Preview: Asus M3A78-EM

I have multiple rigs at home, as most of you know. Recently I hooked up everything to a network, and as it happened the machine that migrated to the center of the action was my browsing machine. I needed to upgrade that quickly, but the M2A-VM that was the heart of that machine, didn't have all the features I needed. I was looking for a feature-rich board that would have all the connectivity I'd ever need, decent graphics performance, and a benign heat and power consumption profile.

So when I heard the M3A-78 EM was in stock, I jumped to the occasion. Having had the board for a few days in the system, I'm publishing a small preview of board. This preview contains no benchmarks, so those looking for performance statisics will be disappointed. There are enough on the web with this chipset battling it out with others, so I'm basically steering clear of the benchmark game. Plus, it's a low power system most of the time, so the focus is on features, silence and power consumption.

Let's get to it.

[Break=Heritage]

The board comes from Asus. Asus has been plagued by support issues centered around their main distributor, Rashi. To be totally honest, I've lost quite a few Asus boards to the silicon Gods, but I've also a few that have been here long and still going strong. In no case have I had to experience customer support issues, because I've never managed to use them - the boards usually died after warranty period, some almost the next week after expiry.

Anyway, the board carries the wonderfully memorable and evocative model number M3A78-EM. I can glean from the name that it's meant for AMD processors, and has the 780G chipset. Beyond that, the naming remains a mystery to me. These are codes for channel partners so when they receive the boards they know what to roughly price it at. To me, that was 4650 + taxes. Slightly steep, but as we'll see, well worth it.

[Break=Features]

The board has all the bells and whistles you'll ever need. Here's the manufacturer's spec:

CPU

AMD Socket AM2+ / AM2 Processors

AMD Phenomâ„¢ FX / Phenom / Athlonâ„¢ / Sempronâ„¢

AMD Cool 'n' Quietâ„¢ Technology

Support CPU up to 140W
Chipset

AMD 780G/SB700

Up to 5200/MT/s HyperTransportâ„¢ 3.0 interface for AM2+ CPU

2000 / 1600 MT/s for AM2 CPU

Memory

4 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR2 1066/800/667 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

Dual Channel memory architecture

*DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+ CPU only

Expansion Slots

1 x PCIe x16 (Support PCIe 2.0 / 1.0 Architecture )

1 x PCIe x1

2 x PCI 2.2

VGA

Integrated ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 3200 GPU

Supports DisplayPort* with max. resolution up to 2560 x 1600@60HZ

Supports HDMIâ„¢ Technology with max. resolution up to 1920 x 1200 (1080P)

Supports Dual-link DVI with max. resolution up to 2560 x 1600@60Hz

Supports D-Sub with max. resolution up to 2456 x 1536 @75Hz

Hybrid CrossFireXâ„¢ Support (For Windows Vista only) **

Supports Microsoft® DirectX 10, OpenGL 2.0, Pixel Shader 4.0

Maximum shared memory of 256MB

* Due to chipset limitation, DisplayPort on this motherboard only supports video signals

** Reter to ASUSTeK Computer for the discrete graphics GPU QVL list for Hybrid CFX technology support

CrossFire

Hybrid CrossFireXâ„¢ Support (For Windows Vista only)
Storage

1 xUltraDMA 133/100

5 x SATA 3.0Gb/s ports, Support RAID 0,1,10 1 x eSATA 3.0Gb/s ports, support RAID 0, 1 and 10

1 x eSATA 3.0Gb/s ports, Support RAID 0,1,10

LAN

Gigabit LAN

Audio

Realtek® ALC1200 8 -Channel High Definition Audio CODEC

- Optical S/PDIF out port at back I/O

USB

12 USB 2.0 ports (6 ports at mid-board, 6 ports at back panel)

Overclocking Features

SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection)

- FSB tuning from 200MHz to 300MHz at 1MHz increment

Adjustable CPU Voltage at 0.05V increment

Overclocking Protection

- ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)

Special Features

Express Gate

ASUS Q-Fan

ASUS MyLogo2

ASUS CrashFreeBIOS3

ASUS EZ Flash2

ASUS Noise Filter

AI NAP

Back Panel I/O Ports

1 x PS/2 Keyboard

1 x S/PDIF Out (Optical)

1 x HDMI

1 x DisplayPort

1 x D-Sub

1 x DVI

1 x 1394

1 x eSATA

1 x RJ45 port

6 x USB 2.0/1.1

8-Channel Audio I/O

Internal I/O Connectors

3 x USB connector (6 ports)

