Please suggest configuration for high end video production & editing. (Rs.80,000)

BikeAdvice

Disciple
I posted a thread a few weeks back regarding assembling a PC for HD playback and home usage. But I settled with the Asus o!play mini for Rs.3650 which now plays real smooth HD videos on my HDTV.

Some of you may have known that I run bikeadvice.in and my youtube channel youtube.com/bikeadvice has nearly 2,000,000 views. Some of our videos are really pro but not pro enough to my satisfaction.

So I have decided to invest in a good PC which will help us make videos in a breeze. High speed and performance is the criteria here. Also since we want minimum downtime, please suggest products from companies with the best support (mainly in replacing failed parts.)

Question: What is your budget?

Budget: 80,000 Not necessarily this much.

Question:Which hardware will you be keeping

Monitor (2xG2210 Dell), speakers (Altec lansing THX 2.1), keyborad (MS Natural), mouse (MS Laser 6000)

Question:Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

Intel® Core™ i7 2600 Processor - 3.4 GHz, 8 MB Cache, Socket 1155

Question:Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

This is going to be for 2 year+

Question:Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Buying online (Delta peripherals, SMC international are my fav!, also suggest alternatives.)

Question:Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

No seconds.

Question:What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

Video Editing and Production for my blog/youtube channel - BikeAdvice.in

Software that will be used: Camtasia, Adobe Premiere CS4, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Live Movie Maker

No Overclocking

Windows 7 64 Bit.

Other info: Will need 2 TB hard drive for storage of raw video and audio files. DVD writer is enough. Onboard sound is enough. Main suggestions from you would be: CPU - Motherboard - GPU - PSU - Ram

^Being a bit more specific as per the template actually helps others zero down the options. And avoid unnecessary queries while at it.

Intel i7 2600k - 15.9k

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 - 11.2k

gskill ripjaws x 8gb(4x2GB)- 2.7k

CM Storm sniper-5.7k

Seagate Barracuda 1 GB x 2 - 5.4k

Sapphire 6970 2gb -21k /MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II/OC - 25k

corsair ax850 - 10k/ seasonic x850 -9.8k

Thermalright silver arrow - 4.1k

Total max - 80k exact:)

mrcool63 said:
Intel i7 2600k - 15.9k

CM Storm sniper-5.7k

Sapphire 6970 2gb -21k /MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II/OC - 25k

corsair ax850 - 10k/ seasonic x850 -9.8k

Thermalright silver arrow - 4.1k

Total max - 80k exact:)

Thanks a lot. I would like to get suggestions for more places to buy!

rahul_hbo said:
If you're aiming for high speed and performance, I would advise you get an SSD.

Preferably something from the Crucial M4 range..

Yes of course. I am already using an SSD and I cannot think of using PCs again without SSDs.

if you are going to run ADOBE Premier get an Nvidia graphic card like GTX 470 or higher(with at lest 1gb ddr3 or higher) Premier can use the cuda cores of nvidia cards to accelerate editing .

mrcool63 said:
Intel i7 2600k - 15.9k
CM Storm sniper-5.7k/ Nzxt Gamma - 2.2k / HAF 922 - 6.8k
Sapphire 6970 2gb -21k /MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II/OC - 26k
corsair ax850 - 10k/ seasonic x850 -9.8k/ corsair tx850 v2 - 6.6k
CM hyper 212+ - 1.9k
OCZ AGILITY 3 120 GB - 11.6k/ 60gb - 7.5k

Total max - 74.5-91k range based on your choice:)

bolded ones are changed from the earlier one

Don't skimp on the case by going for NZXT Gamma. Get a Storm Enforcer. It's basically

a cheaper HAF 912 with quite a number of improvements.

cm enforcer is available at smc. rest are available everywhere. if you can spare a few more bucks the 690 II advanced or 922 is better. because the 580 is 10.5 inches in length and both enforcer and 912 have a max clearance of 10.6 inches for graphics card. however 912 has a removable hdd case

Pretty sure you will never use the horsepower of a big GPU while editing 720p video. Most of the work will be between memory, CPU and disk, so that is where optimising your spend will make the biggest potential gains.

I would recommend 32GB of memory as a base yardstick. Yes, that will eat up close to half your budget. 16 will do, in a pinch. 8 is not going to be enough unless these are small files.

Look at this page for a Premire benchmark, a 2600k with a GTX470 and 16GB memory significantly outperforms the same CPU with a GTX580 and half the memory. Spend a few moments with the chart and you will see what matters is the CPU clock and the memory amount. GPU doesn't affect any of the computation benchmarks as of current software.

Benchmark Results

Then I would add in at least 2 (maybe more if you can afford it) 120GB disks for temporary file storage and scratch. You can have a larger archive disk - say 2TB, but the working files will need a fast storage subsystem.

The rest of the components seem fine to me. I would just dump everything into a CM ELite, unless you want the vanity spend.

I would urge you to consider building the system around your needs and software in a professional environment, not the hardware. Hardware lasts a lot less than a brand that you are trying to build, so don't chain yourself down to a brick. If you expand, if demand increases, you will scale up, just ensure you scale in the right direction. Good Luck.

The rest of the components seem fine to me. I would just dump everything into a CM ELite, unless you want the vanity spend.

I totally agree with this statement... What are you gonna do with a fancy looking cabinet if the PC that you are building is just for video editing work... Save money and buy NZXT Gamma... which can easily even take in GTX580/HD6970/HD6950... Plus CPU encoded videos look more identical to the source than GPU encoded videos... I would advice you to join doom9 forum... By joining that forum you would learn a lot about video encoding and editing... and there are a lot of video editing professionals on that forum who would happily help you without even hesitating for a bit...

I am ok with spending for a high end mother board with the z68 chipset (Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 - 11.2k)

But I just want to know why the Intel® Desktop Board DH67BL-B3 uATX, Socket 1155 will not be enough. I can see that it does not support more than 1333MHz of RAM, but apart from that what else?

Back