Audio Portable audio rig for basshead

evilwit

Disciple
Hey guys I want to buy a complete basshead portable audio rig which must include a music player,in-ear earphones and dap/amp.Being a basshead I need something which has no comprises in bass section.the bass should be tight and clear and mids and highs should be good too..The iems,amp and music player should be bassy in nature and all of the three components should support each other for full bassy experience.I would prefer combination of both amp/dac so that I can use it with my computer also.I listen to indian songs and few english songs which is mostly encoded in 320kbps but I have got few flacs too.I try to get flacs for indian songs as soon as its available.As you know english songs are easy to get in flac than hindi.My budget is 15000 strict.I need all three of components under this budget.I am getting a deal on headphonezone http://www.headphonezone.in/product...-x1-portable-music-player?variant=11801496519 which is under my budget and have all of the three components.But being a noob in audio I dont know if it will be good for me and i would definitely like save some bucks if possible if there's cheaper alternative available..One more request i would like you to prefer a pmp in which playlist can be made on the device itself.And kindly suggest a paid/free site from where i can download flacs for both indian(hindi/punjabi) and english songs.Thanks

Last edited:
The SE215 has a slightly muddy feel to it, I don't like it. There might not be a need for a AMP/DAC, if you just get a DAP that functions as a USB DAC, so that way your budget is split between only 2 items.

The SE215 has a slightly muddy feel to it, I don't like it. There might not be a need for a AMP/DAC, if you just get a DAP that functions as a USB DAC, so that way your budget is split between only 2 items.
Thanks for the reply.But I need a separate amp/dac combination for my mac and the rig.So that the AMP can power the headphones on my mac and the dap.And dac can provide clarity.So could you please suggest according to my needs?the iems,dap,dac/amp.And can i create a playlist on the x1 itself?i mean not by computer

Last edited:
Fiio E11k not a DAC but only a headphone amp,For DAC requirement you atleast need Fiio Q1 ....and on other hand X1 don't have DAC function like other two i,e X3 / X5.

AFAIK - with X1 - on device playlist creation is possible.
-----

My suggestion will be get Headphone / IEM first then DAP and later if budget permit get DAC / AMP if you required one.

There is also Fiio K1 coming - which will be cheapest DAC among all Fiio Offerings.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply mate.ya q1 would be a great option.its both an amp and dac which should solve my problem.otherwise there e07k also but its a bit pricier.but i dont think k1 would be powefull enough.and as far as playlist creation on x1 is concerned even i am not sure but i had a talk with headphonezone team today and they said it dint.they also suggested fiio m3 as its a cheaper option but i dont know the details of it like if its plays flac or not and also there's no review of it i could. As per HPZ team both x1 and m3 cant create playlist on them and both play flacs and they also praised the m3.but i dont that know that if i should go for the m3 because lack of evidences of its performances. so which dap would you guys recommend?Now coming to the earphones i was suggested sonyxb70ap and rha s500.which one will be better? or any other better alternative? and i have to have a amp/dac coz of my mac.usage of amp/dac with the rig will depend on requirement.if the dap itself is potent enough to power up the phones then its fine otherwise i will use it.

Last edited:
My Bad - I must be thinking it with another player / interface - Yes - not possible to create playlist on device....just checked it. Sorry for wrong info posted.

Been using X1 almost 6+ months now, never bothered to look beyond 'Browse Files' <- Folder Play option.

Again my apologies.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Correction Initiated for previous post.

Last edited:
On Paper both your mentioned IEM are just 16 ohm and X1 can drive them very easily.

For X1's Rated power is 16-100 ohm where as Fiio Q1 and E17k can drive 16-150 ohm ratings headphone - This same range of power also provided to Fiio X3 and X5 (2nd Gen) player.

At this point of time only Fiio E12 and E12A (IEM Edition) provided power 16-300 ohm, but again it is only a Amp not DAC.

My Suggestion will be if your IEM / Headphone belong from normal impudence or normal range (16-100 ohm) then you don't immediately need a AMP right now - but again it is also true even using amp with normal ratings headphone also ADD color in sound signature which improve overall performance.

If I'm in your position right now - I'll defiantly go with Fiio X3 2nd Gen which can use as DAP and DAC - one device for two purpose....and if I run out of my budget will wait couple month and later opt the IEM / Headphone or Do the vice versa.

For m3 you have to wait at least sometimes - the review will be pop up any day at 'Head-Fi' Forum by 'twister6'

On Paper both your mentioned IEM are just 16 ohm and X1 can drive them very easily.

For X1's Rated power is 16-100 ohm where as Fiio Q1 and E17k can drive 16-150 ohm ratings headphone - This same range of power also provided to Fiio X3 and X5 (2nd Gen) player.

At this point of time only Fiio E12 and E12A (IEM Edition) provided power 16-300 ohm, but again it is only a Amp not DAC.

My Suggestion will be if your IEM / Headphone belong from normal impudence or normal range (16-100 ohm) then you don't immediately need a AMP right now - but again it is also true even using amp with normal ratings headphone also ADD color in sound signature which improve overall performance.

If I'm in your position right now - I'll defiantly go with Fiio X3 2nd Gen which can use as DAP and DAC - one device for two purpose....and if I run out of my budget will wait couple month and later opt the IEM / Headphone or Do the vice versa.

