Please suggest : Modem or Modem + Router

I am using Beetel 220bx modem & Asus RT N13u router (for downloading)

From last 15-20 days, modem is heating a lot (may be due to summer) & connection drops.
Just Off and ON is not working.I have to remove all 3 cables (Power, LAN, Telephone) and plug again to access the net.

Is there any problem with
1) Modem? if yes, please suggest new modem
2) ISP
3) Network Settings

If there is not much difference between Modem & Modem + Router, please suggest later one

If I buy Modem + Router, Can I use it along with Asus to increase the range?

From last 15-20 days, modem is heating a lot (may be due to summer) & connection drops.
These modems are best positioned vertically so they get good ventilation. The 200bx given its shape might not allow you to do this though. I use D-link DSL-2502U and its been fine for a year now.

Just Off and ON is not working.I have to remove all 3 cables (Power, LAN, Telephone) and plug again to access the net.
Why you have to remove cables is a mystery to me. When this problem occasionally occurs i just power modem off and leave it cool down and restart it later. My modem and router is on a UPS. Do you have much power swings in your area.

Is there any problem with
1) Modem? if yes, please suggest new modem
2) ISP
3) Network Settings
If you find it warmer than usual there might be a problem with it. It could even be the modem power supply. You could get it serviced or pick up a new one, the d-link above works fine.

If there is not much difference between Modem & Modem + Router, please suggest later one
If modem gives problem in modem+router then you have to replace the entire unit. That is more expensive.

Better is modem seperate, router seperate. Larger selection in both products is possible this way.

If I buy Modem + Router, Can I use it along with Asus to increase the range?
The N13 has very good range. Do you not find it adequate ?

You can configure the N13 as a repeater if you get another router.

Will try by removing just power cable next time it stops..:)
What is the price of D-link DSL-2502U?
Till now, no problem with range.

If you have a Spare 12v fan you can use that to cool it.

I have a Spare fan which I got from a Crap dealer & that fan was a Yateloon Medium speed.

Back