Android Poco F1's popularity; thoughts on Poco X3 Pro & Poco F3

lepermessiah

Disciple
I am the proud owner of an F1- thanks to @TheBark cutting me a good deal for my dream version- an 8/256GB Armored Edition with an unlocked bootloader and running Pixel Experience. It's like having an unofficial Pixel 3/XL. I've been keeping an eye on the Poco F1 classifieds here for quite sometime and one thing is quite consistent- these get sold in record time. I even saw a bootlooping one getting sold in a flash. I wanted the views of members here on why this almost 3 year old phone is still so popular. I'm putting down some of my thoughts as to why the F1 is still popular (please feel free to correct me or add on to this):

1) Very dev friendly and a still has a lot of community support.
2) Good specs. SD845 is still relevant and its gaming performance is better than some mid rangers.
3) Some seem to like the IR face scanner.
4) Abuse friendly build since it's having a plastic back. I like the kevlar back mine's got. Seems like the screen is a bit fragile, but I feel if we're using a tempered glass screen protector and a rugged case (like the Ringke Fusion), it's fine.
5) Consistent, dependable performance (seems like the thermals are nice thanks to the strong cooling system). I found that the F1 is quite smooth and stable too.
6) Solid, consistent battery life. Even under scenarios like using it in my car as GPS along with streaming Spotify in a sunny day, this thing lasts well. Even in extended gaming sessions, the F1 holds up well.
7) While I am no expert in photography and even though I prefer the camera of my LG V20 (love the manual mode and controls, plus it has OIS), I find that the F1 can take nice photos if I'm using the GCam.
8) Again, though I do not usually use the F1 for this, the stereo speakers are pretty nice.
9) Last but not the least- the VFM proposition. One gets a lot for what one pays for.

Since the Poco X3 Pro has been launched recently and the F3 is on the horizon (I hope this would also be launched here), I was also thinking it would be interesting to see what you guys think of them compared to the F1. Some spec sheet advantages for the X3 Pro would be:

1) Like it since it has a plastic back like the F1. Hopefully, it would hold up to the daily grind.
2) Updated SoC. The SD860 would be a nice performer (at least better than the mid range chipsets when it comes to gaming performance).
3) Faster storage. UFS 3.1 vs UFS 2.1
4) Better camera hardware (on paper, at least).
5) Should be having a much better HRR screen, center punch hole seems to be less obnoxious than the F1's unibrow/ bathtub notch.
6) Even better battery (at least in terms of capacity).
7) Seems that the thermals are good and so is the sustained performance, as per the gsmarena review.
8) IR Blaster! This is so useful.

Only two aspects where the X3 Pro takes a step back as compared to the F1 I can think of:

1) Dev support and community love for the X3 Pro remains to be seen (although it seems quite likely that this one would also be having an active dev scene because of the nice specs and the low price point). The F1 kind of is a legend in this regard.
2) IR face unlock is gone, but I doubt whether many would miss this one.

Some spec sheet advantages for the F3 would be:
1) Better looks (and maybe percieved build quality) than the X3 Pro (at the expense of durability)
2) Even more faster SoC- SD870.
3) Faster storage like the X3 Pro.
4) Better camera hardware on paper, like the X3 Pro again.
5) HRR Amoled screen (Though I prefer the durability of LCDs, each to his own in this subjective matter).
6) Good tested battery life as per the gsmarena review.
7) Like the X3 Pro, seems that this one also seems to have good thermals and has good sustained performance, as per the gsmarena review.
8) IR Blaster! This is so useful.

Unlike the X3 Pro, I feel there are more areas where the F3 takes a step back when it comes to the F1 (and X3 Pro):

1) I may be in the minority here, but I'm not a fan of the F3's glass sandwich design. The F1 and X3 Pro, though made of plastic is more abuse friendly and is more suitable for the daily grind.
2) Like more expensive phones nowadays, the more you pay, the less you get. The F3 loses the headphone jack, the microSD slot and gets a smaller battery for the sake of aesthetics.
3) Even lesser scope for an active dev support for the F3 than the X3 Pro since this one would inevitably be priced higher and most devs would not be incentivized to buy it.

Would welcome your thoughts on the above as well.

At the end of the day, the X3 Pro feels like an actual spiritual successor to the F1 than the F3. So, would like to know- would existing F1 owners trade up for an X3 Pro?

Poco F1 was the last outlier in terms of insane VFM factor and complete flagship feature set. It is still so relevant because we have so called 'mid-range' phones like OP Nord which comes with processors inferior to SD 845 even after 3 years and that too for 27k! F1 launched for a lesser price!

While X3 pro ad F3 are good phones but they still not match the value proposition that F1 was. I still do not consider anything to be a Poco F1 successor.

