Podcast listeners, please give me some podcast recommendations!

njsam

Recruit
Hello everyone, I hope you're doing well. I'd always been unable to listen to audiobooks until last year when someone on another forum made the analogy of working on listening to audiobooks like working a muscle. It clicked for me then and I've been hooked ever since. I've also started to listen to more podcasts. It wasn't a habit that stuck previously, but I'm having more success with it of late. And I've been listening to a lot of history and true crime podcasts. But most, if not all, of them are from the West. I'd like some reccos for Indian history and true crime podcasts in English (even better if it's something to do with Tamil Nadu) and generally other Indian podcasts that you like. Please and thank you :)

But most, if not all, of them are from the West. I'd like some reccos for Indian history and true crime podcasts in English (even better if it's something to do with Tamil Nadu) and generally other Indian podcasts that you like.
You might just have discovered a niche that has potential but doesn't exist as yet :)

The best you may find is people doing book talks about a book they wrote on those subjects.

For example

Not technically a podcast but you get the idea.

Last edited:
For Indian history I can recommend "The History of India" podcast by Kit Patrick. If I recall correctly it only covers Ancient Indian history, not medieval or newer stuff. I didn't manage to finish all seasons but whatever I did listen to was very good.

I personally feel podcasts are only good as an supplementary material to something you already have some knowledge in, or something you are reading about on the side. It is not a good primary source. So now, rather than sticking to one podcast, I google podcast episodes about whatever I'm currently interested in and choose something from there.

One really interesting podcast episode I can recommend to everyone is "Jungle Prince" by NYT. It's a two part podcast about a family that lived in the jungle in the middle of Delhi for 40 years.

You might just have discovered a niche that has potential but doesn't exist as yet :)

The best you may find is people doing book talks about a book they wrote on those subjects.

For example

Not technically a podcast but you get the idea.

That's an interesting video. I'll check it out. Thank you :)
For Indian history I can recommend "The History of India" podcast by Kit Patrick. If I recall correctly it only covers Ancient Indian history, not medieval or newer stuff. I didn't manage to finish all seasons but whatever I did listen to was very good.

I personally feel podcasts are only good as an supplementary material to something you already have some knowledge in, or something you are reading about on the side. It is not a good primary source. So now, rather than sticking to one podcast, I google podcast episodes about whatever I'm currently interested in and choose something from there.

One really interesting podcast episode I can recommend to everyone is "Jungle Prince" by NYT. It's a two part podcast about a family that lived in the jungle in the middle of Delhi for 40 years.

THANK YOU! Exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. I appreciate it
WTF is with Nikhil Kamath, available on Youtube

Thank you! :D

When you have had enough with your learning quota, you can try Safety Third or Trash Taste for turning your brain off and just enjoying.

Thanks for the reccs! I already listen to both, Safety Third and Trash Taste. Like I said in my post, this was mainly me looking for Indian podcasts to add to my rotation so I wasn't only listening to stuff from the West

This one gets into history of and the state of the contemporary information space.

I'm finding it absolutely fascinating because it gets into the whys by someone competent. That's the important part. This topic gets addressed in bits and bobs by numerous commentators and always comes across as CT because the context is missing. Not so here as both are pretty rigorous.

The internet started off by CIA, Nsa and state department not for freedom of speech but more to project American soft power.

Funding for Google founders by same 3 letter orgs was to assist birds of a feather to flock together. In other words track dissident groups worldwide with the aim of funding them and maybe topple unfriendly govts.

Web 1.0 was '97 to 2004. Forums & blogs
Web 2.0 is 2005 with the rise of Facebook and social media. Then the smart phone.

Think why using so many services were free. So the net catches the most fish

What I found intriguing was grouping the below

Trump, brexit followers, bolsonaro, orban, various right wing populist groups in Germany, Spain & Italy (now Meloni)

.. as Russia proxies (bogus reason) so like the earlier non aligned countries made things difficult for the US so do this lot. Notice how all get bashed in the western MSM.

Not finished listening yet but it leading towards censorship. Military control instead of civilian control of the Internet.

What was earlier considered free speech and good because it threatened autocrats is now not so good because social media is enabling populist right wing parties to win office.

What do we have in this country :oops:

The list of targets is Russia, China, Iran, Israel, Pakistan & Cuba during the Obama era. There could be more unspecified added since.

So shadow bans, demonetising or outright bans on Facebook & twitter for commentators on the right. Across the world (!) I know a few in India that got bumped off twitter only to be reinstated after Musk took over.

He mentions a well known liberal think tank, the Atlantic council whose YT discussions he followed over the years which acts as a brains trust. It has on its board, seven former CIA directors. That many in one place makes you wonder what these buggers are cooking up next.

Tucker also interviewed Mike Benz a month back

Last edited:
Back