please suggest pc for VMWARE & GNS3

nolifeonmars

Disciple
i building this pc for vmware ( running multiple OS for practice purpose ) & GNS3 ( cisco networking practice software ) .
  1. Q: What is your budget?
    1. 40K
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    1. CPU - AMD 2800+ 64 bit
    2. Motherboard - MSI
    3. GPU - NVEDIA GE force fx 5200
    4. RAM - Transcend 2X1GB ddr 400
    5. HDD: WD 750 GB Black ( sata 2 ) & Hitachi 250gb ( Sata 2)
    6. Monitor - samsung 15"
    7. SMPS - Vip 450 w
    8. sound card :creative 5.1 sound
    9. creative 5.1 speaker
  3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    1. Monitor : samsung
    2. creative 5.1 speaker
    3. HDD: WD 750 GB Black ( sata 2 ) & Hitachi 250gb ( Sata 2)
  4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    1. CPU - i7 3770
    2. Motherboard - Z77 any compatible motherboard
    3. GPU - on board
    4. Ram - 2 x 8 gb ( 16GB Vengeance Dual Channel Kit)
    5. SMPS - 600W please suggest
    6. Cabinet - Please suggest
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    1. Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
    2. RAM - 16GB Ram additional ( 2 x 8 gb ) or when ram price further drop
    3. 24" LCD monitor or bigger
  6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    1. Mumbai
  7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    1. No
  8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    1. VMware
    2. GNS 3
    3. Browsing
    4. Desktop Processing
    5. HTPC
    6. Download rig, 24x7 operation
    7. Watching HD movies by connecting to 42" PLasma tv
  9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    1. NO
  10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playin
  11. NO

12. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - 1024x768
  13. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    1. No
  14. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    1. Windows 7 64 bit

If Virtualization is your prime requirement, then you could better consider a AMD FX 8120/8150 Processor. It's a known fact that the Bulldozer chips fares poorly, in single threaded applications; But when it comes to Multi-threaded Applications , these Bulldozer chips can give those intel i7s a run for their money. Still the top range I7s can beat the bulldozer hands down, But if you factor the recent price reduction in the FX Chips (fx 8120 = 9400 /fx 8150= 11675 @SMC), its the Best Bang for Buck. You can combine it with a Asrock Mobo 990fx extreme4 and do wonders with the likes of VMware.

CPU = AMD FX 8120/8150 ~ Rs.9400/11675

Mobo = Asrock 990fx Extreme 4 ~ Rs.8500 (no inbuilt GPU available)

GPU = MSI N550GTX-Ti Cyclone II ~ Rs.6700 (this budget card is enough for running games with decent fps. if you are not planning for games, then get some sub 4k cards )

RAM = 2x4 GB Gskill -Ripjaws 1600Mhz - Rs.3400 (you need atleast 32 GB RAM if you are planning for a entire Cloud Setup with Vsphere)

Cabinet = Corsair 400R ~ Rs.5K

SMPS = not my area of expertise, will leave it to other TE Members

I've personal experience in running VMware Cloud & Microsoft Clouds on both Xeon(sandy bridge) based machines & Bulldozer chips(desktop CPUs). IF virtualization is your requirement, & with your budget of 40k BULLDOZER is the way to go!

I'll say go for phenom x6 1090T. True VFM and multicore based apps' hero.

This:

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T - 8800

CM hyper TX3 evo - 1438

ASUS M5A97 - 6776

G-skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9S-4*2GBXL - 3100

AMD 6670 - 4500

ASUS 24X Sata Black DVD - 1150

Corsair GS600 - 4000

NZXT Gamma - 2600

Logitech MK200 - 700

And One more thing, these FX chips are extermely HOT! I mean real damn HOT , when you run 3 or more VMs parallely. So its highly recommended to get a good pair of CPU Coolers probably Noctua u12p se2 or dh14 se2 (ALPHA17's Favorite :)) . In case if you plan to overclock, then get a liquid cooler like corsair h60. Hope this Helps!

I would recommend the following configuration [if you can hold your purchase till late May] --

Intel Core i7 2600 ~15500/- OR Core i7 3770 ~18000/-

Intel H77 based motherboard ~7500/- [you do not need an Z77 based chipset as you are not over-clocking]

G.Skill RIPJAWS 8GB x2 ~6000/-

Corsair TX V2 750W ~6500/-

LG / Samsung OEM DVD drive ~1000/-

NZXT Gamma ~2600/-

Logitech K200 combo ~700/-

Add a decent cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ~2400/- to keep the processor chilled when running ops 24 / 7. Do not use the Intel stock heat-sink-fan under any circumstances it is next to useless.

