Monitors Possible to bring 19" LCD from the US??

My cousins' coming from the US next month or so..
Uh, Would it be possible to bring a 19" LCD with him .. without attracting customs on it? He'd have to throw away the box and snug it in his big suitcase .. That's okay with me. But will the 19" fit into the suitcase at all?
Tempted coz' the prices there are half the ones here ...:eek:hyeah:

Get it in the box and carry the bill with u... shouldn't be a problem. I got my Dell 2005 FPW and a friend got a 2405 FPW without much hassle and without paying any duty :p.

I brought my Monitor in as a Laptop (In my Hand, in a Laptop carry case). Was heavy to carry. But blah. It was a crazy deal at that time :p.

No issues. They though it was a Touch screen lappie :rofl:...

u are allowed to get electronics worth rs.25000/-

so get it with bill. u will zero problems. if they ask u about it. just show them the bill & they will let u go.

i got my vx2025 the same way.

also carry it in the original package. u will not face any problems.

stormblast said:
u are allowed to get electronics worth rs.25000/-

so get it with bill. u will zero problems. if they ask u about it. just show them the bill & they will let u go.

i got my vx2025 the same way.

also carry it in the original package. u will not face any problems.
Do they cross-check with the Indian prices (for 19" LCDs ~12k)?? Or the price printed on bill (in USD)?
And, btw the product might be bought online .. so is that valid?

Uh.. Nobody answered my basic query ..
Is it difficult to bring/carry the LCD? Would it be too hefty on him?
He might carry 2 other suitcases too ..

^^DUH !!!

We Dont know how big the guy is and how much is his carrying capacity ?

U cud check the total weight out on the website and ask the guy if he can manage with that much weight and his suitcases or not ?

There's serious chance of damage if u put the lcd in a suitcase. On the other hand, if u get it in the original packaging with lots of fragile stickers stuck on the sides, it should be just fine. Take my word for it... get it in the original packaging.

@Chaos ...this one is for you .....

Is there an issues with monitors and such stuff bought from USA regarding the voltage difference between USA and India ? Or do all the equipment supplied in USA have universal voltage capability ?

=CrAzYG33K= said:
He'd have to throw away the box and snug it in his big suitcase .. That's okay with me. But will the 19" fit into the suitcase at all? Tempted coz' the prices there are half the ones here ...:eek:hyeah:

If you put it in a suitcase, there is a chance that the display may arrive in two halves. Its best to carry it in the original packaging as the others suggested.

Eazy said:
@Chaos ...this one is for you .....

Is there an issues with monitors and such stuff bought from USA regarding the voltage difference between USA and India ? Or do all the equipment supplied in USA have universal voltage capability ?

My dell display supports both 110 and 220V. Stuff with power adapters like external sound cards would probably need a new wall wart. My M-Audio Audiophile which I had briefly needed a new 220V wallwart.

akshitmohan said:
Suppose I order a 22 incher of newegg, get it with me, check it in, carry a bill for $300. Will it be a problem ?

wont be any problem at all cause as i already mentioned u can get electronics worth rs.25000

even if u dont have bill which i dint have many times when ive ordered online. i just carry it & tell them the price & they just let me go.

u should get it in the original packaging. as chaos said put fragile stickers on it & check it in with your bag.

Chaos said:
My dell display supports both 110 and 220V. Stuff with power adapters like external sound cards would probably need a new wall wart. My M-Audio Audiophile which I had briefly needed a new 220V wallwart.

Thanks for the reply...

Was the Dell bought in USA ? Seems odd that they would make it 110/220 when it is for sale in USA. Unless it is an export model.

I have always wondered how many people have blown electronics stuff by plugging in 110v equipment into our 220v lines :)

I found a shop in Lamington road who specialize in rewinding adapters/transformers made for 110v lines to work on our 220v supply.... the name of the place is ... get this.... DISCO WINDER :eek:hyeah: .... with a name like this you would expect the owner to be a person like Mithun Chakraborty (spelling) - but the owner is a staid old Parsi man who wears plain white cotton shirts and pants ....I got a few Panasonic phones adapters redone by them - decent job.

Eazy said:
Thanks for the reply...

Was the Dell bought in USA ? Seems odd that they would make it 110/220 when it is for sale in USA. Unless it is an export model.

I have always wondered how many people have blown electronics stuff by plugging in 110v equipment into our 220v lines :)

I found a shop in Lamington road who specialize in rewinding adapters/transformers made for 110v lines to work on our 220v supply.... the name of the place is ... get this.... DISCO WINDER :eek:hyeah: .... with a name like this you would expect the owner to be a person like Mithun Chakraborty (spelling) - but the owner is a staid old Parsi man who wears plain white cotton shirts and pants ....I got a few Panasonic phones adapters redone by them - decent job.
:clap: :clap: u find Amzing Stuff @ Galli' & corners of Lammy road :hap2:

Well done !!!!

Chief-Techie said:
u find Amzing Stuff @ Galli' & corners of Lammy road

I have been going there since 1983 .... walking up and down all the streets and gullies ...so no biggie ...
alligator_walking2.gif

Back