Storage Solutions powered usb hubs

techfan

Disciple
when i connect my 2.5" usb 3 external drive to my wdtv via a non-powered usb hub i would get a clicking noise which was not there if i connected it directly to wdtv's usb port. i read that it may be due to drive not getting enough power

so i bought a a powered usb hub from ebay thinking it would solve the issue but it hasnt.

this is the model i bought
http://www.ebay.in/itm/191849201868

now even though the packaging of the hub says that a 2A power adapter is included what has been provided is a 500ma adapter.

if i'm not mistaken thats the same power that a non-powered usb hub would give, right?

what should be the power rating of the power adapter in order for it to be a true powered usb hub? right now the performance of this hub is no different from the plain usb hub that i had earlier.

the seller is not answering my query about the discrepancy in the power adapters. should i file a claim?

Yes, it's a power related issue. Can't say how much you actually need as I went thru the same issue. I bought a 1A USB hub and it still can't work reliably with my portable drive.

BTW, your ebay item listing says "Perfect for connecting USB 1.1 peripherals."

As you said, the package mentioned a 2A adapter but got a 500mA... you should file a claim.

If you are going to connect 3 drives, taking 500mA for each, it comes to 1.5A. 2A should be good as your charger will have some breathing room.

I checked the item that you bought from eBay. A good charger costs double this amount. Your external hard drives contain sensitive electronic parts. I do not recommend going for these cheap hubs.

thanks for your replies @hotshot05 & @Criminal

my question is then what is the difference between a non-powered usb hub and a powered usb hub? i mean if i were to connect a normal ie passive ie non-powered usb hub to a power outlet with the help of usb cable would that then supply the 2.1a power to the connected peripherals?

& if the adapter which has been given with the hub i bought is rated at 500ma why is it not enough to power the external drive when i only connect just that 1 drive & nothing else. isnt 500ma what is needed to power drives?

^^ powered hubs eat some power for themselves (lights, cable resistance etc). Therefore, that 500mA one will be supplying little less at the port. That's why we have 2.1A adaptors to supply 2A of current.

thanks for your replies @hotshot05 & @Criminal

my question is then what is the difference between a non-powered usb hub and a powered usb hub? i mean if i were to connect a normal ie passive ie non-powered usb hub to a power outlet with the help of usb cable would that then supply the 2.1a power to the connected peripherals?

& if the adapter which has been given with the hub i bought is rated at 500ma why is it not enough to power the external drive when i only connect just that 1 drive & nothing else. isnt 500ma what is needed to power drives?

You cannot supply power using the USB cable method that you stated. There are supposed to be poly fuses which are supposed to limit current. Moreover you may have grounding problems if you attach both power usb cable and data usb cable to the same input port of non powered hub (you cannot attach power usb cable to output port as there are supposed to be diodes which will prevent current input)

A powered hub has a separate input port where you have to attach the power adapter.

Back