CPU/Mobo Problem during first few seconds of boot up

KingKrool

Skilled
Well I was listening to music and surfing the net...
all of a sudden the screen (Opera) hangs, but the music plays on (winamp). So I did the 3 fingered salute and the music freezes to - makes some sort of stacatto noise. So I pressed the reset button. But it wouldn't restart. It came to "Detecting IDE drives..." and stopped. So I switched it off, switched off the PSU from behind, and tried again after a little while. It did the same thing, so I pressed del to enter the BIOS and it said preparing to enter setup and froze. So I disconnected the power, opened it up, checked the connections (everything was tight), hooked it back up and it started fine.
Any explanation for this? I don't want it to happen again. I don't think it was overheating because the CPU lies on the top of my desk now.

Which soundcard do u have? or do u have anything plugged into the pci slots??
This same thing has happned with me...i have a zoltrix nightingale pro in one of the pci slots....after this happened a couple of times i just changed the pci slot for the card and there hasnt been any trouble ever since.

I dont think its an overheating issue....but i guess it could be a hardware issuse better get ur mobo checked....

cud be the IDE/power cable to the HDD come lose or something.. used to happen to me once in a while, but that was long back.. there cud be a totally different cause too, but this is all i cud think of now :)

Well only have a n/w card plugged in to PCI, and it has been running for a year now...
The funny thing is that the comp started working soon enuf.. if it is my mobo I will commit suicide... what with all the problems I have faced due to bad grounding which screwed up the PSU several times, plus possible mobo crap... ugh.

From a software point of view ,heres the lowdown:

1.To disable Windows XP feature,designed to automatically reboot each time an error occurs.
1. From the desktop right click on My Computer.
2. Click the Properties option.
3. In the System Properties window click the Advanced tab.
4. In Advanced click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.
5. In the Startup and Recovery window uncheck the Automatically restart check box.
6. Click Ok.
2.Blaster check
symptoms which are :
1. Computer automatically rebooting every five minutes.
2. Mblast.exe is located on machine or seen as a TSR.
3. Computer freezing after first few minutes of booting.
4. Computer causing an unexpected errors after first few minutes after booting.
3.System with the Mpegport.sys driver repeatedly restarts after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005,and occurs if :
-The system includes a legacy hardware DVD decoder that requires the Mpegport.sys driver.
-You installed the 32-bit version of Windows XP SP2 on a computer that supports hardware-enforced data execution prevention (DEP).sourcehttp://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=878474
4.Windows XP logon screen does not appear and the computer continuously restarts
This issue may occur if the Kernel32.dll file is missing or damaged.check out the article from Microsoft Support here.

time to start disconnecting peripherals and see if you can narrow down the faulty part (if theres one)

you still using that gigabyte mobo you had all those problems with last time?

the last time my pc hung at the "detecting drives" stage of bios was with both a faulty rom and another time with a dead hdd

hey KingKrool almost same happened with me also

It happened twice with me.

I was working with PS and Dreamweaver suddenly HDD Light stated glowing suddenly and pc hung , soon i saw BSOD.
I restarted my PC, it said "system boot faliure",i shutdown pc completely , started after som times it was working fine.

I have internet connection from 3 years, i hav Updated AV and Firewall , so i dont think its a known virus or som thing like that.

what i can do to prevent it ???
Is it kind of undetected virus or yet another windows Bug ??.
I run XP Sp2.

Yeah, it is the same old mobo.
But I don't think it is screwed up. It turned out that the wiring to my house was all busted and there was no earthing. Since that was fixed there is not much problem, except the PSU/Mobo still has that {cold boot (from a swithed off UPS etc)-restart once} problem. Otherwise the comp is finally behaviug beautifully. Probably can use it for the next 4 years easy.

Back