1 x Floppy disk drive connector

1 x IDE connector

1 x COM connector

5 x SATA connectors

1 x 1394

1 x CPU Fan connector

1 x Chassis Fan connector

1 x Power Fan connector

1 x S/PDIF Out Header

Chassis Intrusion connector

CD audio in

24-pin ATX Power connector

4-pin ATX 12V Power connector

System Panel

BIOS

8 Mb Flash ROM

DMI 2.0

AMI BIOS

PnP

WfM 2.0

SM BIOS 2.5

ACPI 2.0a

ASUS EZ Flash 2

Accessories

UltraDMA 133/100/66 cable

FDD cable

SATA cables

SATA power cables

User's manual

2 in 1 Q-connector

Support CD

Express Gate

Drivers

ASUS PC Probe II

ASUS LiveUpdate Utility

Anti-virus software (OEM version)

Form Factor

uATX Form Factor

9.6 inch x9.6 inch ( 24.4 cm x24.4 cm )

[Break=Packaging]

The box comes in a fancy green glittering package. Honestly, I wouldn't mind a brown box with recycled paper and a few extras in the box to compensate, but I guess bling is the new king.

It is awash with labels touting the highlights of the board. The main feature is support for 140watt CPUs, so even the 9950 is supported spec wise (I'm waiting on the CPU price corrections after my conversation with AMD honchos).

Apart from that minor detail, the board also pronounces its support for Displayport, HDMI and Hybrid CrossfireX. The only standout feature here is Displayport, which is a new connector for high-resolution displays. The only monitors in India to carry it are the 2408WFP and the 3008WFP.

The biggest highlight of the box is the new sticker with a toll-free number for Rashi. Looks like they're concerned about their support image, and this is a pretty solid step. I haven't dialed in yet, so I don't know how solid the support itself is.

And Express Gate - the little OS that can basically be all you need if you don't want to boot into Windows. Watch this space for a detailed experience on Express Gate later.

[Break=Bundle]

In a break from the usual, I'll talk about the bundle first. The bundle basically, isn't.

You get a support DVD, a couple of cables for your SATA drives (one is right-angled, kids) and the corresponding power adapters from Molex if you don't have a SATA enabled power supply. Two Q-connect dongles for the main panel and USB, two thin little manuals, The IO shield and that's it. Not much to talk about and no software suite either.

I would have liked the newer IO shield to be included with this board, or a Coax SPDIF connector, or a firewire dongle, but no dice. I think they ran out of budget when they got the printer's bill.

[Break=The board]

Finally, the star of the show. Here's a top shot.

The board is a regular micro-ATX board. In a departure from many Asus board, there are finally fastener holes in slot 7 and 8 for the Micro-ATX factor. For too long Asus had just filled these board areas in, so the last 4 inches of the board were always without support. The power connectors, disk connectors, IO panel are usually located in that space so whereas I understand the scarcity of space it's important that boards not get subjected to potential damage by mechanical stress of cables in that area.

It's also black, yay. The mud-brown epoxy boards were functional, but looked depressing. The screen printing is easier to read against black, and componenents are easily visible.

[Break=Layout]

Nothing surprising, not very innovative, but reasonably intelligent layout.

The Sata connectors are out of the way of large graphics cards, and so are the memory slots. The IDE connector is placed at a right angle, so it's a little difficult to connect, but manageable.

The fan headers require you to run long cables from front fans, but are well-placed for rear fans and the CPU fan.

Power supply connectors are in their usual place.

The bottom of edge of the board has a swath of connectors, as Asus didn't put some of the legacy ports on the back panel. Personally that's not a problem for me, but if you still have that dot matrix printer from 1996, you're not going to be able to connect it without a dongle.

Overall, no nasty surprises. Oh wait, you want to reset the CMOS? You can do that if you have not either or both a floppy connected or a large video card in the slot. The floppy cable blocks the jumper headers, and the second blocks the CMOS battery.

[Break=Power regulation]

Here's the star of the show. The board claims it can support a 140 watt CPU. I'm not so sure. Though it does have a 5-phase regulator, The regs aren't cooled by any kind of heat dissipation devices. Even assuming 90% efficiency, those things are going to get very hot. 140 watt will be at the limit of the circuitry's heat profile, so 125-watt CPUs will be a better bet, or like my plan, underclocking and undervolting a 140 watt processor.

The regulators are well designed, with each primary power device supported by a secondary regulator. I would imagine that at very low loads, the bigger transistors would remain idle and the load would be taken by the smaller primary regulators. This keeps overall power consumption down, and is a technique used in a lot of power amplifiers in the audio world as well.

Each phase has 1,642 uF of capacitance and a single choke for EMI suppression. Though it's not much capacitance, the capacitors are the newer solid capacitors, though they'r not either Nippon or Panasonic. I don't know what brand they are, but let's hope they don't give up quickly. Some sources point towards them being Fujitsu capacitors.

