Portable SSD with inbuilt wifi/wireless capabilities

montsa007

Adept
Hi,

Looking to buy a portable SSD for store work related stuff.
Is there something like a cloud/wifi SSD drive available in India yet?
Don't want to buy a NAS drive as it'll need different format & if I have to connect the SSD to laptop it'll say format is different.

Budget is around 7K, can extend based on the product.

Jio Fiber router
Most likely it doesn't.

I don't know of any SSD which comes with inbuilt WiFi.

The solution which I can think of is to get a router with USB File sharing (~₹2000), attach a SSD (500GB, ~₹6000) via SATA to USB converter/SSD enclosure (~₹500), disable the router's wifi and connect the router to LAN port of Jio Router

Others might have better solution.

Last edited:
Most likely it doesn't.

The solution which I can think of is to get a router with USB File sharing (~₹2000), attach a SSD (500GB, ~₹6000) via SATA to USB converter/SSD enclosure (~₹500), disable the router's wifi and connect the router to LAN port of Jio Router

+1 , simple and quick

Else, build/get a NAS.

Most likely it doesn't.

Too much hardware, I do not have that much space to be honest near the router, a standalone SSD with inbuilt wifi will be better.
I don't want to depend on HDD setup as too much data is at stake.

Something like this?

Not sure if these are available in India.
Try contacting the manufacturer's India email/number if they have them.
Had seen that Sandisk Wireless stick on Flipkart, but the storage capacity is an issue.
Other devices price is killing it...
Will keep an eye for such stuff

Hi,

Looking to buy a portable SSD for store work related stuff.
Is there something like a cloud/wifi SSD drive available in India yet?
Don't want to buy a NAS drive as it'll need different format & if I have to connect the SSD to laptop it'll say format is different.

Budget is around 7K, can extend based on the product.
Wired will be much faster. 50x ? More secure too.

Some reviews I saw showed the san disk extreme works faster than the equivalent Samsung SSD's

Your budget is barely enough to fit a portable SSD itself, let alone one with built on wi-fi. It's a niche product you're looking for, and niche products are generally expensive.

Getting a router, as suggested by @john1911 is the easiest and cheapest solution. This is a portable router from TP-Link which can be powered from any USB port using a micro USB cable: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01N5RCZQH/

Last edited:
Wired will be much faster. 50x ? More secure too.

Some reviews I saw showed the san disk extreme works faster than the equivalent Samsung SSD's
I had this disk in mind for a wired setup

Actually the issue is the data will be accessed in 2 systems, will check if it can be done in 1 system, will have to fall back for a wired SSD if the plan works out.

Back