CPU/Mobo power surge on Hub Port - pop up balloon

janitha

Adept
From today I am repeatedly getting a pop up balloon titled "Power surge on Hub Port "and saying " A USB device has exceeded the power limits of the hub port. For assistance, in solving the problem, click the message." Only two cables of camera and phone were inserted without the devices. Even after disconnecting the cables naf following the instructions, the pop up is coming and it is a nuisance. What may be the reason and solution? I am using OEM original Win XP SP3.

Even with all USB ports disconnected, the warning is repeatedly appearing. Will there be any damage to the ports? Please help!

The issue was temporarily solved by disabling the USB drives in the Device Manager and rebooting. But now the issue is back, as if with a vengeance. Can it be due SMPS voltage difference? I have checked several times in the Bios and always it is showing correct voltage. (within +/- 5%) But Speedfan shows 12V as 10.12 and 5V as 5.93!

Had this issue on a mobo. Had to replace the board. My guess would be that yours is also faulty. No way the PSU would give this error.

Had requested MSI through email for RMA of board with all required details on 30-11-2009. Finally after nearly two months, received their reply yesterday asking to format and reinstall OS and if the problem persists, to send it to their service centre at Cochin. Formatted and reinstalled and now the problem is gone. I have been wondering why even though there are thousand of links on the web about this issue, there is no proper explanation or solution mentioned, other than one for disabling the pop up messages.

Pls go into Dev manager double click on the usb rub related to ur motherboard chipset, click on disable error message reporting or that sort and ur pc should work fine

janitha said:
I have been wondering why even though there are thousand of links on the web about this issue, there is no proper explanation or solution mentioned, other than one for disabling the pop up messages.

ryanrulez4ever said:
Pls go into Dev manager double click on the usb rub related to ur motherboard chipset, click on disable error message reporting or that sort and ur pc should work fine

Did I miss something :p!

Back