Audio Please suggest decent 5.1 headphones

Argus

Adept
Need : 5.1 headphones

Purpose : watching HD movies

Budget : between 3 to 5k approximately

So far I've been using my Denon D1100 cans to listen to all kinds of multimedia stuff on my pc but now I'm thinking, wouldn't it be better if I use 5.1 headphones for watching HD videos.

Please pour-in your suggestions.

@Argus
Well yes 5.1 headsets do make a lot of difference for movies/gaming but nowhere come near d1100 for music . My personal opinion about the d1100 were they were awesome for music , good for movies and pretty crap for gaming .
I had moved on the reverse direction from 5.1(CM Sirus) to D1100 . I would recommend you to buy a 5.1 headset if and only if you watch lotta movies and do gaming more compared to listening to music .

Your budget is slightly low for a 5.1 headset . You have two options Cooler Master Sirus (S or normal edition , s is cheaper but comes without the control pod which looks super cool) and the Roccat Kave . According to review CM Sirus is a better performer then Kave but Kave is also equally lower priced i guess . So the choice is upto you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Argus
Well yes 5.1 headsets do make a lot of difference for movies/gaming but nowhere come near d1100 for music . My personal opinion about the d1100 were they were awesome for music , good for movies and pretty crap for gaming .
I had moved on the reverse direction from 5.1(CM Sirus) to D1100 . I would recommend you to buy a 5.1 headset if and only if you watch lotta movies and do gaming more compared to listening to music .

Your budget is slightly low for a 5.1 headset . You have two options Cooler Master Sirus (S or normal edition , s is cheaper but comes without the control pod which looks super cool) and the Roccat Kave . According to review CM Sirus is a better performer then Kave but Kave is also equally lower priced i guess . So the choice is upto you.

Thanks for your input. I'm considering both Kave and Sirus.
By the way, are Sirus and Sirus S exactly same if we leave aside the control pod ? If yes then I may be inclined in favor of Sirus S as it comes 3.5k cheaper.

Also, to be clear, I need a 5.1 headset purely for HD videos. For music needs I have denon and as for gaming i'm not much into it.

Imo if you are using a xonar card like me just check if you like the Dolby Headphone setting under the audio center of the card. I liked it and use it 24x7 with my headphones. I haven't heard any dedicated 5.1 headphone but when i play Battlefield 3 i am able to hear everything and each detail of the environment like enemy footsteps,explosions etc which most gaming headsets claim to do maybe due to open nature of headphones but it benefit a lot while gaming.

^ Tried a few videos with following settings on : Dolby Headphone, 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter, SVN
Sound quality is definitely better now.
I don't have a true 5.1 to compare with so I don't really know what I'm missing but it certainly sounds better.
Thanks for the tip, repped :)

Back