Laptops POLL ACER5740g OR SONY VPC-EB-16FG/B

laptop7

Disciple
Hi All

iam really confused to which one to buy ACER5740g OR SONY VPC-EB-16FG/B. so starting this poll ......just reply in one word is it ACER5740g OR SONY VPC-EB-16FG/B

Why do you want to go with the crowd. Both are similar. Place them side by side and choose the one you like best. You'll not lose either way:)

@OP, it seems you are anwering your own question.... "plzzzz poll ANY one model" and "only CPU is different"... then flip a freaking coin and be done with it... its like you're that two-face from batman - cant make up your mind?! :D

btw go for the Sony B16 for its full HD screen... IMHO

Given the superior support that sony has,

SONY VPC-EB-16FG/B

But without telling us the config, price etc, there is no way we can judge.

@desibond, he DID tell us his version of the specs "only cpu is different" :D...

laptop7 said:
guys as both have same specs except processor so plzz just poll any one model...........

vishalrao said:
@OP, it seems you are anwering your own question.... "plzzzz poll ANY one model" and "only CPU is different"... then flip a freaking coin and be done with it... its like you're that two-face from batman - cant make up your mind?! :D

btw go for the Sony B16 for its full HD screen... IMHO

I guess loads of us are facing the same dilemma.

5740G ---- vs --------- Sony 16FG

Core i5 430m --------- core i3 330m

Linux 40K/ Win7 42.5K ------- win7 48K

Less heating --------- Full HD

Multi gesture tochpad -------- Better support

-------- Gorgeous and good to show off

--------- chiclet keyboard

-------- Underclocked CPU

Can you enlist any more pros/cons for them?

And please fill in the blanks :

Performance - 5740G

Gaming-

Entertainment- 16FG

Battery-

Ease of us- 16FG

Aesthetics- 16FG

VFM- 5740G

Aftersales service- 16FG

Resale (after 2-3years)-

ra13 said:

including ME :D

i recently did an "in depth" study/analysis/research project of the two models myself comparing lots of stuff between the two real live working samples (croma showroom) and STILL cant figure out which is best.

in summary: buy with your heart or your mind (as they say)... if you're right-brained you'll buy the sony for its one-notch-better "quality", if you're left-brained then go for the unbeatable VFM of the acer.

though in the end if i want to spend money i could finally end up just buying a rs 10k 64gb SSD and plonking it into my current HP Pavilion tx1302au tablet PC for uber performance boost.... and im in the process of trying to acquire one of these devices.

ra13 said:

5740G ---- vs --------- Sony 16FG
Core i5 430m --------- core i3 330m
Linux 40K/ Win7 42.5K ------- win7 48K
Less heating --------- Full HD
Multi gesture tochpad -------- Better support
-------- Gorgeous and good to show off
--------- chiclet keyboard
-------- Underclocked CPU

Can you enlist any more pros/cons for them?
And please fill in the blanks :

Performance - 5740G
Gaming-
Entertainment- 16FG
Battery-
Ease of us- 16FG
Aesthetics- 16FG
VFM- 5740G
Aftersales service- 16FG
Resale (after 2-3years)-

i think cpu is not underclocked in sony:no:
and as far as many said gpu is underclocked....i think the gpu core on sony is @ stock settings of 450mhz.checkout default amd clock speed range---->ATI Mobility Radeon? HD 5650 GPU Specifications
I think acer 5740g gpu is factory overclocked to 550mhz
And as far as comparison between ACER5740g v/s SONY VPC-EB-16FG/B is the point.Guys u missed another sony advantage
sony has e-sata port...acer don't:eek:hyeah:
i know this doesn't mean much to most of us...but 2 me its a boon as i have 500gb seagate external hdd with e-sata:D

^ Do you mind explaining the speed difference between sata and e-sata?

also, is e-sata external 500GB available in India? price?

And what's with this Catalyst driver thing? what's the low on that part from Sony?

It would be wonderful to make a guy with Acer 5740G sit opposite Sony 16FG owner and fight about whose is better! ;-)

wel since many ppl here are supportin sony..let me list few pros of acer5740g over sony:
1. sony's gpu underclokd by 100mhz so approx 20% decrease in performance in games.

2.sony doesnt support ati catalyst driver prog so latest drivers cannot be installed on sony hence again decrease in performance in games compared to acer.

3. sony has i3(2.13) wheras acer i5 (upto 2.53)..approx 19% increase in performance in acer.

4.ati 5650 will struggle to play recent games in full HD in sony..
IS i3-330 enough for recent games??

[The i3-330M is a two core processor with a clock rate of 2.13 GHz. In opposition to Core i5 and Core i7, it doesn't have turbo boost, so the practical turbo mode that provides for an automatic overclocking. This is in so much a pity, as many new games first really run smooth at about 2.40 GHz. At least the i3-330M has the hyperthreading technology that simulates two additional CPU cores. The advantage of this is still limited in games, but certain applications already have benefit largely from this function.]

source:notebookcheck

^ Catalyst is the driver support program of ATI. ATI releases new drivers through the catalyst program.

Now the thing with Sony is that Sony is not a partner of ATI while developing the drivers. Sony prefers to write its own drivers (which is more inclined towards power efficiency than performance). Hence vaio's cannot install the latest drivers and you lose out on performance.

Take the case of the latest catalyst release (10.3 a few days back). It gives an average performance increase of 5% in the latest games (compared to last driver). Sony vaio's have to live without these performance increments.

If the laptop is for general usage with casual gaming, the sony is great (but the while one looks really cheap.. IMO only). Else if it is hardcore gaming then you;re better off with the acer.

Now the problem, Acer 5740g is being discontinued (no more new stock is arriving acc. to dealers) and it is being replaced with 5741 with a slightly weaker nvidia graphics. What is now being sold in the ones in stock.

In a few days, this rivalry will finish... though not a fight to the finish.

Really?

Why the hell are they discontinuing a better product?

They could have introduced the higher i5/i7 with the same specs.

And if the new one has GT320m, then there is no fight about Catalyst driver as well.

New Dilemma -

Should I hurry and buy 5740G (which is being discontinued)?

or Sony EB16FG ?

or wait for 5741G?

VFM - Acer

Aesthetics - Sony Vaio

Performance - Acer (if hardcore gaming) else no real difference (normal usage+some gaming)

The solution (for normal usage) -

Visit any big store (Vijay Sales, Croma), put them side by side and the buy the one you feels looks best and performs best in a rapid 10 mins testing:eek:hyeah:

The Solution (for gaming) -

Go for the acer and you won't regret it. Will be able to run most games at med/high setting in native resolution.

The Solution (for DTP usage) -

Go for the vaio, greater resolution allows more text in the screen.

Finally the solution (for mobility) -

Acer has better battery life compared to Vaio (acc. to specs in website). Acer gives 3 hrs while surfing through wi-fi in power save mode and that's acceptable.

How much does the processor clock frequency make a difference for games like GTA4 (and will i3 be able to play the future gta5) , fifa'10, Need for speed shift etc ?

@Adnan87 If you don't install the turbo boost driver then the feature is not active. Just uninstall the driver and you just have a normal dual core HT processor. BTW why would you want to disable it??

Back