Power of ssd !!!!!

Pen Drive and SSd u cant compare m8.. !!zameen asmaan ka diff hain !!!

iWould recommned everyone to get SSD it just wayy too quick !!!its just doesnt think .. u give the command and it opens !! :D

@delhiboy, yes it should [tm] work with those models, but really you can get unlucky if you have buggy mobo BIOS etc, but rare cases.

Thx for the replies guys!

But another major doubt: i intend to use the SSD as a external USB drive!

is that even possible?

is it possible to install or LiveUSB - Ubuntu on it ?

hmmm thats strange usage scenario, SSD as external, but yes you can install on it that way... just need to be careful about installing the bootloader/grub because when you try to boot your PC without the SSD attached the bootloader's config files wont be found - its tricky but can be done.

TechHead said:
That only confirms that all devices in the path are TRIM capable. It does not tell you whether TRIM is actually functioning.

Nope, it only tells if the OS is passing the TRIM commands. If you have a TRIM capable drive and the OS is sending it the commands, it stands to reason that TRIM is functioning. Unless there's a device error. Only sure way to find out is to watch if performance degrades over time.

From the link in your next post:
Also, the command C:\>fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 only says that the operating system is passing the trim command. It doesn't necessarily mean that trim is actually working correctly on the drive.

Another link:
Correct, if fsutil reports that "DisableDeleteNotify" is 0, then Trim is enabled. (The feature is sometimes referred to using different names: Trim == Delete Notification == Unused Clusters Hint.) The setting is written in terms of disabling something because we like to use values of 0 for defaults.

Have Trim enabled according to this setting, which you do, means that the filesystem will send Trim commands down the storage stack. The filesystem doesn't actually know whether this command will be supported or not at a lower level. When the disk driver receives the command, it will either act on it or ignore it. If you know for sure that your storage devices don't support Trim, you could go ahead and disable Trim (enable DisableDeleteNotify) so the filesystem won't bother to send down these notifications. However sending down the notifications is pretty lightweight and I haven't seen any performance improvement by disabling them, so I don't recommend disabling this setting. If you have an SSD which does support Trim, then you definitely don't want to disable it, because there are some performance gains to be had for leaving the setting in its default form.

@vishalrao: thanks for the reply mate!

My reason for this queer usage is like this- I hav a company Laptop with WinXp installed.

I use Live USB Ubuntu on a Pendrive whenever i wanna surf at home.I Just plugin the pendrive whenever i wanna surf at home! ( w/o modifying the Window Bootloader.

I am hoping that with an External SSD with Ubuntu (installed or LiveUSB) i will get a better performance at a minimal price (well, cheaper than buying a personal PC for surfing!)

So:

1) I wanna know whether such a External SSD with USB/Firewire option exists?

2) Whether its possible to install Ubuntu on it without it messing up the windows Bootloader? & if yes, will there be a performnce boost over my current USB Pendrive scenario?

Thx for your help!!

1.) Sure, you can just put the SSD into a 2.5 inch HDD/USB/firewire enclosure and you have it ready.

2.) You can install Ubuntu on this the same way you did it for the pen drive. Meaning if you main drive shows up as /dev/sda and this plugged in drive shows up as /dev/sdb then during installation make sure you choose to install GRUB(2) onto /dev/sdb.

Note you may still have issues later like if you have multiple devices plugged in or you try to boot this on another PC with extra drives because now your /dev/sdb will show up as /dev/sdc and boot will not work again.

For this there is this UUID based disk marking stuff which you can always post int the open source section should you face any issues later on :)

@delhiboy1000, why not use a normal external HDD? Less than a quarter of the cost and more perf than a pen drive. Adding a little to a ssd's cost can get you a very good netbook. Put in an ssd later on in the netbook. Prices are bound to fall as soon as the next gen drives are in.

Edit: Just realised something. Let's try to keep this kinda discussions in their own threads. The OP's show-off will remain clean and other members can benefit from the discussions if carried on in the proper relevant tech section.

Guys ,SSD can't fail at all right ? .They don't have any moving parts .So they should be set for life time of the PC ,Correct ?

@nfsnfs: in fact the FLASH chips fail quite regularly and at a steady (but slow) pace (cant remember where i read that)... just that the controller firmware re-routes around the failing chips so you dont notice it...

vishalrao said:
@nfsnfs: in fact the FLASH chips fail quite regularly and at a steady (but slow) pace (cant remember where i read that)... just that the controller firmware re-routes around the failing chips so you dont notice it...

Hey dont scare the guy by saying that :p

MLC flash which is used in most consumer SSD's is rated for at least 100,000 read/write operation and SLC is three times that afaik. SSD's do come with some spare area though which they use for clean up operations. I dunno if what you said is true tho, about the firmware using working chips if some fail. Possibly they do

:D will try to dig up where i read that stuff (probably AnandTech or my SSD website Crucial.com)...

But didn't mean to scare, just making you aware (Im a poet now).... I have an SSD running on my desktop for 3 months now, thinking of getting another one to plonk into my laptop...

The speeds are crazy, but what bothers me is that SSD generally has a lower life than a normal hdd. I'd lose my mind if it died on me and I couldn't recover my data.

well "lower life" sure... but at the rate i see HDDs failing all around me... including my current HDD SMART warning of bad sectors I think there's nothing much more to worry about.

and an SSD is really a boot/OS/apps drive, you can store your data on slower/larger HDDs rather than getting a high-RPM one which could crash/fail faster for whatever reason (shocks/power fluctuations etc)...

Back