CPU/Mobo Please suggest LGA 775 board

karmyster

Disciple
Guys please suggest a cheap and reliable LGA 775 board. I need 6 USB ports, 1 PCI, 1 PCIx16, IDE port, 3 useable SATA ports (after installing GFX) and should accept DDR2 800 RAM.

Current components:
Intel Core2Duo E6400 2.13Ghz
Corsair XMS2 1GB x 2
SATA HDD x 3
XFX GTS 250
Corsair VX550
Atheros Wireless PCI card
Samsung DVD writer (IDE)

I would like to spend a max of 3.5-4k. Am not confident of Intel boards; please suggest alternatives. Would be good if I could get a board that allows me to do a little overclocking.
Thanks

Gigabyte G31/G41 - ES2L. Costs under 2.5k and meets all your requirements. I've used the G31 board and back then, with the E8400 had OC'ed the E8400 to 4GHz without issues.

PS: Had a minor niggle with the board though. When OC'ed, the ethernet adapter is not recognised by Windows. Setting the PCI-E freq. manually to 100MHz doesn't help either.

The G31s seem to be hard to find these days, tried my luck finding one for a friend's system. Most shops only stocked the DDR3 and DDR2 supporting G41s. Your budget is more than whats required, and get this Gigabyte one if you can, very VFM board.

Gannu said:
Gigabyte G31/G41 - ES2L. Costs under 2.5k and meets all your requirements. I've used the G31 board and back then, with the E8400 had OC'ed the E8400 to 4GHz without issues.

PS: Had a minor niggle with the board though. When OC'ed, the ethernet adapter is not recognised by Windows. Setting the PCI-E freq. manually to 100MHz doesn't help either.
Same over here with my gigabyte too.I don't know what happens to it when it's overclocked.For now my Ethernet port is working,if it fails again am not gonna spare it.

Karmyster consider this board MSI G31TM-P21 (Intel G31, LGA775) MotherBoard-----------2100/- http://www.anythinginit.com/product-details.asp?ppk=8456&scpk=6

The g31 Gigabyte is very vfm board...but not made for extreme overclocks....when ur comp is running the NB gets pretty hot..try touching the sink after 2hr's of gameplay...ofcourse the board is stable even at those temps but it's life gets reduced drastically...for a mild overclock the board is good but not recommended for xtreme clocks as u don't have extreme control over all ur voltages and frequencies when u use that board....so get that board but don't extreme overclock even if the board lets u do it ;)

Well to be honest, i'll go for the Gigabyte one purely on the basis of good ASS which in case of ASUS (Rashi Peripherals) has improved but still is a little bit of a turn off.

Back