Here's a quick comparison - the P5Q DEluxe has 16 phases for the CPU, and the most power hungry Quads are pushing 160 watts at high clocks. When you compare this circuitry to that, 140 watts in 5 phases seems a little steep. It may break down into PMPO vs. RMS kind of debate here.

Here's the memory regulator. Standard fare.

[Break=Connectivity]

The board really shines here. No excuses. 6 USB ports, PS/2, Displayport, HDMI, optical, E-Sata, Firewire, DVI, VGA, and 8 connectors for 7.1 audio.

The misses are Coax digital, Parallel and serial, and analog video (composite/s-video/component).

In terms of connectivity the Displayport will disable any card in the X16 slot, but you can run dual displays in a number of configurations - Displayport and HDMI orDVI or VGA, or DVI with VGA or HDMI, and HDMI with VGA. In short, all combinations are possible so you should be able to connect any two displays to the board.

The theme is carried over to the expansion slots. Even with a dual-slot video card, you still can access one PCI slot and one PCIE (x1) slot. and plenty of offboard headers - SPDIF, Front audio, Firewire, 6 USB, Parallel and Serial.

[Break=Build quality]

The board is reasonably built. The components look decently chosen. All critical caps are those red caps (fujitsu?) and there are some other caps that look like solid caps. It's critical to understand is that the can of the cap does not dictate its contrusction. There are lots of cap which look like the polymer caps, but are regular wet electrolytics. The real test is in the bottom of the cap, but we can't see that after soldering anyway. Anyway, there are also solid electrolyte caps like Panasonic FC that look like 'normal' caps because they have the jacket, in fact they are somewhere betwen regular cap and polymer cap.

Moving on, we see some funny chips. The firewire controller is a Jmicron, and the NIC is a regular Realtek 8-series GB LAN. The audio chip is the biggest surprise.

It's ALC1200, a custom chip for Asus. No specifications are available. A very kind tester has made some RMAA results available. I was quite thrilled at seeing the first set of numbers, but the sound quality was only just passable. When I saw the later graphs it became clear what the problems are. Though the 1200 is more competent than a lot of onboard cards, it still has a terrible distortion profile specially at the higher harmonics. Basically, it may do OK for undemanding listeners. Audiophiles still have to look the other way. On the positive side, it seems well-implemented for an onboard solution, with a nice voltage regulator dedicated to it.

Here's the link for RMAA testing. Try a translator, but most audio buffs should get it. RightMark Audio Analyzer: ASUS M3A-H HDMI (HDA- Realtek ALC1200)

The heatsink for the southbridge is really, really tiny. Should be enough though. And though it looks like it, made of not copper but aluminum. the Northbridge heatsink is a little more substantial. It's a lot more beefy than the one on the 690G chipsets.

The chips under the heatsinks are obviously the 780G Northbridge and the SB700 Southbridge. The SB700 brought in a lot of improvements over the SB600, in terms of both actual connectivity and performance, specially in USB and SATA performance, which was the achilees' heel of 690G performance.

[Break=Closing thoughts]

The board installed with only one hitch, it just refused to boot up. I tried resetting the CMOS, reseating the RAM, everything I could think of, but no dice. So I pulled out both sticks of memory and the board started squealing like a pig. On installing the RAM again, the board booted and had been running without a hiccup since then. Weird.

Anyway, it's a pretty well-thought out board. The back panel can get real crowded if you want to use all features, but apart from that the only drawback I can see is the lack of sideport memory. The chipset still can't handle high-resolution gaming, but it'd not be a smart thing to buy. Deus Ex gives me a playable experience at 1920x1200, if a little jerky. And that's a seven-year old game, so you can see how far behind the discrete cards curve we are when it comes to IGPs.

On the bright side, the board runs really cool. There is no temperature sensor for the Northbridge, it would have been good to build it in. On the other hand, the Chassis fan header is now speed-controlled, whereas most Asus boards at this price point allowed you to only control the CPU fan speed. Helps to keep noise levels down. Compared to my older setup with a Powersafe 400 and M2A-VM, the Pc is nearly silent. Temperatures have increased marginally, but with the lower noise profile, it's very acceptable. The Northbridge heatsink is quite efficient, temperatures don't go beyond 45 degrees even under heavy GPU load. The southbridge runs a little warmer, but doesn't cross 50 degrees.

The support for high-end parts is noteworthy, but Asus is Asus and wouldn't really be if they aren't goofing up on at least one thing. So here it is. You can't install a cooler which requires a custom backplate. Ever.

