Plug Computer - Mini wonder

dheerajjotwani

Disciple
I recently got this great device i was lusting for a long long time... some of you know about it already... here it goes for the rest...

tonidoplug_packaging_small.jpg

MY PLUG : http://dheerajjotwani.dyndns.org:10001/

The TonidoPlug is a low-power home server that runs the open-source Tondio software that runs Linux and stays on 24/7. The TonidoPlug is powered by a 1.2GHz Sheeva ARM processor and at the heart of the Tonido stack is an Ubuntu Jaunty (Ubuntu 9.04) and shipping by default atop this Tonido stack are applications for torrents, photos, music, web sharing, a personal information manager, a private blog, search, and backup support. Other Tonido applications can also be easily installed. When a USB storage device is attached, the TonidoPlug additionally serves as a NAS.

CodeLathe is the company behind the TonidoPlug that measures in at 4 x 2.5 x 2 inches. Beyond the 1.2GHz Sheeva ARM CPU there is 512MB of DDR2 memory and 512MB of flash storage. For connectivity there is USB 2.0 and Gigabit Ethernet support. The official highlights from CodeLathe for this device include:

- Energy efficient green device
- Convert your USB drive to Network Attached Storage accessible as a networked drive
- Access your TonidoPlug using own URL
- Share and sync files, photos and music without uploading
- Drag-and-Drop file and folder uploading to your TonidoPlug from Windows, Linux, OSX from remote locations via WebDAV
- Listen to your MP3s from anywhere
- Download Torrents to your USB drive from anywhere
- Search and download your files
- Manage your calendar, contacts, and tasks
- Keep a personal blog, capture and store web snippets
- Automatic or Manual Backup of all your computers to TonidoPlug
- Stream media to the XBox 360 and PS3
- Access and share files using an iPhone-specific Tonido web app
- Extend your TonidoPlug with new apps from Tonido App store

The TonidoPlug itself is white and printed on the front is a small Tonido logo. On the left-side face of this Marvell ShevaPlug are two LED indicators for showing the system's status. On the bottom of the device is the Gigabit Ethernet connection along with the lone USB 2.0 connector. Removing the power connector so that the AC power cable could be used required a bit of force, but after that, it was easy to connect the power cable and easily set this ARM computer on a shelf.

Setting up the TonidoPlug was very easy to do. After hooking it up and accessing www.tonidoplug.com/id showed plug on my network. from there on it was just a basic GUI based setup of a username and password. The Tonido software is very easy to configure, there is an app store for easily installing new components, and CodeLathe does allow you to SSH into the device (with root) support for additional configuring and tweaking atop the Ubuntu 9.04 software. The beauty is its simple out of the box functionality for the noobest of the noobs (me included).

500px-TonidoPlug_With_PortForwarding.png

DEMO

IN ACTION

SCREENSHOTS (from product site)
Tonido2.jpg

tonidohomepage_n.png
tonido_explorer_detail.png
tonidophotos.png
tonidophotosslide.png
tonidojukebox.png
tonidowebshare.png
tonidonotes.png
tonidoworkspace.png
tonidotorrents.png
tonidotorrentfiles.png
tonidobackup.png

bought it online from the US... it got shipped to my friend there who then shipped it to me here... had a tough time with the local GPO to get it... got fleeced there... ended up paying them a bribe to release it... all in all it costed me 9k per unit... had bought two... the other one for a friend who now doesnt need it as he is setting up a baap of this cloud server to host three virtual servers... so one is available for anyone interested...

i have a plug computer. it is a full linux based arm computer booting off 512mb ram and 512mb rom... it has a gigabit ethernet port and one single usb 2.0 port. it runs ubuntu 9.04

seagate dockstar is more like a network attached storage... although u can make it to boot from a custom linux image, the ram and rom size it has are lesser. it has 128mb each... although it should be able to run torrents 24*7 without an issue... and for the price its gonna be awesome...

what makes tonido plug such a nifty device is that it runs tonido on it... everything like file sharing, blog hosting, network attached storage etc are all pre configured and set... you just need to use a gui to set it up to ur liking. doing the same on dockstar may be pretty difficult for somebody with zero or little linux knowledge...

if torrents is all you want then i would assist you make it work...

chaitu.genius said:
This may be off topic but i needed to ask

How did u setup the IP address???

Is it a static ip???
it comes set on DHCP out of the box. as you attach the lan cable, an ip address is assigned. there is a web gui which runs on the plug similar to the ones on the routers... it has an option to change and assign ip address... it is under this setting that i have assigned a static ip to the plug.

though there a couple of bash shell commands to find/change/assign ip address... i remember having used them...

Back