I'd not trade an F1 for X3 Pro. F1 has spoiled me with its sheer performance. 860 would not hold up so well after 3 years that 845 does as its not a true current gen flagship.

I really wanted to purchase a Poco F1 after my old Moto G5 (this phone has an insane custome ROM support after the RedMi Note 5 and similar from its era). The particular example I picked up wouldn't unlock and so I sold it here on Techenclave and that really put me off. Had this not happened, I might have stuck to it and not purchased the then new Poco X3 for the exact reasons you've listed.

It already has decent support for custom ROMs although not as active as either the F1 or Potter but I'm optimistic that it will pick up further. Also the X3 Pro for all practical purposes is the same device except the newer chipset and I'd imagine its custom ROMs will more or less depend of the original X3 NFC (surya/karna) in a way.

Also I don't really expect custom development picking up within the first year or so anyways but lets hope for the best.

Poco F1 was the first flagship of a new company so they had to make it good. Same was the case of OnePlus One. The companies had to gather market share so they really out their best up forwards. Later attempts, not so much.

I currently use a Poco F1 running an AOSP android 11 ROM. Very happy with the performance and I honestly don't see myself changing phones anytime soon. I had an OnePlus One before the Poco.

Poco F1 was the last outlier in terms of insane VFM factor and complete flagship feature set. It is still so relevant because we have so called 'mid-range' phones like OP Nord which comes with processors inferior to SD 845 even after 3 years and that too for 27k! F1 launched for a lesser price!

While X3 pro ad F3 are good phones but they still not match the value proposition that F1 was. I still do not consider anything to be a Poco F1 successor.

I'd not trade an F1 for X3 Pro. F1 has spoiled me with its sheer performance. 860 would not hold up so well after 3 years that 845 does as its not a true current gen flagship.

Very true about the Nord- that is OnePlus blatantly trying to cash in on its existing goodwill. I was *this* close to buying a Nord. Thankfully, I waited it out for the reviews and the final nail in the coffin was when it flunked the jerryrig durability test. Providence came in the form of the F1 theBark had put up for sale in the classifieds here. Loving the F1 (and Pixel Experience) for its smooth and dependable performance.

I really wanted to purchase a Poco F1 after my old Moto G5 (this phone has an insane custome ROM support after the RedMi Note 5 and similar from its era). The particular example I picked up wouldn't unlock and so I sold it here on Techenclave and that really put me off. Had this not happened, I might have stuck to it and not purchased the then new Poco X3 for the exact reasons you've listed.

It already has decent support for custom ROMs although not as active as either the F1 or Potter but I'm optimistic that it will pick up further. Also the X3 Pro for all practical purposes is the same device except the newer chipset and I'd imagine its custom ROMs will more or less depend of the original X3 NFC (surya/karna) in a way.

Also I don't really expect custom development picking up within the first year or so anyways but lets hope for the best.

That's unfortunate.. Thankfully, most Xiaomi phones seem to have good community love. Even debloating the MIUI seems to perk things up quite a bit. A Redmi Note 8 Pro that I had debloated is still running very smoothly even now. Let's hope for the best and see if the support picks up.

Poco F1 was the first flagship of a new company so they had to make it good. Same was the case of OnePlus One. The companies had to gather market share so they really out their best up forwards. Later attempts, not so much.

I currently use a Poco F1 running an AOSP android 11 ROM. Very happy with the performance and I honestly don't see myself changing phones anytime soon. I had an OnePlus One before the Poco.

You are smart in milking the most out of the phones that you own. If you were using the OP One before the F1, you must have used it for at least 4-5 years. Assuming that you picked up the F1 around 2018-19, you would be using it till 2022-23.. Better to buy a high performance VFM phone and run it for 4-5 years than to shell out money for a mid ranger every year or two.. Very nice! This is something which I am also doing (at least trying) myself.

I love the F1 when it is running something close to a stock/vanilla ROM and how decluttered and bloat free things are. How is the ROM that you are running on in terms of battery life? Anything broken in Android 11 for this ROM?

I had the lovely Poco F1 .. unfortunately I dropped it and had to buy new phone last year .. I had plans to use it for years.

Sorry to hear that.. Was it the screen that broke?

You are smart in milking the most out of the phones that you own. If you were using the OP One before the F1, you must have used it for at least 4-5 years. Assuming that you picked up the F1 around 2018-19, you would be using it till 2022-23.. Better to buy a high performance VFM phone and run it for 4-5 years than to shell out money for a mid ranger every year or two.. Very nice! This is something which I am also doing (at least trying) myself.

