Monitors Possible to use LCD monitor as TV?

Hey guys...I was planning to buy a gaming console along with an LCD or LED monitor, but I am pretty tight on budget and space. Wanted to know if its possible to use the monitor as a TV, for both console gaming and watching TV channels? This way I could get rid of my current TV and utilize the same space for the monitor and the console...

If the monitor has an HDMI input, plug the HDMI cable from the console to the monitor. If it has a DVI port, use a HDMI to DVI converter or cable. If it has a display port, get a HDMI to a display port converter/cable.

As for watching TV channels, what would be the input type? Component video/composite video/HDMI from the STB etc.

Get a good quality monitor... like Dell U2311, 2411, 2711...
If you have normal cable connection, use an external TV tuner card. And if you have a STP use the HDMI cable directly...

TVs are not optimized for close quarter viewing, have lower resolution and contain unnecessary baggage..

Desecrator said:
As for watching TV channels, what would be the input type? Component video/composite video/HDMI from the STB etc.

Have a normal cable connection...
otherneo said:
Get a good quality monitor... like Dell U2311, 2411, 2711...

If you have normal cable connection, use an external TV tuner card.

Does external TV tuner have option of auto/manual scan? And how many channels can it store? Anything on the negative side that I should be aware of?

You will need a External TV Tuner with VGA out or composite out (if your LCD has a composite input such as Dell U2410, U2407, U2408 etc) if you decide to hook the cable from the TV operator/STB to it. AFAIK most TV tuners let you do a manual scan and assign specific channels through the utility bundled with it.

Desecrator said:
AFAIK most TV tuners let you do a manual scan and assign specific channels through the utility bundled with it.

By 'utility bundled with it' do you mean some sort of software or what?
rahul30 said:
buy the samsung lcd tv cum monitor . Its MRP is 16000 but you can easily get it around 14,800. Multi Function Monitor - P2370MS - Desktop Monitior - Monitor | SAMSUNG

For LED monitors, I doubt you will get component , you can have a look at Benq V2420H .

The Samsung monitor does look good ad has a lot of connectivity options too...I think I did see some Tv tuner with VGA output, but which one gives better quality? VGA or Component?

harish_21_10 said:
By 'utility bundled with it' do you mean some sort of software or what?
Precisely! And that Samsung monitor (?) looks good too. A lot of connectivity options included. You should be looking at that IMO.

harish_21_10 said:
Does external TV tuner have option of auto/manual scan? And how many channels can it store? Anything on the negative side that I should be aware of?
Look around for some TV tuner cards, you will come to know about all these details...
The best external TV tuner cards is HD STB (Tatasky HD, Airtel HD, Big TV HD, Dish TV HD)... These give you the best resolution of 1920x1080... very few external tv tuner cards do this, most give you signal of 320x240...

rahul30 said:
buy the samsung lcd tv cum monitor . Its MRP is 16000 but you can easily get it around 14,800. Multi Function Monitor - P2370MS - Desktop Monitior - Monitor | SAMSUNG
It is a Monitor not a TV, a TV has to have TV tuner card, remote control, and sound system...

rahul30 said:
For LED monitors, I doubt you will get component , you can have a look at Benq V2420H .
For external TV tuner cards one does not need composite / component connector as all TV Tuner cards come with VGA

TataSky, Airtel, BigTv, etc. will surely be a better option but then the monthly packages that they have can seem kinda expensive sometimes. Wont really know until I try it myself.

Anyone used the Samsung P2370MS monitor? How good are the speakers on it?

Hey Guys, I have bought Samsung P2370MS Monitor and along with it I've got Tata Sky STB. How do it connect them: Can I connect them using 3 pin RGB Connector. Or will I have to purchase a TV-Out to HDMi Converter. Can anyone plz help me out.

^Your Tata STB should have either component video out (Y, PB, Pr. i.e. the red, blue, green RCA sockets) or the composite video (a yellow socket). You will need 3 RCA cables for the former and 1 for the latter, to enable connectivity between the STB and the monitor. Select the input from the LCD and you are good to go.

arnov said:
Hey Guys, I have bought Samsung P2370MS Monitor and along with it I've got Tata Sky STB. How do it connect them: Can I connect them using 3 pin RGB Connector. Or will I have to purchase a TV-Out to HDMi Converter. Can anyone plz help me out.

Congrats for the buy mate...do drop in your views about the monitor.

My friend bought 22" Samsung LCD monitor for 8K and external TV tuner Card for 1.4K and Altec Lansing speakers for 4k. The LCD monitor doubles up as his TV, he says the setup is really better and cheaper than normal LCD TVs and the clarity is amazing. He uses regular cable tv. I hope this info helps you.

arnov said:
Hey,

Howz this monitor? Is good as a TV and a Monitor? Please any inputs or comments appreciated. Thinking of buying it...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

sugat123 said:
My friend bought 22" Samsung LCD monitor for 8K and external TV tuner Card for 1.4K and Altec Lansing speakers for 4k. The LCD monitor doubles up as his TV, he says the setup is really better and cheaper than normal LCD TVs and the clarity is amazing. He uses regular cable tv. I hope this info helps you.
Which External TV Tuner did he get? I'll be using Local Cable and now Dish TV as my society doesn't allow it. Any comments/tips would be appreciated.

Back