Postpaid connection: Airtel or Vodafone???

rbkumaran

Recruit
Hi
I am planning to change my airtel prepaid connection to a postpaid one.
Just want some feedback on which one is better when it comes to postpaid - airtel or vodafone
if Vodafone - i need to do a MNP (that will take a week i guess)
my usage details in prepaid - very less calls, 24/7 3G
Help me out guys :)

From my perspective go for Vodafone. But wait, I can't vouch for vodafone, because irrespective of pan india presence, each operator performs best in each state.

So it'd be better if you can ask people in your city and state. It'd be the best option I believe.

thanks @krishnandu..
mailed airtel CC requesting postpaid plan details - they sent me a XL sheet with details which i find very confusing :confused:
will visit airtel and vodafone stores tomorrow
few of my colleagues vouched for Vodafone

I dont know signal strength in your area but if you use more data and less calls vodafone dont give flexible red plans. While Airtel my plan you can choose what u want and save few bucks.

If Airtel has worked for you so far, why even bother to change? My mobile is with vodafone and landline with airtel. I have had both for 12 years.

Both will have their good and bad parts. I prefer Vodafone because I find the staff at their service centre a little more professional than those at Airtel stores. But then, I haven't had any 'real' problem with Airtel either. For a while Vodafone did not have 3G in my area, but they fixed it by a tie up with Airtel.

Both companies will create problems when you want to terminate your connection. I had a hard time with vodafone (I had taken another postpaid connection for my tablet) but I have also heard horror stories from airtel customers.

That's right. Both are the top players in Telecom Market so both of them have pros and cons. Few people have horror stories with Vodafone whereas few have the same with Airtel.

If Airtel have been working fine for you this far, then why change? One more thing, both the companies values their Postpaid customers most. As postpaid customers are what they can vouch for and have regular income from them.

So once you saw that you want to move from prepaid to postpaid, you'll be get a warm welcome.:p

It all depends which telecom provider has excellent coverage in your zone.
Still for data or calls i will say go blindly for Vodafone. Their cc is good compared to others and their follow up on a complaint is very neat followed by Docomo. Just my two cents and personal experience in past 14yrs.
Airtel now is just like any local bsnl or mtnl. Dont know about their postpaid plans. But their prepaid packs are simply cheap and good so no wonder why students and teenagers mostly use airtel and secondly Vodafone.

Vodafone services are superfast. I ported from BSNL post-paid to Vodafone post-paid and have been using it for more than an year now. Though Vodafone said it would take a week for MNP but they ported it within 48 hours. The docs I submitted were very minimum. They asked for a photo along with address proof and the application was filled out by the customer service person. Only downside their plans are bit steep if considering Airtel. Their data service is also top notch and most of the time I get connected to 3G

Thanks for the input guys..
visited Airtel store few hours back. Prepaid to Postpaid query indeed gets you a red carpet welcome :p
a rep gave me details re the process - regarding the plan they advised me about myPlan @ different rates (199, 299 .. 599), also i need to pay 300 Rs security deposit for the transfer from prepaid to postpaid.

Coverage is not an issue in the place where i reside. Airtel and Vodafone have very good coverage but i have had some few issues with Airtel data connection - even if i had 3G pack it would still get 2G speed but after some 50+ calls to CC i got this sorted out and now its all good.

My friends warned me getting into airtel postpaid because they had some issues in billing - incorrect billing and lot of CC calls made to get sorted out.
I am using this airtel number for more than 8 yrs now and i should say call quality has been good - i travel a lot down south Tamilnadu and still i get good coverage.
Let me check out the Vodafone this evening on my way back home and then decide :)

I have prepaid of both in Karnataka. Vodafone sucks for me. For each and everything they ask to visit their store. Eg. I was going out of the country and called both of these people to enable International Roaming etc for my postpaid numbers*. Vodafone's process gave me plenty of anger fits. With Airtel, it was just one call/SMS to CC. Plus they have 4G.

*Voda said for incoming call rate while on International Roaming to Thailand would incur 70rs/min! Airtel's was Rs. 17 or something dunno. Also Voda asked to deposit 3K as security for IR. Airtel didn't ask for any such thing.

@rbkumaran I said that :p They value their postpaid customers most. But that doesn't mean, you should believe them blindly, keep an eye on Bills (and specially the details). As for me, I never had any issue. One more thing, is that Vodafone charges some amount for detailed bill if sent by post, but if checked and downloaded from MyVodafone it's free for all. If you don't need bill by post opt for Green Bill (aka no bill by post, only email). In email they will anyway provide you detailed bill without any charge.

The last but not the least, don't pay any security deposit. It was norm when postpaid concept was started. But nowadays, security deposit is not at all needed. I have got postpaid for my dad and my gf too, never paid security deposit.

I know stores (be it Airtel or Vodafone) asks for it, but this is no longer mandatory. Just say them, "in my office they are giving me CUG plans for free without any security deposit, why should I pay you extra, I'll get from him." That will take care of the security deposit.

And yeah, if you know someone working in Companies where they offer CUG plans, then ask him/her to get the postpaid connection for you. CUG plans have many benefits and perks. Like call rate are very low (like as mine is 10p/min local, 30p/min national), and you get some free sms and data every month also with generally a Rs. 100 /- bill discount. This may vary from plan to plan, but some perks are always there.

EVening Update..
Visited Vodafone store - a red carpet welcome here too as soon as i said MNP from Airtel to Postpaid connection
MNP will take 7 days max is what i was informed
RED Plans advised varies from 499, 699 and 899.......1599
@krishnandu - thanks for CUG idea; if my friend gets a CUG SIM for me will that be registered in my name?; I have heard CUG SIMS are only given for employees within that company only in their name
regarding the security deposit - is it refundable when we terminate the connection (i.e if they let us terminate the connection :p)

Last edited:
@rbkumaran Yes it's refundable. It'll be paid back to you when you'll terminate the connection. (But I can't guarantee that the process will be smooth :p). But why pay the security deposit? They won't take a single rupee if you say that thing, I mentioned above. Stores always try to fool as much as they can. But if you insist they will agree. They will ask for your salary slip / income proof and all. If you have a good source of income then they won't argue a single word regarding security deposit.

Well regarding CUG, except that low rates the perks is, unlimited free call between the CUG connection. So if you can get the same CUG connection to other close persons, it'll be free between both of you. And regarding the name, the situation is bit complicated. Generally for CUG connection, the applicant needs to mail his CompanyID (and other documents if required) from their company email. Sometimes, they just take a photocopy of CompanyID. But wait, this is not something fixed. So it depends on the dealer / salesman who is sitting at the company. It varies from salesman to salesman. So you can ask you friend to check what's the rule with the salesman in his company, if there's no such email thing / CompanyID proof required, then you can get it in your name, else it'll be transferred to your friend's name.

From my experience, Vodafone is better, but expensive. The Red plans do not give a lot of flexibility in choosing your type of plan. However, with Airtel, its great.

If you want a customised plan - Airtel. If Airtel has worked for you, then no need to switch.

As for CUG, all I needed was a letter from the company stating I am an employee.

Finally.. finally changed to Airtel Postpaid.. no more recharges, no more running out of balance
no security deposit paid!!
Thanks for all your input guys :)

Back