CPU/Mobo Possible to repair Mobo or get new Proccy+Mobo

moshel

Adept
Hi

I have a Asus P5Q motherboard with Intel E4400 processor. Since quite sometime there is a problem in the motherboard, had also given it for repairing but the problem still persists.

The thing is that there is some kind of loose connection in the large 24 pin socket that connects from the SMPS to motherboard. while working the computer arbitarily switches off like there is no power. Then i just move/touch the 24 pin socket cable and the computer starts up again. Checked with a different SMPS too. Turns out the problem is with the connector on the motherboard.

Please let me know if this thing is repairable (preferably) or if I will need to change the configuration.

In case change is required, please suggest:

Option 1: Keep the processor, change the mobo - For a replacement mobo I am looking for P45 chipset only, unfortunately it is probably no longer available. Is there a higher grade chipset mobo available that will work with my current config?

Option 2: Change the proccy, mobo, ram (DDR3), cabinet..........I have rest of the things (see config below)...budget 8k, can stretch till 10k.

usage: I don't game too much as before on the computer (have ps3), but I like to play it safe. As long as all games work on my PC, I am happy. even if it is on lowest setting. Lately, I use my PC for games like Simcity other than using it for internet.

Current config:
Mobo: P5Q
Proccessor: C2D E4400
Ram: 1 GB + 2 GB DDR2
HDD: 250 GB x 1 + 500 GB x 1
Graphics card: Asus 630
SMPS: VIP 500W
Monitor: Samsung (1920 x 1080)

One last question, If I go with option 2, will I have to reinstall Windows?

Last edited:
You can first try to see if this thing have a permanent fix. Since LGA775 is EOL for like 4 years now, support for new mobo will be questionable. Even if you are able to find used one it will be couple of years old. However it would save you for sometime at little cost.

Answer to your last question is Yes, it is better to install windows again.

Your config is ages old now.
Repairing or obtaining a used 775 mobo wont help in the long run as it gonna fail as well someday or the other.
Best bet will be to upgrade! Sell all the good stuff here on TE and buy a newer config which fits in your budget.

Last edited:
Here's a list of supported chipsets i copied off wikipedia;
Intel from i845 to 4X chipset,
i845GV/GE/i848P/i865G/GV/P/PE/i910GL/i915G/GL/GV/P/PL/i925X/XE/i945/955/i945G/P/ i955X/i946/946GZ/PL/965/i975/Q965/P965/G965/Q963/i975X/ X35/P35/Q35/G35/P33/G33/Q33/P31/G31/X38/X48/P45/P43/G45/G43/G41/B43/Q43/Q45,
all support LGA 775.

If budget is a concern right now then get a used board and save up for a proper cpu+mobo upgrade later.
DDR3 ram need not be replaced.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

There is a possibility that I might get a brand new (with warranty) mobo of G31/G41 chipset. Don't know the board model or brand as yet. But I am afraid that this might make my computer even slower than it is right now. Hence, not in favor of this option. Am I right in thinking this? is G31/G41 chipset inferior to P45?

I have almost decided to look to buy a new configuration....CPU, Mobo, Ram, cabinet only. And maybe even a SSD specially for the windows install.

I'll put up a separate thread in the other section with relevant details.

Thanks everyone for the help.

G41 will not slow down your processor or RAM. May be it will be cut on some features and ports here and there.

To have a new config with SSD, I guess you need to splurge around ₹18,000.

I upgraded my PC(from quad core to below after my Mobo went kaput) almost 1.5 years back..

http://www.flipkart.com/msi-h61m-p2...teraccessory_processor_&ppid=PSRDPU9FSEBNGYGJ
(this mobo does not have IDE port + extra PCI slots. You need to check what you need).
http://www.flipkart.com/intel-3-ghz-lga-1155-g2030-processor/p/itmdpu9fcxzmkc5e?pid=PSRDPU9FSEBNGYGJ&srno=b_5&al=+Qmz+id1o0/9uoNZ4sE6mIFk3FCjVTObQe9iRcbUj2B4gg+Z/TZ5pIaLq2lx4bRfFLwHQxVDMNU=&ref=5fc418ae-0695-41e2-bec2-43e8a2413189
(mine was G2020)
http://www.flipkart.com/transcend-ddr3-1333-ddr3-4-gb-pc-dram-jm1333kln-4g/p/itmd2rypzczsv8e7?pid=RAMD2RYPSWYFFUSM&otracker=from-search&srno=t_3&query=4 gb ddr3 ram&al=rATEWVQPQbR8pjf+W8UlCAMWnSNp+G3uH7ltK3sHvbBDQfEe74OeEIaLq2lx4bRfFLwHQxVDMNU=&ref=51a7218a-75c1-47e3-9622-940bd50cdbbc
(mine was 4 GB Gskill)
Total cost - 3.7k + 2.7k + 2.3k = 8.7k(current price, that time it was cheaper).

SSD as well - 3.4k that time for 60GB
Rest I had old crossair smps + old gfx card + sound card + TV tuner + cabinet.

I have original win 7 installed since then, I don't play much games except TF2 + CSS. Its good performance wise + for palying hd videos etc. Boot time is super fast due to SSD. Didn't have to do any defrag or reinstall as its performance is still good. Offcourse this config is not for heavy games, but for everything else its good.

Instead of new cabinet, get a good smps, old cabinet or not doesn't matter. Nor the extra fans etc if the CPU config is low.

recently got an extra SSD from this guy below -
http://www.ebay.in/itm/INTEL-SSD-80...5?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item3cf656c24f

I talked to him before ordering, and got a SSD with 98% life remaining. for 1.3k after ebay coupon and paytm cashback.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion foruamit2004. Am going the same route as you did. As for the cabinet, mine is broken. Front ports don't work and few other things too. But I asked around and a new one from zebronics will be 1k. So no big deal.

Would like to update to everyone that the problem in my mobo is resolved now.

I gave the computer to another fellow as a last effort and he probably did something or not (which I don't know) but at his place it was working fine. When I got it back to my house again it had the same problem.

So we tried removing the HDD one by one and then the ram. Finally, we found out that the 2 Ram sticks which I had put in dual channel mode was creating the issue.

My mobo has 4 slots for Ram. Two yellow colored and two black colored. In order to put the ram in dual channel mode both the ram sticks should be in either yellow or black slots. It turns out that was the problem actually. When I put the rams in different colored slots, it's working fine.

Never even thought that this would be causing the issue. But in any case issue resolved and money saved!

Thanks for the help!

Back