For m3 you have to wait at least sometimes - the review will be pop up any day at 'Head-Fi' Forum by 'twister6'
Thanks for the reply.I understand the point.But I have a plan in my mind.Right now I own an iPod touch 4G.I don't know its driving ability so you have to help me with that.I could that use as a test machine.So first I will have to buy the earphones and then I will check it on my ipod and if it sounds good without any amp then i have a plan ahead.
PLAN 1:if the driving ablity of ipod 4g and ipod nano 7g matches andthen i will use the bought earphones with nano.nano is retailing for 10.5k and rest 4k i can spend on the earphones.in that i can also make playlist on the go.But if the output is not good enough i can also sell that ipod 4g and get a q1.
PLAN 2:second option is if i feel that making playlist on the mac is not that trouble some i will go for x1/iems/q1

So you to help me with
which iems under 4k?
driving ability of ipod touch 4g and nano 7g
and as you are a user of x1 how do you make playlist making easy on x1.how do you manage all this playlist stuff.
and hows the sq of nano?

Last edited:
Well......Now I understand why playlist is so important for you....For iDevice it is very important to have playlist creation otherwise it won't play,but here in Fiio X1 it is not.

About 6 months of usage I never create any playlist - I just play from folder which is a particular album - just like we do in our computer with normal player other than iTunes...and I believe at least 90% people who own player like Fiio and Xduoo only care about Folder Play which iDevice strictly restricted.
To Load your music into this kind of player just Drag-n-Drop....and you are ready to play.

Majority of people who want to get player like these (Fiio / XDuoo) have Large Quantity of High Res Audio Files (and that too un manged ) at their disposal and don't care much about playlist,just want to play each and every format (available under the sun) on the Go.

After reading your above post - I feel you may disappointed after buying the X1 - These player don't offer any bling iPod does and defiantly not a looker.
(Previous Nano Owner long time ago and currently own only iPad 4 with mere less than 100 songs at iTunes India Library)

--------------
Sorry don't know much about current Bass oriented IEM - Used to own Brainwave M2 earlier days.

I'm not a Bass head anymore but some times I need Bass - To get that I Bought Audio Technica ATH-IM70 and it satisfied my needs - It is BA IEM.
For you I defiantly recommended it's little brother ATH-IM50 - which people say comes with Sub Woofer inbuilt (Theoretically Though).

Retailing nearly at 4k+ - I believe you don't need anything else after these for your Bass need - but again it is not a normal dynamic IEM and most important part is fittings (comfort) with your ear canal....everything depends on that.
---------------

For your IEM query wait some other member to response...

Dude since you are are a senior member and experienced in this section so kindly pour in your suggestion.

Well......Now I understand why playlist is so important for you....For iDevice it is very important to have playlist creation otherwise it won't play,but here in Fiio X1 it is not.

About 6 months of usage I never create any playlist - I just play from folder which is a particular album - just like we do in our computer with normal player other than iTunes...and I believe at least 90% people who own player like Fiio and Xduoo only care about Folder Play which iDevice strictly restricted.
To Load your music into this kind of player just Drag-n-Drop....and you are ready to play.

Majority of people who want to get player like these (Fiio / XDuoo) have Large Quantity of High Res Audio Files (and that too un manged ) at their disposal and don't care much about playlist,just want to play each and every format (available under the sun) on the Go.

After reading your above post - I feel you may disappointed after buying the X1 - These player don't offer any bling iPod does and defiantly not a looker.
(Previous Nano Owner long time ago and currently own only iPad 4 with mere less than 100 songs at iTunes India Library)

--------------
Sorry don't know much about current Bass oriented IEM - Used to own Brainwave M2 earlier days.

I'm not a Bass head anymore but some times I need Bass - To get that I Bought Audio Technica ATH-IM70 and it satisfied my needs - It is BA IEM.
For you I defiantly recommended it's little brother ATH-IM50 - which people say comes with Sub Woofer inbuilt (Theoretically Though).

Retailing nearly at 4k+ - I believe you don't need anything else after these for your Bass need - but again it is not a normal dynamic IEM and most important part is fittings (comfort) with your ear canal....everything depends on that.
---------------

For your IEM query wait some other member to response...
When you used M2 how well did you find it?even i was recommended m2 by someone.

I like the clarity and the soundstage on the shure se215. that said, since you are a basshead, why not get a Fiio E17 which works as a dac/amp and use it to crank up the bass. You'll get good clarity, soundstage and more than enough bass. Also it will work with any source since the E17 takes in stereo and usb input among others.

Hey i just ordered a m2 brainwavz from mp4nation.net and they marked the value at 20$ and it as a sample.while the actual value of product is 44$.So what are the chances of me being charged no duties and if they charge it,how much would it be keeping in mind that they have shown lesser value and marked it as a gift.they shipped it through fedex.

Sorry I misread your previous statement, what I meant was you'll either end up paying nothing or the total cost would be more than what it would've cost you if you had bought it locally.
It's the reason I stopped ordering from offshore merchants since it completely depends on luck, in my case a lot of times the duty was incorrectly calculated and on the higher side. Plus you can't deal with em face to face unless you're in Mumbai.
As for mp4nation there was a sale a few years back on their site and a ton of people from here ordered stuff, the guys who initially received their packages including me didn't have to pay anything, some of the later ones weren't so lucky.

Sorry I misread your previous statement, what I meant was you'll either end up paying nothing or the total cost would be more than what it would've cost you if you had bought it locally.
It's the reason I stopped ordering from offshore merchants since it completely depends on luck, in my case a lot of times the duty was incorrectly calculated and on the higher side. Plus you can't deal with em face to face unless you're in Mumbai.
As for mp4nation there was a sale a few years back on their site and a ton of people from here ordered stuff, the guys who initially received their packages including me didn't have to pay anything, some of the later ones weren't so lucky.
So do you know how much do i have to pay including penalty if it get's caught?

It's around 25% of product value.
Thats around 800 bucks.But i wanna ask one thing at the checkout i opted for free fedex priority shipping and they gave me tracking number of ezyparcels/quantium.So hows it possible?and in fedex it is also possible to fiddle with the value of the product and mark them as a gift even if its not?

Back