Pls suggest [15K-30K] smartphone with good still camera and drive navigation

rshri

Adept
Hi,

I am still on a good-old feature phone and have never used a smartphone before! I have zero experience with smartphone OS like iOS/Android and hence have no preference at all. Buying smartphone only because it feels awkward (read shameful ;)) when I have to use my cheap phone in front of acquaintances!

All I am looking for (in order of importance) is -
1) Very good voice quality (both on normal mode and speaker mode). This is most important!
2) A good still camera (I don't care about videos, I have a camcorder for that). I think 5MP picture should be fine for me. Picture sharpness & night photography is more important to me.
3) Real-time driving directions. I want to use it as car navigation system
4) Tough. Should be able to withstand drops to floor (happens sometimes).
5) Small size (should be pocket-able without any discomfort)
6) Battery life (Not that important, I don't really need to sustain phone charge more than a day)

I will NEVER use it for games or watching videos. So I don't really need a strong processor I guess.

My budget is flexible - 15K to 30K.

Please advice! Thanks!

Nokia N8 would be my suggestion.

Why ?

1. Its sturdy
2. Nokia free offline navigation
3. Battery Life is decent as well
4. Good call quality
5. Low light photo performance second to none among cameraphones (808 is almost similar, not hugely better)

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I will look up N8 and 710 in local stores & reviews (the linked 'Photo Compare Tool' is great!).
One thing though - Wife is strongly urging me to get myself iPhone5 whenever it get available :unsure:
I know that it will be priced at around 45K. What I want to know is - Will it have all the features that I have listed?

The Iphone 4S is not very tough. The back panel glass get shattered if you drop it. But then Iphone 5 might have a different material. So one cant comment on that.
Nokia Navigation is still the best in the business.
The camera of iPhone is pretty good though. Both the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S have almost best in class 5MP and 8MP shooters. Don't compare them with the N8 though since its a different beast.

Yes I agree, Nokia N8 is the 2nd best camera phone to get after the Nokia 808 Pureview. However, N8 should be more durable than 808.
If you want to go the android way(there's no need really considering your requirements) you can take a look at the Sony Xperia acro S, should be available soon.

Guys, Though Nokia N8 is undoubtedly most suitable phone for me, I have decided not to buy it. The reason being - few of my close friends and relatives already have it and for personal reasons I would like my new phone to be different from them (I know this is stupid but I can't help my feelings here). I am now thinking of Nokia Lumia 920. Please advise -
1. Will it have all the features I am looking for?
2. When is it expected to hit Indian markets and at what price?

^

I mentioned it already, I don't think Xperia S can handle multiple drops. Maybe if u buy a hard case it will be fine. But overall I wouldn't advise XS to someone who is looking for a rugged phone. Xperia Acro S and Xperia V are perfect for you but unfortunately there is no confirmation about India launch on either phone.

Acro S would be about 31k and Xperia V around 38k if launched.

Though Acro S can be had without warranty for 31k from Ebay.in

Watch these videos

Back