaxy S and also I can extend my budget by 2.5k.

Please reply asap.

Thanks.

Well, I have ended up buying Samsung Galaxy S I9000 for 21.4k with 3 months EMI from ebay.in

Just some queries, what OS would it be using? Is the OS upgradable?

Also, is there any way of having adobe flash support? By default, it doesnt support Adobe flash I think. Any idea regarding this?

^ - Bought SGS? Welcome to the family mate.
It might be using 2.1. It is upgradeable.
You can get official 2.2 via kies and stick to stock firmware for a while. After updating to froyo, you'll get full flash support (upto 720p playback in browser and playing videos in FB is too easy).
PM me if you need to know anything about SGS. cheers

^

Thanks pal. I will definitely pm you after I receive the mobile, I am total noob regarding Android. I will be firing lotsa queries towards you, get ready.

:p

Hi guyz,

Just received the Galaxy S, its a beauty. But need suggestions regarding what screenguard + case I should use for it. Please refer something.

No need of screen guard. I wasted 400 bucks for that. Damn me! And about case, i don't have one
BTW, send me the link from which you bought the mobile.

Ok guyz, the good news is that I got the Galaxy S with Android 2.2 OS, that means Froyo is pre installed. Do I need to upgrade to 2.3 Gingerbread?

Also, tell me some game/apps that I should install in the mobile.

http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290580084160&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Link for the item which I have bought.

Please reply asap.

Clearing up the post:

Btw guyz, why dont we need a screen guard for Galaxy S? Does it has a screen guard in built?

@simforgotten - like DA said, the screen guard that i had bought screwed the superb super amoled display. But i had it on for few weeks as i had spent some money on that, also i hadn't heard about gorilla glass at that time. Later i got frustrated and removed it and had the phone happily ever after.
Gingerbread isn't available yet officialy. so wait for it.
i would've suggested you some apps/games, since you've asked DA specifically, i'll let you hear it from DA, himself.

Back