Port Forwarding with EV-DO

aditya_1988

Disciple
Hey guys i tried asking this in some other threads but got no answers so decided to make a new thread for this.
I got a new BSNL EV-DO connection recently and i am not getting good d'load speed as the port is not being forwarded properly.
So does any body know how to do that or can any body please confirm wether it can be done or not in the first place.

Hi

q. Which city?

2. EVDO is a cell connection. So pl confirm if u r using a cll connection to surf

3. Pl describe ur setup & model no.

Also

1. Waht speed u r getting now?

2. How u r meauing speed? what sw? or website? ALso measure using a dialup or BB conenction with same sites & see the diff.

3. what modem u r using for EVDO? Pl give name & model no.

@asheet: EVDO uses CDMA technology and the CDMA towers, but you do not need a CDMA phone for getting the internet connection. All you get is a small USB modem, just like the ones advertised in Reliance Netconnect.

P.S: I have applied for the same yesterday (I'm from Indore), and hope to get the equipment in another 2 days... :D :D

hp-india said:
@asheet: EVDO uses CDMA technology and the CDMA towers, but you do not need a CDMA phone for getting the internet connection. All you get is a small USB modem, just like the ones advertised in Reliance Netconnect.

P.S: I have applied for the same yesterday (I'm from Indore), and hope to get the equipment in another 2 days... :D :D

Whats the cost like? what plan did ya go for?

hp-india said:

Thanks. I am aware of diff between CDMA & EVDO.
FYI, Only BSNL has launched EVDO services in some parts.
Reliance, Tata & Shayam Tele all have CDMA 1X NWs only. ALso an opeartor can launch 3G services (EVDO for CDMA Operators and WCDMA/UMTS for GSM operators) only after DoT auctions the spectrum for 3G. BSNL has a head start being incumbent Telco and wil be asked to pay the spectrum price as discovered by auction.

So if u buying modem from Tata or Reliance or any pvt cdma operator, u will get a 155kbps cell capacity which is shared by all users in a particlura cell radius. So if there are 10 CDMA 1x users in a Tata Cell site, each will get only abt 15 kbps. It will further fall if u cound the voice users as unlike GSM, in CDMA, each carreir is shared for voice & data whiel in GSM Voice and data carriers are separate.

rock_ya_baby said:
Whats the cost like? what plan did ya go for?

I opted for rented modem, rather than outright purchase, 'coz I wanted to try it first. And I opted for the EVDO plan with speeds upto 2.4mbps. Overall the cost came to Rs.2312/- that includes the first month charges of 550 and rental of 200.. From the next month on, I'll need to pay 550 + 200 + taxes..

Outright purchase costed Rs.2000 odd more.
144kbps plan was also available at a monthly charge of around 200.. not sure of the exact amount..!

hp-india said:
I opted for rented modem, rather than outright purchase, 'coz I wanted to try it first. And I opted for the EVDO plan with speeds upto 2.4mbps. Overall the cost came to Rs.2312/- that includes the first month charges of 550 and rental of 200.. From the next month on, I'll need to pay 550 + 200 + taxes..

Outright purchase costed Rs.2000 odd more.
144kbps plan was also available at a monthly charge of around 200.. not sure of the exact amount..!

If u have the offer broiucher, can u pl upload it on rapidshare & send me the link to study? Then I can guide u better

Port forwarding in BSNL is not possible ATM, as you aren't directly connected to internet.

Instead you are connected to a Proxy server on bsnl's network which has a private IP, in 10.xx.xx.xx range. that proxy server then connects to Internet Gateway aka National Internet Backbone. so as a result, proxy server blocks all incoming connections to it, except those coming from known ports like port 80,443 etc.

Every Proxy server has a unique Public IP address, and all subscribers connected to it will share that Public IP address.

Its entirely different from convention when every Subscriber has unique Public Ip address.

you can verify this thing in your connection properties:

1) Start > Run

2) Cmd

3) ipconfig /all

now note your IP address would in range of 10.xx.xx.xx which is a private IP.

usually we see a public ip here

^ Only EVDO. Dataone connections connect directly to the NIB giving you IP's in the range of 117.xxx.xxx.xxx (For NIB2, i.e.)

Gaurish said:
Port forwarding in BSNL is not possible ATM, as you aren't directly connected to internet.
Instead you are connected to a Proxy server on bsnl's network which has a private IP, in 10.xx.xx.xx range. that proxy server then connects to Internet Gateway aka National Internet Backbone. so as a result, proxy server blocks all incoming connections to it, except those coming from known ports like port 80,443 etc.

Every Proxy server has a unique Public IP address, and all subscribers connected to it will share that Public IP address.

