Car & Bike Price of Honda Unicorn battery ?

raksrules

Elite
I have Honda Unicorn and my bike's battery has gone bad. I will need to replace it. I am unable to use self start and headlights are also low ( not sure if related to bad battery)
I have got the battery replaced couple of years back but don't remember anything. Can anyone tell me how much it would cost me to replace the bike's battery ?
I have almost no knowledge about them and all I remember is that the battery that came with the bike was okoyo brand (mostly).

i got my hero honda passion battery for 650 in exchange for my old battery.. got rs 50 for the old one..mine is standard furukawa.. unicorn has a lil bigger battery so approx shud b between 800 - 1000 range go for exide or an other brand which offers more warranty :)

Always go for MF battery. hardly costs 100-200/- more

Avoid Exide at any cost. worst batteries.
Honda Unicorn comes with 7 Ah battery, which is not available in maintenance free type
But Unicorn can take 9Ah battery in its battery compartment.

Go for Amron Beta ABR-PR-12APBTX90 MF battery ( Battery for Bajaj Pulsar 220)
It should cost you 1550-1650, with 24+24 months warranty
Amron's A S S is way better than Exide.
All my bikes and car and inverters have/had Amron batteries.

@geek ashish
I shall definitely check the one you suggested. Btw these batteries should be available with the regular shop where one gets their bike serviced?

Also is there any way to know whether the current battery is actually bad or it is some sort of temporary thing ?
The bike was not being used for a long time and when my brother gave for servicing the guy told him that he tried to charge it but the battery would not charge and would need to be replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you should go for Amaron batteries (7A for unicorn), it should be avialable at any service shop.
I shall definitely check the one you suggested. Btw these batteries should be available with the regular shop where one gets their bike serviced?

Also is there any way to know whether the current battery is actually bad or it is some sort of temporary thing ?
The bike was not being used for a long time and when my brother gave for servicing the guy told him that he tried to charge it but the battery would not charge and would need to be replaced.

If you have got a feedback from service personnel that the battery is bad, then you have to change the battery.

geek ashish

@raksrules the symptoms you mentioned are signs of a dead battery or it being completely discharged. Since you mentioned that the bike has not been used for a long time, the first thing i suggest to do is you get the battery charged. The local auto/bike sparepart shop guys do it or will direct you to a battery shop. Could you tell me how old your bike (i.e. current battery is?)
After charging watch for a few days if the headlight power, horn sound are consistent as before.

P.S. if your bike battery is 3-4 yrs old, then replacing the battery would be the right option.

geek ashish

First check if your battery is under warranty period or not.
IF YES give it to a Exide dealer for charging, or replacement.
you can find out warranty periods for each Exide model on their website.

IF NOT
If you have a trustworthy, local battery guy ( inverter battery supplier will do too), you can give your battery to him for overnight charging. cost 40-50/-

BUT Exide batteries are known to last only 1.5-2 yrs. Lot of CBR 250s are facing this problem within warranty period ( no Kick start, you see)

Always buy battery from the Amron dealer, coz he is the one who will replace it, in case of a warranty claim.
The guy who service your bike is acting as a middle man, adding his own profit share to the battery's cost.
With a original Amron dealer bill/receipt, you can claim warranty in any city.

If you are in Mumbai or Thane, I can give you details of Amron dealers.
my number is nine 8 six nau do eight zero char double che

Ok so I went to a battery shop here in Hinjewadi Pune and he said there are no amarom 7A coming now and he tried to fit the 9A one but it would not go inside, even after removing that hard rubber enclosure which has a tube going down to drain leaking water. So at least this guy near office does not have 7A battery.

@raksrules There are quite a few battery shops in PCMC area. I would suggest not going to Hinjewadi coz ppl there just wait to rip you off :|
Try out shops in Chinchwad near the Chaphekar Chowk, or Sterling Honda on Mumbai-Pune Highway. If none of these work out you might have to go to the City side to get a battery.
I had a royal PITA when I wanted to change my Unicorn's batt. I turned Pune inside out before I could find one.

What did you do?

Nothing yet. I am not really using the bike much at the moment so postponed it. Trying to find some shop in Pune which has the 7A battery for unicorn.
If nothing works out i will go with some other company battery. Which do you suggest ? Current is Aamco (incorrectly mentioned as Exide before)

I was also searching for Aamron 5A batteries in my area (Mumbai - Dahisar-Bvi) just 1.5 months back. it was not available anywhere. Reliable sellers told me that Aamron is good but not much success in 2 wheelers. So if the battery itself is barely available, i doubt what warranty i would get. So i choose for exide maintenance free one which is said to be good. Dealers told me its the lower end ones for exide which are not good and carry a bad name for exide. This one carries 3 yrs warranty (18 + 18 months). It cost me Rs. 1100/- in exchange(Rs 100/- off) of my 4yr old battery.

Ok so after so many months i finally got the battery changed today. The previous one was Amco battery and when i went to one authorized honda service center he offered Amco only for 1450. Then i went to another dedicated battery shop and he had exide normal one (which have water) for 1700 Rs and he offered another one called Rocket brand battery which was maintenance free and that was 1750 Rs. Now this Rocket was never unheard of so inspite of being maintenance free i avoided that.
Then went to another shop and he offered me Exide Xtreme for 1350 (after taking my battery back) and claim that it is very good quality and is sort of maintenance free.
I got that exide xtreme battery installed in bike just now.

Here is a link of that xtreme one -> http://www.exidereachout.com/products/exide-xtreme.aspx

Edit: Just read what @Malique wrote above and mine seems to be the same battery but had to pay a bit extra. Anyways happy that i now have a 3 year warranty battery.
http://www.techenclave.com/community/members/malique.25739/

Ok so after so many months i finally got the battery changed today. The previous one was Amco battery and when i went to one authorized honda service center he offered Amco only for 1450. Then i went to another dedicated battery shop and he had exide normal one (which have water) for 1700 Rs and he offered another one called Rocket brand battery which was maintenance free and that was 1750 Rs. Now this Rocket was never unheard of so inspite of being maintenance free i avoided that.
Then went to another shop and he offered me Exide Xtreme for 1350 (after taking my battery back) and claim that it is very good quality and is sort of maintenance free.
I got that exide xtreme battery installed in bike just now.

Here is a link of that xtreme one -> http://www.exidereachout.com/products/exide-xtreme.aspx

Edit: Just read what @Malique wrote above and mine seems to be the same battery but had to pay a bit extra. Anyways happy that i now have a 3 year warranty battery.
rakrules, which variant/model of the extreme exid battery did u put in your unicorn?

try to buy sealed batteries which do not require refilling water or acid. aka *maintenance free*
exide/amaron/tata green are good ones. usually they will last for 3 years but some good ones will last 5 years.

you can order amaron batteries online at http://www.batterywale.com/

Back