I have asked you to go for a higher rated PSU because --
  • VMWare needs might demand extra hard-drives and you already have quite an assortment of drives right now.
  • It is higher efficiency, so slight savings on continuous usage.
  • Corsair a reliable name in the RMA circles so no headaches there.
  • The NZXT Gamma is the baseline cabinet you must get, if you can extend your budget a little grab the Corsair Carbide 400R.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

i will not go for AMD .. in terms of performance intel still beat AMD .. Ivy bridge is not full available in mumbai . i will wait till may end for ivy bridge

Asus ENGTX560 Ti DCII/2DI/1GD5 - 13350

he is not gaming JuGGa, no point bundling a graphics card of the calibre of the GTX 560Ti, at max I will recommend OP to go with a AMD HD 6670 ~4500/- if he wants a discrete GPU over a IGP.

i will not go for AMD .. in terms of performance intel still beat AMD .. Ivy bridge is not full available in mumbai . i will wait till may end for ivy bridge

Of course 2600k beats 1090T, but if talk about VFM performance, its no where near. Once you OC 1090T upto 4+, it will give you immense performance, if not beating, but still closing in the apps you require, or even 990X.

Of course 2600k beats 1090T, but if talk about VFM performance, its no where near.

I also used to think similarly JuGGa, but the fact is a VMWare machine is supposed to run long hours along with the factor of continual load on them.

4GHz is a serious jump in over-clocking, sure a hydro-cooler on the lines of SVG Tech HOC 40 ~6500/- OR Corsair H100 ~8000/-, will go a long way to dissipated heat effectively, but they cannot stop a few things --
  • excess heat generated at the transistor level, damages the gates irrespective of the cooling. This is the main reason an over-clocked processor dies earlier.
  • the needed voltage bump raises the power consumed, sure you closed the gap and performance but you are loosing the saved money in inflated electricity bills.
  • nothing changes the fact that Thuban is EoL and is a outdated architecture compared to Intel Ivy-Bridge.

Just my point of view, although at super low budgets the Thuban is still a better buy than any Intel Core i5 quad-core design. Cheers!!

Hmm.. you have a point in first point. Regarding 3rd point, a good product is always good, doesn't matters its EoL, until & unless a similarly performing product arrives with at least near same pricing. Nevertheless, if one has a budget to go for 2600k or IB, then no point of looking behind. Thanks for the view!

Friends wouldnt a Core i5 2500K with the latest Intel Chipset supporting 32GB RAM work? This would save money for more RAM + better PSU and MB + Cabinet.

Sandy Bridge has almost revolutionised the performance of Procs.

Its really for testing purpose that a techie requires for self study and rest its used as gaming, HTPC etc. Then why go for that additional core in Core i7. Besides Ivy Bridge is not going to be exceptionally different then Sandy Bridge in performance, as what Sandy Bridge was for its previous gen processors.

The OT should give more details on how many VMs at a time would be running within the VMware hypervisor. Else it would end up being close to buying a Core i7 system at a price closer to a SandyBridge Xeon where as even a Core i5 2500K would suffice.

Just my 2 cents. Enlighten me if you find my suggestion wrong.

Friends wouldnt a Core i5 2500K with the latest Intel Chipset supporting 32GB RAM work? This would save money for more RAM + better PSU and MB + Cabinet.

Its really for testing purpose that a techie requires for self study and rest its used as gaming, HTPC etc. Then why go for that additional core in Core i7. Besides Ivy Bridge is not going to be exceptionally different then Sandy Bridge in performance, as what Sandy Bridge was for its previous gen processors.

Just my 2 cents. Enlighten me if you find my suggestion wrong.

I must say that you aren't wrong but you have misjudged the application of the OP. He has said VMWare and no gaming, so gaming goes out of the window as well as the Intel HD 3000 IGP can handle the HTPC role credibily.

Next the problems with the Intel Core i5 2500k is as follows --
  • Four cores, whilst the hyper-threaded cores of the Core i7 comes into the fray while using multiple VMWare.
  • Slightly slower clock speed and OP is not interested in over-clocking so there.
  • The TDP of an Ivy Bridge Core i7 chip(s) is 77W whereas the Sandy-Bridge chips eats ~90W. After all if we go by cores, currently the AMD Thuban / Zambezi chips are surely worth a look but they guzzle even more electricity at ~130W for lesser performance.

