Storage Solutions poll: vote for the frequently crashed HDD

m0h1t said:
useless thread :|
/signed
Seagate acquired Maxtor a few years ago. Seagate and Western Digital both make quality drives, it is very much possible that a few of the lot fail at some point.

the poll is pointless. If Seagate and WD account for a larger percentage of HDDs in use today, it's natural that more of theirs will fail.

You are only considering the total no of failures not the failure rate

I have had 2 Maxtor HDDs die on me - both on separate occasions were fine at night and dead in the morning. :(

I think after Seagate bought over Maxtor their HDDs seem to have picked up the DEATH virus :)

I own a lot of Hitachi HDDs and have never had one die on me - no bad sectors ever. At the moment I must have around 15 Hitachi HDDs. I switched to WD only because of the price factor.

Maxtor drives crash for no apparent reason and usually run hotter than comparable drives from the competition. Heck, I've had to do a case mod job just to cool my Maxtor. Ever since Seagate bought Maxtor, I've tried to stay away from the two. Seagate used to be a good brand but as someone else mentioned, they seem to have caught the Maxcrap virus.

On the other hand, I've used 5 WD drives and 3 Samsung HDDs in the past 10 years and all have been extremely reliable. Heck, my 10K rpm Velociraptor runs cooler than the 7.2K rpm Maxtor drive mentioned above.

For laptops, I recommend Hitachi (HGST) over anything else primarily due to their very silent operation.

This is a useless poll cause you haven't mentioned other brands esp samsung which I have noticed lotsa failures with. And you don't have none option either.

Not everyone experiences hdd failures you know. :)

techie_007 said:
Highly skewed poll. Cos hard drives that are sold more will figure in the poll more. e.g. Seagate/WD.

+1

poll makes no sense.

hdd failures are dependent on many factors....apart from just the manufacturer....:no:

Back