When you are adding in support for the highest quality parts, it would seem you might want to accomodate a custom heatsink. Well, you can't.

The Core-Contact Freezer will fit as it was specifically built for the AM2 mounting system, and so will anything that can latch on to those clips. But for most backplates, you're out of luck. The pressure from the heatsink will crush those capacitors on the back, if it doesn't short them out and destroy the board first.

Overall, I'd recommend this board for someone who needs a feature-laden board with support for high-end CPUs, but doesn't want to pay the earth for it. At Rs. 4650 before taxes and a three-year warranty, it seems like a solid buy. I do hope that the Rashi service has improved, but also that I never have the opportunity to find out.

Enjoy, and ask any questions you might want to. I'll follow this up with some impressions on Express Gate once I have it running later this weekend.

2 quick updates.

1. Board seems to support the 9950BE just fine. I opted for a Gemini S down-draft cooler and added some RAM sinks to the higher current MOSFETs on the VRM, they run real hot without. I'm seeing temps of 60 degree plus on the regulators once I add the sinks, must've been much higher before they were added, maybe 90 degrees or more.

2. Board is beginning to strain a bit at the edges with 2560x1600 resolution. The display loses sync once in a while and blanks out, a problem that has plagued me with all ATI chipsets since the 690G when running at full dual-link resolution. Maybe this is why the boards from all vendors with the 790GX chipset offer only single-link resolution, to avoid supporting a small fraction of users (like me) who want to run huge monitors off a IGP. The 8.10 drivers reduce this issue significantly, and I've backed off all clocks to default, so let's see where this ends up.

Here's the final update on the board.

It can't overclock the 140W CPUs worth a dam. Not a deal breaker though. The Vcore is very unstable, fluctuating between the minimum and maximum continuously. The VRMs heat up a LOT. Basically, 140W is the maximum TDP allowable for CPUs on this board. And I was doing multi overclocking, not HTT.

The board can clock X2s really well though, in the tradition of AMD chipsets. I managed to get my 4000+ up to 2.6GHz from 2.1 without any voltage or temperature increase, just by pushing the HTT to 250. If your CPU is able to run with highish HTT, this may be the board for you.

hey guys;) .......i will be purchasing this board in a week and a half

i only want to know if this board an be fitted with the sunbeam core contact freezer { CCF } 120:) ,,,,,CAN THIS BOARD HANDLE the weight of the cooler with a 120 fan?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????PLEASE HELP SOON:hap2: ;) :hap5:

I am facing No sound Problem like quite a few on this same mobo... All the latest drivers had been installed from Realtek site but still there is no sound from back ports while from front port the sound is quite low.... :(

I've not had this problem, you might want to RMA the mobo. Is your front panel header selection set to "AC97" or "HDA", and are your front ports HDA compliant?

sangram said:
I've not had this problem, you might want to RMA the mobo. Is your front panel header selection set to "AC97" or "HDA", and are your front ports HDA compliant?

It was set to AC97... Tried every option... Even disabled the ATI HD Audio from BIOS under chipset... but even with any combination it refuses to work... RMA is the only option I guess.... :(

Is the CM model available too? What price? Since that would be even more VFM for us people with a discrete graphic card.
Also the positioning of the heatsink near the PCI-e slot looks dodgy. Would a Asus Xonar fit snugly on it?

You have to switch the ATI audio off and set the header to HDA. AC97 requires that there is a hardwired connection between the input and output, some cases are not able to do it. Try disconnecting the front header, setting the header type to HDA, and if you still have an issue, RMA the mobo.

Otherwise, it's the case.

sangram said:
You have to switch the ATI audio off and set the header to HDA. AC97 requires that there is a hardwired connection between the input and output, some cases are not able to do it. Try disconnecting the front header, setting the header type to HDA, and if you still have an issue, RMA the mobo.

Otherwise, it's the case.

Even tried this & removed the header all together... but no result... I'll have to RMA it....

Do we need them anyway?
Well, we were counting, weren't we? :D

I've been using this board six months now, it's mostly been on 24x7, no downtime except to change out hardware. Rock-solid stable so far, no trouble from the board :touchwood: Note that I did install a couple of heatsinks on the VRMs to keep them cool under the stress of having to deal with the very thirsty Phenom 9950.

The two nagging issues with the board are the very slow scrolling in FF (fixed a/o driver 8.12) and the lag in display when lots of images are on the screen. In all honesty this is unfair criticism for a IGP, as it has no sideport memory. If you are looking at the IGP (no separate card) to run the HTPC, I would point towards options with the 790GX over the 780G. There are no mATX boards without an IGP, so if you have a discrete card you can save the cash and pick up this one.

Back