Audio power for a receiver for Home Theater from US

Oli

Disciple
Hi, I brought the denon avr - 1610 from ebay global buy for around 16.8k. It shipped from new york.

Are there any considerations as far as the power is concerned? The plug is smaller than the indian power supply sockets, but my extension is universal (the plug fits into that) The amplifier is rated AC 120v 60Hz. I tried plugging it in the extenstion, the power came on, but there was no display, so will I need some special equipment for the power?

eBay India: DENON AVR-1610 HOME AV RECEIVER SURROUND BEST CHEAP 5.1 (item 380228933852 end time 29-May-2010 09:13:52 IST)

Note: I did not connect any speakers to the unit, just plugged the power
cord in, but I don't think that has anything to do with the display

Well the damage could have already be done.
A 1000watt step down convertor should be more then enough costs about 2k to 2.8k.

most recivers have a switch at the back so all u just need to get is get a adapter for the indian stocket and search for the denon reciver's back picture in high res and look for the switch.. if there is one.. nothing to worry about should work without any issues.

toxicdrift said:
most recivers have a switch at the back so all u just need to get is get a adapter for the indian stocket and search for the denon reciver's back picture in high res and look for the switch.. if there is one.. nothing to worry about should work without any issues.

There's none!

167714bf10d1fb43f8.png

damn.. now u needta get a convertor for the u.s voltage.. can be done.. maybe the more knowledgeable power geeks can helps us.

i did something like ths earlier but i only got a convertor to pump up 12v's for my car amp which i connected with two car subs and a home deck .. this was way back.. got it done for 2k then..probably got ripped off but it worked without any issues :)

Desecrator said:
There's none!

167714bf10d1fb43f8.png

I just checked that immediately and found none. I'll go and inquire in the market with regards to a transformer. As far as the amp goes, the power light comes on, its only the display screen that does not light up.

toxicdrift said:
dont mess with it without a proper convertor.. ull probably blow some cap and will haveta spend more on repairs.. :mad:

right, thats what I'm going to look for now, hope its available here (Pune)
Edit:
And I hope that I'm lucky enough for something bad not to happen

Dude u plugged it in the power strip without using a step-down converter!!

AFAIK it would have certainly got damaged! Just try to hope for the best!

Desecrator said:
Any updates on this? :p

Yup, I'm concerned about it. I went to av excellence (DP road, pune) and they said that they will be able to provide a 1kva (for the receiver and the woofer)step down transformer. But it would take about 3 days for them to supply it.

Oli said:
Yup, I'm concerned about it. I went to av excellence (DP road, pune) and they said that they will be able to provide a 1kva (for the receiver and the woofer)step down transformer. But it would take about 3 days for them to supply it.

If they have a 250watt step down convertor,take your reciever & check whether the display comes,without connecting any speaker.If it works connect a single speaker to see if the amlifier stage is working & check if all the channels work, but keep the volume at low levels,then you can place the order for the 1000watt convertor.

Since based on my experience,i have seen blown capacitors,some of the channels not working.

I bought an EATA step down transformer for the SAME purpose (Denon 1910 receiver from EBay GEB in the same offer)

Works fine. Just try connecting it at a shop before buying it. You might have done a little damage to the receiver mate.

adder said:
If they have a 250watt step down convertor,take your reciever & check whether the display comes,without connecting any speaker.If it works connect a single speaker to see if the amlifier stage is working & check if all the channels work, but keep the volume at low levels,then you can place the order for the 1000watt convertor.

Since based on my experience,i have seen blown capacitors,some of the channels not working.

Not sure, but a person at another shop told me the same thing. But I just googled the power rating for the amplifier. Turns out that it is 360watts. The woofer maybe few more. Was just trusting the shop keepers judgement., since he's been selling this stuff in Pune from a long time.
BTW, they had a cheap step down , Maxcom, I believe was the brand name. 400 bucks for 500watts max. He (the other shop) asked me to check if it works with that, so that I could save money. But my main concern right now is 'is it working' :( and if not , will Denon repair it atleast? And how much would they charge>I guess there is no international warranty, even if there was, it would have been voided with what I did. Man, I just wanted to test it before the parcel person left, little did I know that there will be a voltage difference. :no:

I hope this serves as a lesson to all since there will be a lot of offers on Global easy buy. I mean, this amp costs 35k in india, I got it for 16.8 k shipped, thats a big temptation.

frankmehta said:
I bought an EATA step down transformer for the SAME purpose (Denon 1910 receiver from EBay GEB in the same offer)
Works fine. Just try connecting it at a shop before buying it. You might have done a little damage to the receiver mate.

I hope the damage is 'a little' or nothing :hap5:
Just waiting for him to get the step down transformer

What i meant was check if it works & know whether its not damaged by connecting it with a 250watt convertor.
my creative gigaworks has a max power consumption of 700watt which includes the sub & 7 sattelites,it normally consumes about 150 watts ,if their at moderate volume levels & low bass,so those consumption rating are at max volumes all ch driven.

adder said:
What i meant was check if it works & know whether its not damaged by connecting it with a 250watt convertor.
my creative gigaworks has a max power consumption of 700watt which includes the sub & 7 sattelites,it normally consumes about 150 watts ,if their at moderate volume levels & low bass,so those consumption rating are at max volumes all ch driven.

Thanks for your inputs, I'll definitely try it if they have one.

So finally is the amp blown or what...?

As you said you got the thing from ebay Global for about 16K. Does it include shipping,customs etc.

If yes wow man ! Such a nice deal.! I had love to fish there sometime.

Back