OP is buying a system now, in my thought process if he was upgrading from Sandy-Bridge OR AMD Thuban then I would have recommended him to wait till Intel released Haswell chips in Q1 2013.

Another set off issues I highlighted earlier --

4GHz is a serious jump in over-clocking, sure a hydro-cooler on the lines of SVG Tech HOC 40 ~6500/- OR Corsair H100 ~8000/-, will go a long way to dissipated heat effectively, but they cannot stop a few things --
  • excess heat generated at the transistor level, damages the gates irrespective of the cooling. This is the main reason an over-clocked processor dies earlier.
  • the needed voltage bump raises the power consumed, sure you closed the gap and performance but you are loosing the saved money in inflated electricity bills.
  • nothing changes the fact that Thuban is EoL and is a outdated architecture compared to Intel Ivy-Bridge.

This is your thought process and if we differ I have no issues, Cheers!!

I must say that you aren't wrong but you have misjudged the application of the OP. He has said VMWare and no gaming, so gaming goes out of the window as well as the Intel HD 3000 IGP can handle the HTPC role credibily.

This is your thought process and if we differ I have no issues, Cheers!!

As I said if the OP could give more details I think our members could give much better suggestions, else its more hardware and less utilization.

Guess it would lead towards building a mid range Server itself. Any ways havent had enough time these days for the desktop hardware research. Have been extensively working on HP Proliants. Soon looking forward to building a mid budget desktop system for testing purpose. Everyones suggestions and insights would be handy.

Yes ofcourse we are here to understand each others thought process and give suggestions, so no issues. Cheers!

Sorry JuGGa the Core i5 2500k outruns the Phenom IIx6 1100T by a credible margin --> http://www.anandtech...duct/288?vs=203.

The Core i7 3770k just widens the disparity --> http://www.anandtech...duct/551?vs=203.

I meant OCed phenom
<

I meant OCed phenom
sad.gif

JuGGa then we will have to maintain the parity, over-clock the Core i5 to that level too. See that is where Intel pulls ahead thanks to a newer leaner architecture.

You cannot claim that only the AMD processor is over-clockable and thus will perform better, the added power draw and other myriad reasons will dictate that it will burn-out sooner too.

As I said if the OP could give more details I think our members could give much better suggestions, else its more hardware and less utilization.

Guess it would lead towards building a mid range Server itself. Any ways havent had enough time these days for the desktop hardware research. Have been extensively working on HP Proliants. Soon looking forward to building a mid budget desktop system for testing purpose. Everyones suggestions and insights would be handy.

He has followed the template and given us an adequate understanding of what he wants to do, we can ask him whether he will utilize a certain VMWare solution but that is about it.

If you want to build a new RIG for yourself Sire, start a thread when required and we will be there to help, Cheers!!

By the way what do you work as?

He has followed the template and given us an adequate understanding of what he wants to do, we can ask him whether he will utilize a certain VMWare solution but that is about it.

If you want to build a new RIG for yourself Sire, start a thread when required and we will be there to help, Cheers!!

By the way what do you work as?

Ah the template, but as you said if the thought differs you dont have issues, so my thought doesnt just revolve around the template or what someone else understood, hope there are no issues here. I believe in probing for more and getting more information which, may be the template couldnt reflect or extract from the OP.

About starting a new thread, good suggestion dear, but I would first want to go through existing threads and if I really dont get a solution I would definetly open up a new thread. It may happen in month or two but I would be reading the threads on our forum for all the geeks suggestions and hope there wont arise a need to open a new thread ;-)

About what I work as, would just say last year had an article published on MS website. Hope that helps you the real Sire being a previliged member. Cheers!!

i will using windows 7 64 bit OS , on that i will running vmware workstation for emulation of checkpoint firewall 4 to 5 vm , some times cisco unified call manager ver 8 - 2 vm . GNS 3 . in Qemu cisco ASA & IPS . this stuff i will used for my networking studies .

i had checked some shop in laminton road .. Ivy bridge is not yet available fully . I have to wait for some more days

Hi guy ,

Finally i got money . My budget is 50 k might increase few thousand more

i planning to buy below system by next week . I will be not overclocking the system .I will adding more 8 gb ram & 2 Tb HDD in coming 5-6 month .

i7-3770
gigabyte Z77-d3h
ram- 1x8gb ( please suggest )
PSU ( in range 4k max - please suggest )
cabinet ( max 4k - Please suggest )
Microsoft Wireless keyboard & mouse
24 " Led Monitor ( Please suggest i will reading ebook on this monitor & studying ) - No gaming

Back