Budget 31-40k Possible Upgrade from i7-6700K

Right then, I planned to upgrade my system next year. But recent policy of govt. is bothering me, a lot. So I guess I will just forward my plans and upgrade now.

My present system is the following: 6700K — Z170 Motherboard — GTX 970 — 8x2 GB DDR RAM — TX650M — 1920x1200 monitor (planned to upgrade next year or the year after). Using this system from 2016.

Usage: Gaming 70%, Video editing 25%, Normal browisng/movie etc. 5%. Gaming means single players like GTA, Tomb Raider, Far Cry, Assassins Creed, CoD, BF etc. Usually like to max out, but I have adapted to mid-high too. For gaming, I must say, per core performance is equally important as multi core. In that regard, Intel still outperforms AMD? I know AMD is all the craze now, but I have never had one, and I am unsure about their longevity. Last thing I would like is a processor fail on me, no clue how that experience is!

Pls advise what would be a significant upgrade from this system. Would plan to keep this for at least five years. No hot, or power hungry CPU, please, cannot stand them. The budget of 30k I chose is for CPU and Motherboard only. I will upgrade GPU later (eyeing a 4060 when prices settles a bit more, or maybe a 3060 ti even if someone sells cheap). And I am assuming I can carry forward my RAM to the next system as they are DDR4 type, or new DDR5 required?

Thanks in advance as always.

I upgraded from an i7 7700 to an i5 12500. It's only slightly better than 12400 but I got it for 12k (OEM used). I feel like it was a massive upgrade to gaming because 7700 bottlenecked 2070S in almost all AAA games.

Processors are far more robust than what you think of them. I think you should try AMD, Why be fearful? For your usecase 5600 or 5800 should suffice and won't even break the bank.

An upgrade to Ryzen 7600 would be a great upgrade. The processor motherboard combo will come around 32k. However, it is DDR5 only, so you'll have to get RAM as well. The AM5 platform will leave scope for future processor upgrades without changing the motherboard.

Another option will be to upgrade to i5 13400, which would cost ~34k for processor motherboard combo, but you'll be able to use your DDR4 RAM with it. This will not have scope for further upgrades. An upgrade to gen 14 will require new motherboard and possibly RAM as well.

For RAM,
I'll say you can stick with DDR4 unless you invest in a cpu+mobo which supports DDR5.
But for long term usage, in your case 5 years, you do need to increase your capacity to atleast 32/64, reason being both OSes and Software are becoming more and more resource intensive.
I have no inputs on the cpu though, so I guess I'll read what others have to say.

Thanks all. So options are 7600 and 12500 and 13400 as per your suggestions. Well the first two are 6C/12T options and last 10C/16T, so I guess for future proofing (if theres any such thing) the 13400 would be better. MD is selling 13400F for 18k. Only difference bw F and non-F is lack of integrated gpu on the F right?
I just checked the DDR5 RAM prices and its not too high. So I guess I can upgrade the RAM too.
PS: I am not so sure about the 9900K. I mean given that its an older gen, and modified socket? Not sure what that is! But that would have been the least expensive upgrade

Back