Video Possible to use external TV tuner with Tata Sky ?

idea

Adept
EXTERNAL TV TUNER WITH TATA SKY

I dont have regular TV . I use 24' monitor with external LCD USB TV tuner (CADMEI BRAND) as TV with REGULAR Cable.

Now i want to opt for TATA SKY/DISH TV . But somebody told my i CANT use my existing EXTERNAL TV TUNER WITH TATA SKY as my tuner is ANALOG and CANT HANDLE digital signals by tata SKY or other DISH PROVIDERS. is it TRUE???
What is solution on this as need to go with other DISH PROVIDERS as local cablewala is useless and i cant go in for new TV as i have recently baught 24' monitor...
SO WILL THIS PRODUCT let me use my EXISTING Monitor as TV with DIGITAL input from DISH PROVIDERS.???
eBay India: Tech-Com LCD TFT TV TUNER 1680x1050 HD Ready NO-VAT (item 280295395847 end time 24-Dec-2008 17:41:17 IST)

or i can use my existing tuner with dish??

yup u can use it iff has a Component IN or S-Video,btb @idea u have posted is in the wrong place and please do not write in upper case it means you are shouting @ mods please move to correct sub forum

metalspree said:
yup u can use it iff has a Component IN or S-Video,btb @idea u have posted is in the wrong place and please do not write in upper case it means you are shouting @ mods please move to correct sub forum

Err.. apology for that .. though was quite aware of the same ... just wanted to highlight imp words...

Thanks for revert.

Svideo ..Hmmm:( ... i think it is there... here are pics of back of my tuner.. it also has some attachments which lets me attach 3RC(Yeloow Red White) to it. there is also one 9 pin plug.... :S

is it the same we are talking about or i have to buy new one as mentioned in

above link...?

The Black DIN connector is S-video.

The Yellow RCA connector is Composite video. White/Red is for the Left/Right audio channels.

In terms of picture quality S-video > Composite.

BTW the digital signal is only upto your set-top/DTH box. The box decrypts and decodes the digital stream, and the output is either analog like Composite/S-Video/Component/VGA and/or digital like DVI/HDMI.

Edit: Oops, the output from your DTH box will be S-video/Composite.. which means either your monitor or the TV tuner box needs to have an S-video/composite input. I think what you've shown in the image are outputs. It looks like the only input your TV tuner box supports is a coax TV input.

Which LCD screen do you have?

Crazy_Eddy said:
The Black DIN connector is S-video.

The Yellow RCA connector is Composite video. White/Red is for the Left/Right audio channels.

Most TVs have atleast the Composite video input, and if its fairly recent will even have the S-video input. In terms of picture quality S-video > Composite.

BTW the digital signal is only upto your set-top/DTH box. The box decrypts and decodes the digital stream, and the output is either analog like Composite/S-Video/Component/VGA and/or digital like DVI/HDMI.

Edit: Oops, the output from your DTH box will be S-video/Composite.. which means either your monitor or the TV tuner box needs to have an S-video/composite input. I think what you've shown in the image are outputs. It looks like the only input your TV tuner box supports is a coax TV input.

Which LCD screen do you have?

it is dell 24". So does that mean i need to buy a new Tuner if i want to opt for DTH Box? i think all those cables are for i/p ...but not sure... as never used it.. Also there is one round connector on extreme right...as seen in pic...

Also this link.... says tuner they are selling is HD compatible... etc...

eBay India: Tech-Com LCD TFT TV TUNER 1680x1050 HD Ready NO-VAT (item 280295395847 end time 24-Dec-2008 17:41:17 IST)

i really wonder how it is different from my existing tuner.... other than resolution stuff..

^ Its not really different from yours. The HD resolution support is probably just an inbuilt scaler, and largely pointless.

Could you specify the exact model your 24" Dell is ?

*Slaps forehead*

My sincere apologies for causing the confusion :ashamed:

Those look like inputs on your TV tuner after all ! So yes, your existing TV Tuner box should do just fine :)

Crazy_Eddy said:
*Slaps forehead*
My sincere apologies for causing the confusion :ashamed:

Those look like inputs on your TV tuner after all ! So yes, your existing TV Tuner box should do just fine :)

Very Happy to know that ...:hap2: :hap2: Thanks ..

H@cKer said:
dude u need to get one of these cables

9_Pin_S_Video_TV_to_RCA_Converter_AV_Cable_Adapter.jpg

the dth connection goes via this cable
Thanks for i/p. I already got some llok a like cable ...i think this will do the trick ...

Now major problem is Which DTH to opt for .... ?? :( recently SUN DTH ...is giving away all installation with 6 mnoth subscri .. for Rs 500/- .... i dont know if it is there in pune?

or Tata/airtel/reliace/dish which one is better..???

^^ No , Sun DTH gives 5 months subscription for 500 and installation charges are 1k more

I use Tata and it is good , only problem is a little lag while changing channels , BigTV has good picture quality but bad support , airtel is also good

idea said:
Very Happy to know that ...:hap2: :hap2: Thanks ..
Thanks for i/p. I already got some llok a like cable ...i think this will do the trick ...

Now major problem is Which DTH to opt for .... ?? :( recently SUN DTH ...is giving away all installation with 6 mnoth subscri .. for Rs 500/- .... i dont know if it is there in pune?

or Tata/airtel/reliace/dish which one is better..???

yup 1k extra:mad: for installation dude for sun dth

mate... plz share your setup... i mean what cable you purchased and how you made connections. if possible please submit pics

i have 22 dell with DVI only. so thinking of buying external TV card.
please tell me which one to buy as you might have done some R&D on it.

avi_avadhut said:
mate... plz share your setup... i mean what cable you purchased and how you made connections. if possible please submit pics

i have 22 dell with DVI only. so thinking of buying external TV card.
please tell me which one to buy as you might have done some R&D on it.

apology for late revert.

I do have one UMAX tuner lying with me. It is for LCD and works fine with DTH. So let me know if you need it ... but need to chk . as you have DVI i/p only ..

avi_avadhut said:
what is the resolution it supports ?
coz i saw one which gives 1680 x 1050.
what is yours ?

Currently i am using 1024x768 @ 75Mhz.

Trust me .. it rocks... no issues at all...:eek:hyeah: pic quality is great ..

Back