port/download speed

speed4me

Disciple
hii 2 all members.
I've been usuing u-torrent for the past 6-7 months. Earlier i used to get a good download speed about 25-30kBps. My modem was beetel 100CX. Due to some problem in the modem i changed it and installed beetel 220BX. From here the problem started.... my u-torrent always shows a red sign saying "no incoming connections OR the port is not properly forwarded". I've configured my router and opened all ports(TCP) from 10000-60000( as u-torrent is connected above 10000). The network problem is solved and it shows a green light now. But now the speed is greatly reduced to 10-12kBps (even if there are more seeders).
I've disabled firewall.
I've airtel unlimited broadband connection (64-128kBps).
U-torrent 1.6.1
Ram: 632MB
HDD: 160GB
Intel Pentium 4 2.6GHz processor.
plz members kindly help me in this problem. My torrents are going very slow.

There is no way you can get a download speed of 25-30KB/s on a 128kbit connection. The max is 16. Looks like you somehow got 256kbit bandwidth earlier if you were getting 25-30KB/s speeds.

Its 64-128kBps(kilobyte). My friends in locality also have the same connection, they are getting 25-30kBps. BTW torrent speed is different from normal internet speed. My normal internet speed(download) is 10-12kBps

if its 64 kilobytes, you should be getting that as your download speed. dl speeds are usually measured in kilobytes per second while ISPs advertise internet connections as kilobits per second. 1 kilobyte = 8 kilobits. therefore on a 256kilobit connection (which most ISPs have) you will get 256/8 = 32 kilobytes per second as your maximum download speed. also torrent speeds shouldn't be any faster than your normal download speeds. in fact, most of the time they're slower due to poor seeds.

edit : you have airtel. all airtel plans are advertised in kilobits per second, not kilobytes.

i know they represent connection speed as kbps & not KBps.
Now regarding seeds.. i got today around 56kBps with 22 seeds... whereas for other torrent i'm getting 10kBps with 487 seeds. Ok according to my plan i'm getting 10-12kBps as downloading speed(no P2P sharing).
Torrent downloading is fast than normal download n it has nothing to do with the bandwidth provided by my ISP(Airtel). Downloading is faster b'cuz that particular seeder is responding to my request.:cool2:

Torrent downloading is fast than normal download n it has nothing to do with the bandwidth provided by my ISP(Airtel). Downloading is faster b'cuz that particular seeder is responding to my request.

Even if the seeder is seeding at 10Mbps (which is possible on private trackers), you can only download as per your ISP bandwidth thats alloted to you. Sometimes due to a misconfiguration, you might get spikes...but thats temporaray.

it looks like you and your friends somehow got lucky with a misconfiguration from the ISPs side as Kumar said. the rest of us on airtel do not get higher download speeds than our theoretical max (well 99% of the time), torrents or not. i'd say enjoy it while it lasts. this is probably not something you can even complain to the customer care about. in fact, that might run you the risk of getting all of your speeds capped to what you're supposed to get in the first place.

Get your old modem (100 CX) repaired if possible.....If you are actually getting the speeds that you said you are, just keep using the same dude....you're lucky....it's a strange thing but a friend of a friend of mine on an Airtel 64k also gets speeds upto 600k somehow (only with P2P) .

Back