Printer for home usage

eraviii

Disciple
Please suggest any good wifi enabled printers for home, usage will be very rare and occasional. Previously had canon pixma series but that catridge is no where to be found online here. any model which is reliable for long ? I have sensitive documents getting printed outside is not at all safe.

I have shortlisted Pixma at 5.5k which is reasonable i feel.

Budget - Under 7k.

Inkjets are not suitable for rare usage. The head will clog between long periods of inactivity and you'll need to print the test pages quite frequently.

Do you need color prints? If no, I would suggest you go with monochrome laser printer

Inkjets are not suitable for rare usage. The head will clog between long periods of inactivity and you'll need to print the test pages quite frequently.

Do you need color prints? If no, I would suggest you go with monochrome laser printer
Yes upon researching i found that is problem. How about ecotank printers ? No color prints, only b&w with scan function , wifi.

For rare usage do you absolutely need to spend 10K+ on ink-tank printers? Do you not have a shop anywhere around you to get that occasional printout?
Trust me it's an absolute waste of money to buy a printer if you don't use it at least once a week.

Scanning apps on phone have become very mature. I can suggest an app called vFlat which is very good. Rest is your call.

Thanks i feel the same but when it comes to documents like personal and sensitive i feel owning one gives me peace of mind. Outside shops they just take but they never delete files. in that context i felt i could buy one .

I agree. For these I take my USB drive and they print it directly using the drive without copying to local machine. I don't mail them any document.

Last edited:
Yes upon researching i found that is problem. How about ecotank printers ? No color prints, only b&w with scan function , wifi.
I have a similar printer, Brother DCP-T500W, where you refill the ink in a tank. The ink has somewhat dried up in the tank even when it was closed properly. Also, it has suffered from the same head problem.

I would suggest @enthusiast29 s method. Ask them to delete the files using Shift+Del. But if you are still insisting on owning a printer, look at HP Laserjet 108w. Perfect for your needs: monochrome, wifi but no scan available at 13k. If you want multifunction, go for 136w at 17k

Some printer have build-in hdd or option to attached hdd. They can retain copy of your scanned document even after some time. It would be risky for sensitive document. I don't recall exact info but there was photocopier's shop in new delhi and they scam few people by retaining scaned property documents / identification.

> I have sensitive documents getting printed outside is not at all safe.

If safety is a priority, you should better opt for a printer at home and worry tad less about cost.

Heard printers which use sublimation ink when kept Powered On, tends to fair better and generally does not damage printer head.

I bought brother HL-B2080DW during the Diwali sale for 11-12k after all discounts. Prints are needed once a month and I hate giving access to my important document to some rando print shop. HL-B2080DW is a highly rated wireless airplay compatible monochrome laser printer. Works beautifully with all apple devices in the house.

I know it’s pricey but it’s buy and forget with a INR 800 toner

I bought brother HL-B2080DW during the Diwali sale for 11-12k after all discounts. Prints are needed once a month and I hate giving access to my important document to some rando print shop. HL-B2080DW is a highly rated wireless airplay compatible monochrome laser printer. Works beautifully with all apple devices in the house.

I know it’s pricey but it’s buy and forget with a INR 800 toner
Thanks i am completely in Apple eco system and this is just my case. However currently that printer is at 20k . Probably will wait for sales . Hopefully republic day or other. Have wishlisted it. laser printer is far far better than any inkjet or inktank.

Thanks i am completely in Apple eco system and this is just my case. However currently that printer is at 20k . Probably will wait for sales . Hopefully republic day or other. Have wishlisted it. laser printer is far far better than any inkjet or inktank.
Try your local computer shop(s), the offline retail price for printers is usually much more reasonable than online. Amazon and flipkart prices are just ridiculous for most tech except a few categories.

Back