Windows Please suggest some methods to use ZFS/btrfs with Windows

deusExMachina

Disciple
I have to revert to Windows on my main personal computer because of hardware compatibility issues. One of the things that was quite good on the other oses were the better filesystems.

Is there a reliable (i.e. no crappy unstable fs drivers) way to add support for either of these filesystems on Windows? Right now I'm thinking of adding a virtualbox VM with raw disk access and a suitable OS installed. The path could be shared over SMB into windows.

I'm open to better solutions (short of going back to Linux of course)

> The path could be shared over SMB into windows.

If that is the case, does the file system matter ? File transfer is over SMB anyways ?

> The path could be shared over SMB into windows.

If that is the case, does the file system matter ? File transfer is over SMB anyways ?
The purpose was to use the more advanced filesystems that aren't available on Windows, like ZFS or btrfs. The SMB just facilitates that. I don't think CoW works properly over SMB though.

> I don't think CoW works properly over SMB though.

Sorry didn't get this part, what is CoW ?

You can use any filesystem on your Linux system, SMB protocol can be used to transfer data from Linux shared folders to Windows, work fine.

Seems I cannot fully understand what your scope is.

@kiran6680, WSL lets you mount partitions? never thought it could, but good to know.

@TEUser2K1 It's a feature of Btrfs/ZFS. One observable benefit is when you make copies of some data, it wouldn't take up extra space till you start modifying something. Also the copying process is nearly instant. Over SMB, I didn't see this happening.

I had mounted things like C:/Users/Kiran to /home/kiran inside WSL in my earlier work laptop. So I guess partitions should also be mountable, just need to change the mount command like D: mounting to /media/btrfs.

Back