Please suggest some anime movies that have a similar vibe to Makoto Shinkai movies

I had a very narrow spectrum of movies that I stayed in before being introduced to foreign films. I was not very interested in widening my spectrum. I was never keen to watch any foreign language films earlier and the most foreign I allowed was English movies. But after forcing myself to step out of my comfort zone I discovered so many good movies that now occupy very high spots in my list of favourite films. I was introduced to anime as well. And that really made a big difference. I recently watched Weathering With You, and it was my second movie from Makoto Shinkai. I had been putting off watching Weathering With You for the longest time. Not on purpose because I had wanted to watch it ever since I Your Name. And let me tell you I’m fairly new to the world of anime movies and have only watched a handful of movies till now. But I finally watched Weathering With You last week and I am so glad that I did. Actually I honestly had no doubts that I’ll like it but I love it so that’s even better. The visuals are to die for. I don’t even have enough adjectives to describe how beautiful the film looked. This is a new space for me and I would really like to get more suggestions for anime movies from you all. I don’t have a lot of patience or even time to commit to 700+ episodes of anime series, so I prefer watching movies instead. I have watched some Ghibli movies and some Shinkai movies till now, all of which I have loved. Watching Shinkai’s animation bringing the city of Tokyo to life with the water splashed streets and people wading their way through it in Weathering With You made me want to jump inside the screen. Do you ever feel like you could go inside a movie? This one made me feel like that. Please suggest more movies like this that I can watch. Thanks!

Hayao Miyazaki portrayed Japan pretty well in most (if not all) of his movies. In fact, all Studio Ghibli movies have great portrayal of Japanese culture & history.

Which Ghibli movies have you seen till now, by the way?

From Studio Ghibli I have watched 'A wind rises' and 'Ponyo' aired at my local India-Japan language meet-ups before lockdown kicked in. I watch them mostly to learn the language as I planned to clear the JLPT N5 level exam. (There are proper course material available, am just being unconventional)

Recently I watched 'rent aa neko' (Rent-a-cat), it's a slow and calmy narrated story for your lazy Sunday noon.

From Studio Ghibli I have watched 'A wind rises' and 'Ponyo' aired at my local India-Japan language meet-ups before lockdown kicked in. I watch them mostly to learn the language as I planned to clear the JLPT N5 level exam. (There are proper course material available, am just being unconventional)

Recently I watched 'rent aa neko' (Rent-a-cat), it's a slow and calmy narrated story for your lazy Sunday noon.
That's nice! Movies are indeed a great way to understand a language. Back in the day, I used to use subtitles for all my English movies. Now, I don't need to (except in Nolan's works).

Talking about Ghibli movies, The Wind Rises is actually my second favourite WWII movie after Grave Of The Fireflies. Both movies were full of emotions that even some of the greatest Hollywood movies can't replace. I highly suggest you watch some more Ghibli films, you'll definitely like them. My suggestions would be (all are available on Netflix except Grave of the Fireflies):
  • Grave of the Fireflies
  • When Marnie Was There
  • Pom Poko
  • Ocean Waves
  • The Tale of Princess Kaguya
  • My Neighbour The Yamadas (Comedy)
  • Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Porco Rosso
  • Whisper of the Heart
I'm glad I've watched most of Ghibli's works. However, I still have Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaa & Tales from Earthsea on my watchlist!

That's nice! Movies are indeed a great way to understand a language. Back in the day, I used to use subtitles for all my English movies. Now, I don't need to (except in Nolan's works).

Talking about Ghibli movies, The Wind Rises is actually my second favourite WWII movie after Grave Of The Fireflies. Both movies were full of emotions that even some of the greatest Hollywood movies can't replace. I highly suggest you watch some more Ghibli films, you'll definitely like them. My suggestions would be (all are available on Netflix except Grave of the Fireflies):
  • Grave of the Fireflies
  • When Marnie Was There
  • Pom Poko
  • Ocean Waves
  • The Tale of Princess Kaguya
  • My Neighbour The Yamadas (Comedy)
  • Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Porco Rosso
  • Whisper of the Heart
I'm glad I've watched most of Ghibli's works. However, I still have Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaa & Tales from Earthsea on my watchlist!
Thanks so much for these suggestion. I'm very new to anime so I'm gonna start watching now!

Hayao Miyazaki portrayed Japan pretty well in most (if not all) of his movies. In fact, all Studio Ghibli movies have great portrayal of Japanese culture & history.

Which Ghibli movies have you seen till now, by the way?
From Ghibli I have watched Spirited Away of course. Kiki's Delivery Service and Howl's Moving Castle. Loved all of them

I was about to recommend, Kimi no Na Wa, from Makoto Shinkai. Scratch that.

Akira,Bubblegum Crysis and Redline if you like cyberpunk.
Kimi No Na Wa is like my absolute favourite anime movie till now and I love Shinkai's visuals. I think he's probably my favourite animator. Haven't seen the last ones ypu mentioned but will check them out. Thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks so much for these suggestion. I'm very new to anime so I'm gonna start watching now!

From Ghibli I have watched Spirited Away of course. Kiki's Delivery Service and Howl's Moving Castle. Loved all of them

Kimi No Na Wa is like my absolute favourite anime movie till now and I love Shinkai's visuals. I think he's probably my favourite animator. Haven't seen the last ones ypu mentioned but will check them out. Thanks for the suggestions!
Spirited Away was my first foray into the Ghibli Museum of Anime!

It's indeed a great movie (still not in my favourites though) and it paved the way for some of the other Ghibli classics.

Fun fact: I discovered Studio Ghibli when searching for Cameron Diaz Oscar nominations (after watching Vanilla Sky & Gangs of New York). Even though Cameron Diaz didn't get any Oscar nomination (even after acting brilliantly in a supporting role for both of these movies), I bumped into one of her 2003 Oscar snippets announcing Spirited Away as the best animation film. And that's where my love for Ghibli began!

Spirited Away was my first foray into the Ghibli Museum of Anime!

It's indeed a great movie (still not in my favourites though) and it paved the way for some of the other Ghibli classics.

Fun fact: I discovered Studio Ghibli when searching for Cameron Diaz Oscar nominations (after watching Vanilla Sky & Gangs of New York). Even though Cameron Diaz didn't get any Oscar nomination (even after acting brilliantly in a supporting role for both of these movies), I bumped into one of her 2003 Oscar snippets announcing Spirited Away as the best animation film. And that's where my love for Ghibli began!
This was such a cool anecdote! I watched Spirited Away fairly recently when I was randomly browsing YT and came across a Billie Eilish interview where she said that was her favourite movie as a child but it freaked her brother out. I love Spirited Away a lot honestly

Back