I love the F1 when it is running something close to a stock/vanilla ROM and how decluttered and bloat free things are. How is the ROM that you are running on in terms of battery life? Anything broken in Android 11 for this ROM?
I dont remember when I bought the OPO, probably some 3 months after it was launched. The OPO gave me problems and sicne early 2019 I was using a Redmi Note3 with lineageOS till november when I bought the Poco F1.

I'm running crdroid 7.4. Everything works and there are no bugs. I'm running adaway with youtube vanced, I don't get ads on any app or browser. Love the setup and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Even debloating the MIUI seems to perk things up quite a bit
Personally, I hate all the custom skins vendors apply over AOSP and prefer a stock experience. MIUI is the worst for me. Motorola was quite good in providing a near stock AOSP experience and I've heard Nokia does the same. Regardless, I like using custom ROMs which provide far superior AOSP experience with tons of features, bells and whistles.

Another note about X3 Pro, Like other new Xiaomi phones it is using Google dialer. This means, There is no automatic call recording and when you enable it manually during call, It'll notify the caller that the call is being recorded.
Xiaomi.eu rom brings back the miui dialer.

I dont remember when I bought the OPO, probably some 3 months after it was launched. The OPO gave me problems and sicne early 2019 I was using a Redmi Note3 with lineageOS till november when I bought the Poco F1.

Ah.. I also had the Redmi Note 3 from 2017 onwards.. Was using it as a backup/ general phone in the house. This thing is also a legend.. I was really surprised as to how usable it was even now when running lineageOS. Very snappy in day to day use. Another member on TE has bought it from me and he seems happy with it.

I'm running crdroid 7.4. Everything works and there are no bugs. I'm running adaway with youtube vanced, I don't get ads on any app or browser. Love the setup and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Good that I chatted with you. I better set up Adaway and Youtube Vanced on my phone too. Do you use a custom kernel (like Franco's)? How is the battery life on Android 11? What's the SOT that you usually get?

Glad I found this thread. I purchased an X3 Pro on the launch day however it won't be delivered before 06 May, 2021. With the F3 launched as the Mi 11x with a higher price by about Rs. 10,000 and a lack of headphone jack, does it make sense to go for it? I will certainly switch to a Custom ROM in the future so do you think the X3 Pro will have better community support over F3/11x?

Another note about X3 Pro, Like other new Xiaomi phones it is using Google dialer. This means, There is no automatic call recording and when you enable it manually during call, It'll notify the caller that the call is being recorded.
Xiaomi.eu rom brings back the miui dialer.
Also, question on this line, if I switch to an EU rom, will I need keep my bootloader unlocked or can I lock it as this is a stock rom just from a different geography?

Edit: One can't pass SafetyNet with the EU rom on Indian devices.

Last edited:
I will certainly switch to a Custom ROM in the future so do you think the X3 Pro will have better community support over F3/11x
I would expect the X3 pro to have similar support as the older Poco X3 because apart from the processor every other component is the same (more or less). In terms of custom ROM development it makes things a lot easier because there is an opportunity for devs to re-use the codebase and toolchains as-is or with minor tweaks. The trees for X3 are mature enough now so the dev process for X3 pro can simply start with them as a base and build on top of it instead of whipping up new recipes from scratch.

I'm not quite sure about the level of support for the F3 and 11x. The best thing you can do is monitor the chatter on XDA. Xiaomi devices, do generally have good custom ROM support but I'd expect it to take a couple of months for the first ROMs to arrive for new devices (if they haven't come out yet)

I would expect the X3 pro to have similar support as the older Poco X3 because apart from the processor every other component is the same (more or less). In terms of custom ROM development it makes things a lot easier because there is an opportunity for devs to re-use the codebase and toolchains as-is or with minor tweaks. The trees for X3 are mature enough now so the dev process for X3 pro can simply start with them as a base and build on top of it instead of whipping up new recipes from scratch.

I'm not quite sure about the level of support for the F3 and 11x. The best thing you can do is monitor the chatter on XDA. Xiaomi devices, do generally have good custom ROM support but I'd expect it to take a couple of months for the first ROMs to arrive for new devices (if they haven't come out yet)
The X3 Pro does have ROM development but I will wait for sometime before stable versions emerge. In the meanwhile, the amount of bloatware and useless apps on a Xiaomi device is staggering. I had to remove a lot of bloatware and then switch to Nova launch then customize it to my liking and hide the unremovable apps from the app drawer to finally get a good UI.

The X3 Pro does have ROM development but I will wait for sometime before stable versions emerge. In the meanwhile, the amount of bloatware and useless apps on a Xiaomi device is staggering. I had to remove a lot of bloatware and then switch to Nova launch then customize it to my liking and hide the unremovable apps from the app drawer to finally get a good UI.
and block data/wifi/background access to ton of apps that cannot be removed.

Back