Its entirely different from convention when every Subscriber has unique Public Ip address.

you can verify this thing in your connection properties:
1) Start > Run
2) Cmd
3) ipconfig /all

now note your IP address would in range of 10.xx.xx.xx which is a private IP.
usually we see a public ip here

Yeah i am getting that kind of IP address only
So at the moment i can't get good speed on my torrent downaloads!!:mad:

asheet said:
Also
1. Waht speed u r getting now?
2. How u r meauing speed? what sw? or website? ALso measure using a dialup or BB conenction with same sites & see the diff.
3. what modem u r using for EVDO? Pl give name & model no.
Speed as in download speed on torrents.On IDM i am getting download speed in excess of 50kbps constantly.
Its from a chinese company ZTE
Model no. AC8700

hey guys i am not bumping an older topic,but just to tellu port fprwarding now possible in evdo also.

As gaurish mentioned earlier we used to get ip in range 10.xx....

But now I am getting in range of 117.xx

Just checked utorrent now its is able to successfully portforward. :)

Man I remember my bsnl broadband through the phone line. I did vtrace on some CSS and TF2 servers and ping is all fine until in india 50-100 and reaches VSNL server in mumbai where just as it leaves country ping goes up to 300-400. I guess the NATIONAL INTERNET BACKBONE is broken. :p

sahilshah1987 said:
hey guys i am not bumping an older topic,but just to tellu port fprwarding now possible in evdo also.
As gaurish mentioned earlier we used to get ip in range 10.xx....
But now I am getting in range of 117.xx
Just checked utorrent now its is able to successfully portforward. :)

awesome news man.. repped.
can someone else also verify the same? and are u getting static ip or dynamic ones?

Thanks for the rep :D I checked ,getting dynamic ips just like wired ones..evdo is improving :eek:hyeah:

I have never regretted taking evdo, it has never let me down,its down time is lesser than even wired one atleast in my area.
Unlimited browsing, downloading speed always between 60-150 KBps awesome way better than 750 UL plan of wired one at least :p

Dude seriously this EVDO thing is ultimate if you are in the proper range of Tower....

However if you are a little away from the tower then the connection sucks big time...With frequnt connection losses....making the torrent download process seriously ****ed up.....

----------

However, for all the valuable information that you peoples have provided i will really thankyou.....

Dude seriously this EVDO thing is ultimate if you are in the proper range of Tower....:hap2:

However if you are a little away from the tower then the connection sucks big time...With frequnt connection losses....making the torrent download process seriously ****ed up.....:no:

Morover the plan is restricted to selected states only.....And then not all the BSNL towers are EVDO(which is actually a 3G network) enabled....So take care of that first ha....
----------:cool2:

However, for all the valuable information that you peoples have provided i will really thankyou.....:clap:

-----------------------------
I will add UP you people information following if in case you dont know

This plan has a speed of upto 2.4 Mbps,

The tarrif is...

There are two plans to choose from, one is by monthly rental basis and another is on-purchase. The cost of the device is 3,500 Rs. So if you purchase the device on rental, you don’t have to pay 3,500 Rs at the beginning and if you purchase the device for 3,500 Rs at the beginning, you don’t have to pay the rental. The table below will give you the clear picture of the tariff structure:

Network Type CDMA 1x EVDO
Speed 144 Kbps 2.4 Mbps
Bandwidth Unlimited Unlimited
On Rental 250 + 200 + Tax 550 + 200 + Tax
On Purchase 250 Rs 550 Rs
Before buying the device, ask your telephone exchange officers about the type of network available in your area. If your area has no EVDO network at the time of purchase, its better to opt for CDMA 1x network plan and later when they establish EVDO network, they will notify you via mail. Then you can get your device reconfigured for free at the local telephone exchange and start accessing the EVDO network.

himanshuaieee said:
Dude seriously this EVDO thing is ultimate if you are in the proper range of Tower....:hap2:

However if you are a little away from the tower then the connection sucks big time...With frequnt connection losses....making the torrent download process seriously ****ed up.....:no:

Morover the plan is restricted to selected states only.....And then not all the BSNL towers are EVDO(which is actually a 3G network) enabled....So take care of that first ha....
----------:cool2:

However, for all the valuable information that you peoples have provided i will really thankyou.....:clap:

-----------------------------
I will add UP you people information following if in case you dont know

This plan has a speed of upto 2.4 Mbps,

The tarrif is...

There are two plans to choose from, one is by monthly rental basis and another is on-purchase. The cost of the device is 3,500 Rs. So if you purchase the device on rental, you don’t have to pay 3,500 Rs at the beginning and if you purchase the device for 3,500 Rs at the beginning, you don’t have to pay the rental. The table below will give you the clear picture of the tariff structure:

Network Type CDMA 1x EVDO
Speed 144 Kbps 2.4 Mbps
Bandwidth Unlimited Unlimited
On Rental 250 + 200 + Tax 550 + 200 + Tax
On Purchase 250 Rs 550 Rs
Before buying the device, ask your telephone exchange officers about the type of network available in your area. If your area has no EVDO network at the time of purchase, its better to opt for CDMA 1x network plan and later when they establish EVDO network, they will notify you via mail. Then you can get your device reconfigured for free at the local telephone exchange and start accessing the EVDO network.

But, with EVDO the problem will be your upload speed...

EVDO Upload speed? - Wireless ISPs

Back